RE: [MysticCrossing] Name of housing development proposed for Everett?

  • EPDMARINE
    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 25 8:38 PM
      Message
      Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental. Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan attached.

      Myst Land Be.jpg

      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 25 9:02 PM
        The attachment would not open.  I did find this:
        http://www.essgroup.com/pdf_word_docs/land_dev/mystic_landing.pdf
        But is there something better available on the web?

        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 26 4:52 AM
          Message
          Bryce,

          I'm not aware of anything better on the web. The attachment I sent was the conceptual drawing on the .pdf file.

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 26 6:15 PM
            In a similar vein, National Development Corporation is building a
            mixed-use development of several hundred ( 400?) units plus restaurants
            & shops at Wellington Circle. The development will be on 16 acres in
            the southeast corner of the Rt 16/Rt 28 junction ( the large vacant
            parking lot near the Wellington parking garage, President's Landing, and
            Krispy Kreme ).

            It's probably way too late in the process, but I've been wanting to
            contact National Development about how/whether the development links to
            surrounding trails, and whether they'd be interested in helping upgrade
            or enhance some of the trails. It seems to me $100k or less would be
            worth it to them in that it adds desirability & value for the units
            they'll be selling, as well as increasing foot traffic to any
            restaurants in the complex.

            After elections are over I'll have a couple hours per week to pursue
            this. My first thought is to contact Dan Driscoll ( who I've been
            meaning to contact about the Wellington Greenway ). After that I
            figure on pressuring Medford's OCD for more information ( it's like
            pulling teeth ... ) and finally the developer.

            Does anyone have other ideas on how to approach this? Does anyone see
            potential linkage to Mystic Crossing or other projects in the area?

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 26 6:46 PM
              My first reaction is that this is great news.

              It looks like the railroad bridge immediately behind the site, and the
              dam behind that... so the trails will go under the bridge and join with
              the park behind Gateway Mall. Where's the tie-in to B2C?

              Also, any idea on pricing for the condos?

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 26 6:54 PM
                If the housing project moves forward, the developers and future residents
                are natural supporters of a Earhart Dam crossing.

                Heck, they'd be in walking distance to any Assembly Square Orange Line stop.

                If the bridge crossing is achieved with a pedestrian drawbridge over
                each lock,it might even be convenient!

                -Bryce

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 26 7:05 PM
                  Before the EPA deal to fund the dam crossing, a separate deal was
                  brokered for a land swap (the land deal actually lead to the dam deal).
                  Check out section "A...B" on this map:

                  http://www.geocities.com/mysticcrossing2004/img6.gif

                  Unless the land deal closes by February 2005, the settlement reverts to
                  a fine. The settlement is now at risk.

                  Who might be willing to swing letters of support, encouraging MBTA and
                  DCR to come to terms on the transfer? Is anyone willing to take the
                  initiative to contact Modern Continental?

                  -Bryce "No longer local" Nesbitt

                  NB: The MBTA settlement is for the strip of land between the river and
                  the edge of the MBTA's parking lot, from route 99 to the dead-end at
                  Draw 7 park. The strip is narrow, but not too narrow. The idea is to
                  reconstruct the guardrail, and move some of the obstructions (including
                  light poles and a fire hydrant). A low fence (e.g. 4 feet) would give
                  the path an open and secure feel.

                  The MBTA signed the deal, but some forces within the agency are
                  concerned about the usual list: security, theft, vandalism, liability.
                  There is also an issue of parking, as several parking spots used by
                  supervisors would need to be moved back a few feet.

                  A traveler on this path would be in full view of route 99 and passing
                  boats. Once off MBTA property, a traveler can cross route 99 on the
                  sidewalk, or travel a little-used sidewalk to Sullivan Square. On the
                  way they'll pass a little-used side entrance to the MBTA facility, which
                  is always kept open and unlocked. It's not nice now, but it has real
                  potential. And it hooks into the Boston Harborwalk directly!

                  The MBTA is trying to substitute the settlement for another route
                  through a deserted rail yard and active junkyard. While a more direct
                  to Sullivan Square, it is far less attractive. It does not make a
                  'great public place'.
                • EPDMARINE
                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 26 8:00 PM
                    Message
                    It will connect to B2C through a underpass at the railroad bridge...through the Gateway Center Park across Revere Beach  Parkway Rt. 16 (see below) to Everett's Village Landing park and then into Rivers Edge (Telecom City).

                    The crossing at Rt. 16 is problematic. I would ultimately like to see a boardwalk through Parcel Z (the wetlands northwest of the mall) with an underpass at the new fixed span lower Rt 16 bridge (expected on the TIF in 6-10 years). Until then the issue of pedestrian/bike crossing at Rat 16 needs to be addressed. Developers of the mall did not expect the currant volume of foot traffic . A pedestrian bridge would be a great option.

                    EPDMARINE wrote:

                    > Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto
                    > shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental.
                    > Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public
                    > access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan
                    > attached.

                  • EPDMARINE
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 26 8:08 PM
                      Message
                      You should also be aware that there are plans for development old the Charlestown Navy Yard Lot 5 (where Testa currently has a Big Dig laydown yard) alongside the Little Mystic Channel. This would be the 5th mixed use development along the water within a mile of each other. I have contacted the Rivers Edge developer regarding a water based transportation link. This developer (John Preotle) was instrumental in the design phase of the Wellington Greenway). There are many possibility here. Perhaps we should hold a Mystic Crossing meeting in the near future to discuss these and other issues?

                      EPDMARINE wrote:

                      > Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto
                      > shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental.
                      > Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public
                      > access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan
                      > attached.

                    • EPDMARINE
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 26 8:16 PM
                        Message
                        Great photos Bryce!

                        I am unaware of the Feb 05 deadline and hope the EPA will work towards an extension (if not already underway). A letter writing campaign would be very appropriate. I would suggest contacting local state reps and senators for support.

                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 26 9:33 PM
                          Feb 2005 IS the extended deadline. Here's the legal agreement:

                          APPENDIX E
                          Scope of Work
                          Supplemental Environmental Project
                          Mystic River Path Extension

                          A. Supplemental Environmental Project Description (SEP)

                          1. The MBTA shall donate or place a conservation easement on at least
                          one acre of MBTA-owned property (the “Property”) so that the Mystic
                          River Path may be extended from the Draw Seven Park in Somerville,
                          Massachusetts, to Route 99 in Boston. A map of the proposed path
                          extension is attached (although the map does not indicate the width of
                          the path, which will vary along its length). The primary purpose of the
                          SEP is to promote bicycle commuting into Boston, which should reduce air
                          and water pollution associated with car commuting. Also, although this
                          SEP does not include the design or construction of the path, the design
                          is expected to incorporate several elements that will reduce pollution
                          carried to the river through stormwater runoff. In addition, the
                          Property is expected to be capped (either with new soil or paving
                          materials) to reduce risks from any pre-existing contamination that may
                          be in the soils.

                          2. While the parties recognize that the property width will vary in
                          places, the Property should:

                          (a) run along the Mystic River from the Draw Seven Park to Route 99,
                          unless EPA agrees in writing that another course for the path is
                          acceptable;

                          (b) consist of at least 1 acre; and

                          (c) at its most narrow point, be sufficiently wide to allow for the
                          construction of a seven foot-wide path.

                          3. MBTA shall do its best to contain costs associated with the design
                          and construction of the path by reducing path constriction points to the
                          bare minimum. For example, where MBTA can help lower the costs
                          associated with designing and building the path by moving private car
                          parking spots to another location within the bus yard or to one of
                          MBTA’s adjacent properties, MBTA shall do so.

                          4. If MBTA chooses to place a conservation easement on the Property
                          instead of donating it in fee simple, the conservation easement shall
                          name the United States as a third party beneficiary so that the United
                          States has the authority to enforce the easement. Any land transfer
                          document shall require the Property to remain in perpetuity as a public
                          park.

                          5. Access: MBTA shall provide access at all reasonable times to
                          employees of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation Resources,
                          MassBike, the cities of Somerville and Boston, utility companies,
                          contractors and EPA to facilitate the design and construction of the
                          path. It is understood that such employees will need to observe MBTA
                          safety procedures. In addition, MBTA shall provide public access to the
                          path once it is complete.

                          B. SEP Deadlines

                          The following table describes the deadlines for completing the SEP.

                          Date
                          Action Required
                          Responsible party
                          Whether Stipulated Penalties apply

                          April 30, 2004
                          Determine whether the land transfer shall be in fee simple or through a
                          conservation easement and whether the grantee(s) shall be the Cities of
                          Somerville and Boston or the Massachusetts Department of Conservation
                          and Recreation.
                          MBTA
                          no

                          May 31, 2004
                          Submit to EPA a survey indicating the boundaries of the land that will
                          be donated or placed under a conservation easement (“the property”).
                          MBTA
                          no

                          June 30, 2004
                          Submit a draft conservation easement or property transfer agreement to EPA.
                          MBTA
                          yes

                          July 31, 2004
                          EPA shall comment on the draft conservation easement or property
                          transfer agreement, if EPA chooses to comment at all.
                          EPA
                          no

                          December 31, 2004
                          Property transfer/placement of easement must be complete.
                          MBTA
                          yes
                        • EPDMARINE
                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 26 9:42 PM
                            Message
                            ouch!

                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 26 10:53 PM

                              EPDMARINE wrote:
                              Message
                              ouch!
                              Ouch, yes.  Yet they've taken the first few steps.  It is not too late.  But it won't happen unless some fires start getting lit under people's behinds.

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 30 7:00 PM
                                Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
                                Donato and Shannon.

                                Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside that
                                area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ? Does
                                Jehlens district cover the Somerville side of the dam?

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 31 12:07 AM
                                  YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
                                  valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
                                  be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
                                  the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
                                  Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
                                  willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

                                  For lists of officials, see:
                                  http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

                                  Or for detailed district boundaries check:
                                  http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
                                  Or simply click here for a great view
                                  http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
                                  Or here:
                                  http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
                                  I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
                                  show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

                                  The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
                                  Senator Shannon and Barrios.

                                  -Bryce

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 31 7:32 AM
                                    I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                                    I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

                                    I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                                    through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                                    Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                                    Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

                                    Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                                    familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
                                    Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
                                    Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
                                    hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

                                    As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
                                    The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
                                    nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
                                    the house a mess...

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 31 7:57 AM
                                      The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

                                      1) North Point, Cambridge
                                      2) Charlestown Navy Yard
                                      3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
                                      4) Mystic Place, Medford
                                      5) Mystic Landing, Everett

                                      I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
                                      waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
                                      stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
                                      developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
                                      coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
                                      around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
                                      outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

                                      What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
                                      ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

                                      Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
                                      small sailboat...

                                      Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
                                      early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
                                      letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 31 6:22 PM
                                        Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

                                        So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

                                        http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
                                          With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
                                          DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
                                          to fines.

                                          I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
                                          Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
                                          Harborwalk/
                                          The Boston Harbor Association.

                                          Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
                                          in the balance.
                                          Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

                                          -Bryce Nesbitt

                                          Robert Mela wrote:

                                          >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                                          >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
                                          >
                                          >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                                          >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                                          >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                                          >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
                                          >
                                          >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                                          >familiar with Medford...

                                          DATE

                                          Dear MBTA;

                                          In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
                                          pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
                                          agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
                                          deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
                                          project may be substituted.

                                          The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
                                          Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
                                          attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
                                          industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
                                          transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
                                          transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
                                          Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
                                          residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
                                          Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
                                          well as a transportation win.

                                          We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
                                          utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
                                          the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
                                          mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
                                          employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
                                          break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
                                          sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
                                          physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
                                          crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
                                          cyclists such a pathway will attract.

                                          We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
                                          land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
                                          on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
                                          99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

                                          We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
                                          envisioned.

                                          Dorie Clark
                                          Executive Director
                                          Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

                                          Cc:
                                          Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
                                          Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
                                          Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

                                          Attachments:
                                          Map
                                          Retouched Photo
                                          Copy of consent decree
                                        • kenmedford
                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                            --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                            > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                            EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                            into the party?

                                            I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                            the Mystic River.

                                            I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                            Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                                            - Ken Krause
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                              Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                                              kenmedford wrote:

                                              >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                              >

                                              >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                              >>

                                              >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                              >into the party?
                                              >
                                              >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                              >the Mystic River.
                                              >
                                              >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                              >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                                              >
                                              >- Ken Krause

                                            • kenmedford
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                                --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: