Re: [MysticCrossing] Name of housing development proposed for Everett?

  • Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account)
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 25, 2004
      The attachment would not open.  I did find this:
      http://www.essgroup.com/pdf_word_docs/land_dev/mystic_landing.pdf
      But is there something better available on the web?

      EPDMARINE wrote:
      Message
      Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental. Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan attached.

    • EPDMARINE
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
        Message
        Bryce,

        I'm not aware of anything better on the web. The attachment I sent was the conceptual drawing on the .pdf file.

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
          In a similar vein, National Development Corporation is building a
          mixed-use development of several hundred ( 400?) units plus restaurants
          & shops at Wellington Circle. The development will be on 16 acres in
          the southeast corner of the Rt 16/Rt 28 junction ( the large vacant
          parking lot near the Wellington parking garage, President's Landing, and
          Krispy Kreme ).

          It's probably way too late in the process, but I've been wanting to
          contact National Development about how/whether the development links to
          surrounding trails, and whether they'd be interested in helping upgrade
          or enhance some of the trails. It seems to me $100k or less would be
          worth it to them in that it adds desirability & value for the units
          they'll be selling, as well as increasing foot traffic to any
          restaurants in the complex.

          After elections are over I'll have a couple hours per week to pursue
          this. My first thought is to contact Dan Driscoll ( who I've been
          meaning to contact about the Wellington Greenway ). After that I
          figure on pressuring Medford's OCD for more information ( it's like
          pulling teeth ... ) and finally the developer.

          Does anyone have other ideas on how to approach this? Does anyone see
          potential linkage to Mystic Crossing or other projects in the area?

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
            My first reaction is that this is great news.

            It looks like the railroad bridge immediately behind the site, and the
            dam behind that... so the trails will go under the bridge and join with
            the park behind Gateway Mall. Where's the tie-in to B2C?

            Also, any idea on pricing for the condos?

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
              If the housing project moves forward, the developers and future residents
              are natural supporters of a Earhart Dam crossing.

              Heck, they'd be in walking distance to any Assembly Square Orange Line stop.

              If the bridge crossing is achieved with a pedestrian drawbridge over
              each lock,it might even be convenient!

              -Bryce

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                Before the EPA deal to fund the dam crossing, a separate deal was
                brokered for a land swap (the land deal actually lead to the dam deal).
                Check out section "A...B" on this map:

                http://www.geocities.com/mysticcrossing2004/img6.gif

                Unless the land deal closes by February 2005, the settlement reverts to
                a fine. The settlement is now at risk.

                Who might be willing to swing letters of support, encouraging MBTA and
                DCR to come to terms on the transfer? Is anyone willing to take the
                initiative to contact Modern Continental?

                -Bryce "No longer local" Nesbitt

                NB: The MBTA settlement is for the strip of land between the river and
                the edge of the MBTA's parking lot, from route 99 to the dead-end at
                Draw 7 park. The strip is narrow, but not too narrow. The idea is to
                reconstruct the guardrail, and move some of the obstructions (including
                light poles and a fire hydrant). A low fence (e.g. 4 feet) would give
                the path an open and secure feel.

                The MBTA signed the deal, but some forces within the agency are
                concerned about the usual list: security, theft, vandalism, liability.
                There is also an issue of parking, as several parking spots used by
                supervisors would need to be moved back a few feet.

                A traveler on this path would be in full view of route 99 and passing
                boats. Once off MBTA property, a traveler can cross route 99 on the
                sidewalk, or travel a little-used sidewalk to Sullivan Square. On the
                way they'll pass a little-used side entrance to the MBTA facility, which
                is always kept open and unlocked. It's not nice now, but it has real
                potential. And it hooks into the Boston Harborwalk directly!

                The MBTA is trying to substitute the settlement for another route
                through a deserted rail yard and active junkyard. While a more direct
                to Sullivan Square, it is far less attractive. It does not make a
                'great public place'.
              • EPDMARINE
                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                  Message
                  It will connect to B2C through a underpass at the railroad bridge...through the Gateway Center Park across Revere Beach  Parkway Rt. 16 (see below) to Everett's Village Landing park and then into Rivers Edge (Telecom City).

                  The crossing at Rt. 16 is problematic. I would ultimately like to see a boardwalk through Parcel Z (the wetlands northwest of the mall) with an underpass at the new fixed span lower Rt 16 bridge (expected on the TIF in 6-10 years). Until then the issue of pedestrian/bike crossing at Rat 16 needs to be addressed. Developers of the mall did not expect the currant volume of foot traffic . A pedestrian bridge would be a great option.

                  EPDMARINE wrote:

                  > Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto
                  > shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental.
                  > Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public
                  > access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan
                  > attached.

                • EPDMARINE
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                    Message
                    You should also be aware that there are plans for development old the Charlestown Navy Yard Lot 5 (where Testa currently has a Big Dig laydown yard) alongside the Little Mystic Channel. This would be the 5th mixed use development along the water within a mile of each other. I have contacted the Rivers Edge developer regarding a water based transportation link. This developer (John Preotle) was instrumental in the design phase of the Wellington Greenway). There are many possibility here. Perhaps we should hold a Mystic Crossing meeting in the near future to discuss these and other issues?

                    EPDMARINE wrote:

                    > Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto
                    > shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental.
                    > Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public
                    > access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan
                    > attached.

                  • EPDMARINE
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                      Message
                      Great photos Bryce!

                      I am unaware of the Feb 05 deadline and hope the EPA will work towards an extension (if not already underway). A letter writing campaign would be very appropriate. I would suggest contacting local state reps and senators for support.

                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                        Feb 2005 IS the extended deadline. Here's the legal agreement:

                        APPENDIX E
                        Scope of Work
                        Supplemental Environmental Project
                        Mystic River Path Extension

                        A. Supplemental Environmental Project Description (SEP)

                        1. The MBTA shall donate or place a conservation easement on at least
                        one acre of MBTA-owned property (the “Property”) so that the Mystic
                        River Path may be extended from the Draw Seven Park in Somerville,
                        Massachusetts, to Route 99 in Boston. A map of the proposed path
                        extension is attached (although the map does not indicate the width of
                        the path, which will vary along its length). The primary purpose of the
                        SEP is to promote bicycle commuting into Boston, which should reduce air
                        and water pollution associated with car commuting. Also, although this
                        SEP does not include the design or construction of the path, the design
                        is expected to incorporate several elements that will reduce pollution
                        carried to the river through stormwater runoff. In addition, the
                        Property is expected to be capped (either with new soil or paving
                        materials) to reduce risks from any pre-existing contamination that may
                        be in the soils.

                        2. While the parties recognize that the property width will vary in
                        places, the Property should:

                        (a) run along the Mystic River from the Draw Seven Park to Route 99,
                        unless EPA agrees in writing that another course for the path is
                        acceptable;

                        (b) consist of at least 1 acre; and

                        (c) at its most narrow point, be sufficiently wide to allow for the
                        construction of a seven foot-wide path.

                        3. MBTA shall do its best to contain costs associated with the design
                        and construction of the path by reducing path constriction points to the
                        bare minimum. For example, where MBTA can help lower the costs
                        associated with designing and building the path by moving private car
                        parking spots to another location within the bus yard or to one of
                        MBTA’s adjacent properties, MBTA shall do so.

                        4. If MBTA chooses to place a conservation easement on the Property
                        instead of donating it in fee simple, the conservation easement shall
                        name the United States as a third party beneficiary so that the United
                        States has the authority to enforce the easement. Any land transfer
                        document shall require the Property to remain in perpetuity as a public
                        park.

                        5. Access: MBTA shall provide access at all reasonable times to
                        employees of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation Resources,
                        MassBike, the cities of Somerville and Boston, utility companies,
                        contractors and EPA to facilitate the design and construction of the
                        path. It is understood that such employees will need to observe MBTA
                        safety procedures. In addition, MBTA shall provide public access to the
                        path once it is complete.

                        B. SEP Deadlines

                        The following table describes the deadlines for completing the SEP.

                        Date
                        Action Required
                        Responsible party
                        Whether Stipulated Penalties apply

                        April 30, 2004
                        Determine whether the land transfer shall be in fee simple or through a
                        conservation easement and whether the grantee(s) shall be the Cities of
                        Somerville and Boston or the Massachusetts Department of Conservation
                        and Recreation.
                        MBTA
                        no

                        May 31, 2004
                        Submit to EPA a survey indicating the boundaries of the land that will
                        be donated or placed under a conservation easement (“the property”).
                        MBTA
                        no

                        June 30, 2004
                        Submit a draft conservation easement or property transfer agreement to EPA.
                        MBTA
                        yes

                        July 31, 2004
                        EPA shall comment on the draft conservation easement or property
                        transfer agreement, if EPA chooses to comment at all.
                        EPA
                        no

                        December 31, 2004
                        Property transfer/placement of easement must be complete.
                        MBTA
                        yes
                      • EPDMARINE
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                          Message
                          ouch!

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004

                            EPDMARINE wrote:
                            Message
                            ouch!
                            Ouch, yes.  Yet they've taken the first few steps.  It is not too late.  But it won't happen unless some fires start getting lit under people's behinds.

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 30, 2004
                              Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
                              Donato and Shannon.

                              Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside that
                              area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ? Does
                              Jehlens district cover the Somerville side of the dam?

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
                                valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
                                be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
                                the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
                                Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
                                willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

                                For lists of officials, see:
                                http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

                                Or for detailed district boundaries check:
                                http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
                                Or simply click here for a great view
                                http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
                                Or here:
                                http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
                                I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
                                show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

                                The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
                                Senator Shannon and Barrios.

                                -Bryce

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                  I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                                  I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

                                  I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                                  through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                                  Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                                  Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

                                  Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                                  familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
                                  Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
                                  Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
                                  hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

                                  As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
                                  The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
                                  nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
                                  the house a mess...

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                    The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

                                    1) North Point, Cambridge
                                    2) Charlestown Navy Yard
                                    3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
                                    4) Mystic Place, Medford
                                    5) Mystic Landing, Everett

                                    I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
                                    waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
                                    stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
                                    developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
                                    coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
                                    around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
                                    outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

                                    What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
                                    ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

                                    Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
                                    small sailboat...

                                    Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
                                    early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
                                    letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                      Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

                                      So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

                                      http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
                                        With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
                                        DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
                                        to fines.

                                        I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
                                        Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
                                        Harborwalk/
                                        The Boston Harbor Association.

                                        Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
                                        in the balance.
                                        Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

                                        -Bryce Nesbitt

                                        Robert Mela wrote:

                                        >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                                        >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
                                        >
                                        >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                                        >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                                        >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                                        >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
                                        >
                                        >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                                        >familiar with Medford...

                                        DATE

                                        Dear MBTA;

                                        In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
                                        pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
                                        agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
                                        deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
                                        project may be substituted.

                                        The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
                                        Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
                                        attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
                                        industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
                                        transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
                                        transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
                                        Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
                                        residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
                                        Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
                                        well as a transportation win.

                                        We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
                                        utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
                                        the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
                                        mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
                                        employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
                                        break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
                                        sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
                                        physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
                                        crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
                                        cyclists such a pathway will attract.

                                        We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
                                        land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
                                        on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
                                        99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

                                        We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
                                        envisioned.

                                        Dorie Clark
                                        Executive Director
                                        Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

                                        Cc:
                                        Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
                                        Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
                                        Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

                                        Attachments:
                                        Map
                                        Retouched Photo
                                        Copy of consent decree
                                      • kenmedford
                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                          --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                          > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                          EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                          into the party?

                                          I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                          the Mystic River.

                                          I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                          Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                                          - Ken Krause
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                            Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                                            kenmedford wrote:

                                            >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                            >

                                            >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                            >>

                                            >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                            >into the party?
                                            >
                                            >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                            >the Mystic River.
                                            >
                                            >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                            >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                                            >
                                            >- Ken Krause

                                          • kenmedford
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                              --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: