Name of housing development proposed for Everett?

    Message 1 of 23 , Oct 25, 2004
      There is a housing development proposed for Everett, on the Mystic,
      between Route 99 and the commuter rail tracks. Can anyone fill in
      details of the developer's name, website, and/or project status? I
      understand the developers were proposing a water taxi to get commuters
      to Boston.
    • EPDMARINE
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 25, 2004
        Message
        Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental. Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan attached.

        Myst Land Be.jpg

        There is a housing development proposed for Everett, on the Mystic,
        between Route 99 and the commuter rail tracks.  Can anyone fill in
        details of the developer's name, website, and/or project status?  I
        understand the developers were proposing a water taxi to get commuters
        to Boston.

      • Bryce Nesbitt (mailing list account)
        Message 3 of 23 , Oct 25, 2004
          The attachment would not open.  I did find this:
          http://www.essgroup.com/pdf_word_docs/land_dev/mystic_landing.pdf
          But is there something better available on the web?

          Message 4 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
            Message
            Bryce,

            I'm not aware of anything better on the web. The attachment I sent was the conceptual drawing on the .pdf file.

            Message 5 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
              In a similar vein, National Development Corporation is building a
              mixed-use development of several hundred ( 400?) units plus restaurants
              & shops at Wellington Circle. The development will be on 16 acres in
              the southeast corner of the Rt 16/Rt 28 junction ( the large vacant
              parking lot near the Wellington parking garage, President's Landing, and
              Krispy Kreme ).

              It's probably way too late in the process, but I've been wanting to
              contact National Development about how/whether the development links to
              surrounding trails, and whether they'd be interested in helping upgrade
              or enhance some of the trails. It seems to me $100k or less would be
              worth it to them in that it adds desirability & value for the units
              they'll be selling, as well as increasing foot traffic to any
              restaurants in the complex.

              After elections are over I'll have a couple hours per week to pursue
              this. My first thought is to contact Dan Driscoll ( who I've been
              meaning to contact about the Wellington Greenway ). After that I
              figure on pressuring Medford's OCD for more information ( it's like
              pulling teeth ... ) and finally the developer.

              Does anyone have other ideas on how to approach this? Does anyone see
              potential linkage to Mystic Crossing or other projects in the area?

              Message 6 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                My first reaction is that this is great news.

                It looks like the railroad bridge immediately behind the site, and the
                dam behind that... so the trails will go under the bridge and join with
                the park behind Gateway Mall. Where's the tie-in to B2C?

                Also, any idea on pricing for the condos?

                Message 7 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                  If the housing project moves forward, the developers and future residents
                  are natural supporters of a Earhart Dam crossing.

                  Heck, they'd be in walking distance to any Assembly Square Orange Line stop.

                  If the bridge crossing is achieved with a pedestrian drawbridge over
                  each lock,it might even be convenient!

                  -Bryce

                  Message 8 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                    Before the EPA deal to fund the dam crossing, a separate deal was
                    brokered for a land swap (the land deal actually lead to the dam deal).
                    Check out section "A...B" on this map:

                    http://www.geocities.com/mysticcrossing2004/img6.gif

                    Unless the land deal closes by February 2005, the settlement reverts to
                    a fine. The settlement is now at risk.

                    Who might be willing to swing letters of support, encouraging MBTA and
                    DCR to come to terms on the transfer? Is anyone willing to take the
                    initiative to contact Modern Continental?

                    -Bryce "No longer local" Nesbitt

                    NB: The MBTA settlement is for the strip of land between the river and
                    the edge of the MBTA's parking lot, from route 99 to the dead-end at
                    Draw 7 park. The strip is narrow, but not too narrow. The idea is to
                    reconstruct the guardrail, and move some of the obstructions (including
                    light poles and a fire hydrant). A low fence (e.g. 4 feet) would give
                    the path an open and secure feel.

                    The MBTA signed the deal, but some forces within the agency are
                    concerned about the usual list: security, theft, vandalism, liability.
                    There is also an issue of parking, as several parking spots used by
                    supervisors would need to be moved back a few feet.

                    A traveler on this path would be in full view of route 99 and passing
                    boats. Once off MBTA property, a traveler can cross route 99 on the
                    sidewalk, or travel a little-used sidewalk to Sullivan Square. On the
                    way they'll pass a little-used side entrance to the MBTA facility, which
                    is always kept open and unlocked. It's not nice now, but it has real
                    potential. And it hooks into the Boston Harborwalk directly!

                    The MBTA is trying to substitute the settlement for another route
                    through a deserted rail yard and active junkyard. While a more direct
                    to Sullivan Square, it is far less attractive. It does not make a
                    'great public place'.
                  • EPDMARINE
                    Message 9 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                      Message
                      It will connect to B2C through a underpass at the railroad bridge...through the Gateway Center Park across Revere Beach  Parkway Rt. 16 (see below) to Everett's Village Landing park and then into Rivers Edge (Telecom City).

                      The crossing at Rt. 16 is problematic. I would ultimately like to see a boardwalk through Parcel Z (the wetlands northwest of the mall) with an underpass at the new fixed span lower Rt 16 bridge (expected on the TIF in 6-10 years). Until then the issue of pedestrian/bike crossing at Rat 16 needs to be addressed. Developers of the mall did not expect the currant volume of foot traffic . A pedestrian bridge would be a great option.

                      EPDMARINE wrote:

                      > Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto
                      > shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental.
                      > Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public
                      > access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan
                      > attached.

                    • EPDMARINE
                      Message 10 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                        Message
                        You should also be aware that there are plans for development old the Charlestown Navy Yard Lot 5 (where Testa currently has a Big Dig laydown yard) alongside the Little Mystic Channel. This would be the 5th mixed use development along the water within a mile of each other. I have contacted the Rivers Edge developer regarding a water based transportation link. This developer (John Preotle) was instrumental in the design phase of the Wellington Greenway). There are many possibility here. Perhaps we should hold a Mystic Crossing meeting in the near future to discuss these and other issues?

                        EPDMARINE wrote:

                        > Mystic Landing is the proposed development at the old Monsanto
                        > shipping/receiving/ admin site currently owned by Modern Continental.
                        > Proposed plans include 530 residential units and a marina. Public
                        > access trails (to Bike to the Sea, etc) will be accommodated. Plan
                        > attached.

                      • EPDMARINE
                        Message 11 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                          Message
                          Great photos Bryce!

                          I am unaware of the Feb 05 deadline and hope the EPA will work towards an extension (if not already underway). A letter writing campaign would be very appropriate. I would suggest contacting local state reps and senators for support.

                          Message 12 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                            Feb 2005 IS the extended deadline. Here's the legal agreement:

                            APPENDIX E
                            Scope of Work
                            Supplemental Environmental Project
                            Mystic River Path Extension

                            A. Supplemental Environmental Project Description (SEP)

                            1. The MBTA shall donate or place a conservation easement on at least
                            one acre of MBTA-owned property (the “Property”) so that the Mystic
                            River Path may be extended from the Draw Seven Park in Somerville,
                            Massachusetts, to Route 99 in Boston. A map of the proposed path
                            extension is attached (although the map does not indicate the width of
                            the path, which will vary along its length). The primary purpose of the
                            SEP is to promote bicycle commuting into Boston, which should reduce air
                            and water pollution associated with car commuting. Also, although this
                            SEP does not include the design or construction of the path, the design
                            is expected to incorporate several elements that will reduce pollution
                            carried to the river through stormwater runoff. In addition, the
                            Property is expected to be capped (either with new soil or paving
                            materials) to reduce risks from any pre-existing contamination that may
                            be in the soils.

                            2. While the parties recognize that the property width will vary in
                            places, the Property should:

                            (a) run along the Mystic River from the Draw Seven Park to Route 99,
                            unless EPA agrees in writing that another course for the path is
                            acceptable;

                            (b) consist of at least 1 acre; and

                            (c) at its most narrow point, be sufficiently wide to allow for the
                            construction of a seven foot-wide path.

                            3. MBTA shall do its best to contain costs associated with the design
                            and construction of the path by reducing path constriction points to the
                            bare minimum. For example, where MBTA can help lower the costs
                            associated with designing and building the path by moving private car
                            parking spots to another location within the bus yard or to one of
                            MBTA’s adjacent properties, MBTA shall do so.

                            4. If MBTA chooses to place a conservation easement on the Property
                            instead of donating it in fee simple, the conservation easement shall
                            name the United States as a third party beneficiary so that the United
                            States has the authority to enforce the easement. Any land transfer
                            document shall require the Property to remain in perpetuity as a public
                            park.

                            5. Access: MBTA shall provide access at all reasonable times to
                            employees of the Massachusetts Department of Conservation Resources,
                            MassBike, the cities of Somerville and Boston, utility companies,
                            contractors and EPA to facilitate the design and construction of the
                            path. It is understood that such employees will need to observe MBTA
                            safety procedures. In addition, MBTA shall provide public access to the
                            path once it is complete.

                            B. SEP Deadlines

                            The following table describes the deadlines for completing the SEP.

                            Date
                            Action Required
                            Responsible party
                            Whether Stipulated Penalties apply

                            April 30, 2004
                            Determine whether the land transfer shall be in fee simple or through a
                            conservation easement and whether the grantee(s) shall be the Cities of
                            Somerville and Boston or the Massachusetts Department of Conservation
                            and Recreation.
                            MBTA
                            no

                            May 31, 2004
                            Submit to EPA a survey indicating the boundaries of the land that will
                            be donated or placed under a conservation easement (“the property”).
                            MBTA
                            no

                            June 30, 2004
                            Submit a draft conservation easement or property transfer agreement to EPA.
                            MBTA
                            yes

                            July 31, 2004
                            EPA shall comment on the draft conservation easement or property
                            transfer agreement, if EPA chooses to comment at all.
                            EPA
                            no

                            December 31, 2004
                            Property transfer/placement of easement must be complete.
                            MBTA
                            yes
                          • EPDMARINE
                            Message 13 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004
                              Message
                              ouch!

                              Message 14 of 23 , Oct 26, 2004

                                EPDMARINE wrote:
                                Message
                                ouch!
                                Ouch, yes.  Yet they've taken the first few steps.  It is not too late.  But it won't happen unless some fires start getting lit under people's behinds.

                                Message 15 of 23 , Oct 30, 2004
                                  Who are the reps and senators for that area? Mine in Medford are
                                  Donato and Shannon.

                                  Would it be useful to contact potentially supportive reps outside that
                                  area ( e.g., Paulsen, Marzilli, Sciortino [ if he wins...] ) ? Does
                                  Jehlens district cover the Somerville side of the dam?

                                  Message 16 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                    YES! Any rep who is willing to write a letter to the MBTA and DCR is
                                    valuable here. Any rep with a district within walking distance should
                                    be a supporter. Connecting the Boston Harborwalk to miles of trails up
                                    the Mystic should be very popular, even with representatives of other
                                    Harborwalk districts all the way down the shoreline. If you're
                                    willing to make the contacts, more power to you!

                                    For lists of officials, see:
                                    http://www.wheredoivotema.com/bal/myelectioninfo.php

                                    Or for detailed district boundaries check:
                                    http://www.mass.gov/mgis/mapping.htm
                                    Or simply click here for a great view
                                    http://tinyurl.com/4q7bq
                                    Or here:
                                    http://tinyurl.com/5d9b4
                                    I submitted both EPA settlements to the state GIS office, so they'll
                                    show on the maps above. Just turn on feature Conservation/Trails/Bicycle.

                                    The land swap spans the districts of Rep O'Flaherty and Toomey, and
                                    Senator Shannon and Barrios.

                                    -Bryce

                                    Message 17 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                      I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                                      I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.

                                      I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                                      through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                                      Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                                      Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.

                                      Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                                      familiar with Medford and only vaguely familiar with Somerville. For
                                      Malden and Everett I have no clue, but I figure Steve Winslow & Patrick
                                      Johnson have those covered... Although half the Medford City Council
                                      hates me, the other half might be willing to sign a letter.

                                      As for meetings -- dinner / childrens' bedtime is a non-starter for me.
                                      The time I have to contribute is generally between 10 PM and 11 PM on
                                      nights when I don't get paged from work and/or can get away with leaving
                                      the house a mess...

                                      Message 18 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                        The 5 mixed use developments -- are they

                                        1) North Point, Cambridge
                                        2) Charlestown Navy Yard
                                        3) Rivers Edge, tri-city
                                        4) Mystic Place, Medford
                                        5) Mystic Landing, Everett

                                        I was in Baltimore part of last week. What they've done with the
                                        waterfront in just two decades has been astounding, and it hasn't
                                        stopped. There's new office construction, and there are new residential
                                        developments on the south side of the inner harbor. The old warships,
                                        coast guard cutter, lighthouse ship... all that are neatly integrated
                                        around rental pedalboats, restaurants, the Hard Rock Cafe, an
                                        outstanding acquarium, childrens museum, etc. & etc...

                                        What's happening along the Mystic has all sorts of potential & positive
                                        ramifications. I just hope it's done well.

                                        Actually, I'd just be happy with sailboat rentals or a place to keep a
                                        small sailboat...

                                        Unfortunately meetings are a no-go for me unless its teleconference
                                        early AM or after childrens bed time. The best I can do is write
                                        letters, start a blog or web site & try to make some contacts.

                                        Message 19 of 23 , Oct 31, 2004
                                          Oh... I see.... Assembly Square, not North Point.

                                          So Assembly Square is going mixed-use rather than Big Box after all?

                                          http://www.ci.somerville.ma.us/departments/development/FinalASMDZoning042204.pdf

                                          Message 20 of 23 , Nov 4, 2004
                                            With the elections out of the way, what's next? Letters to the MBTA and
                                            DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two EPA settlements from reverting
                                            to fines.

                                            I motivated a letter from the MassBike executive director. The
                                            Charles River Waterfront Coalition has promised one. I'm working on
                                            Harborwalk/
                                            The Boston Harbor Association.

                                            Who else is willing to jump into the party? A great public place hangs
                                            in the balance.
                                            Now is when a small effort can have a big payback.

                                            -Bryce Nesbitt

                                            Robert Mela wrote:

                                            >I know Sciortino will be supportive ( he's trying to live car-free ).
                                            >I'm pretty well tied up until Tuesday helping his campaign.
                                            >
                                            >I'll work on letters & contacts over the next couple weeks once we get
                                            >through this election. Barrios has been a good friend of Bike to the
                                            >Sea, I imagine Pat Jehlen will be for it, as well as Jim Marzilli, and
                                            >Anne Paulsen, though they're a bit further afield.
                                            >
                                            >Would it help to get city councillors / aldermen on board? I'm
                                            >familiar with Medford...

                                            DATE

                                            Dear MBTA;

                                            In 2003 the EPA levied a fine against the MBTA, for (among other things)
                                            pollution in the Mystic River. As part of the settlement, the MBTA
                                            agreed to a land transfer. We are writing out of concern that the
                                            deadlines imposed by the EPA are fast approaching, and that an inferior
                                            project may be substituted.

                                            The settlement's land transfer creates a multi-use pathway between
                                            Sullivan Square, the Boston Harbor Walk, and Assembly Square (see
                                            attached maps). This is an area heavily impacted by decades of dirty
                                            industrial use by many parties, but undergoing redevelopment. The
                                            transfer would allow the MBTA to help create a great public place, and a
                                            transportation link at the same time. The link hooks the Boston Harbor
                                            Walk into scenic pathways up the Mystic River, and puts a new
                                            residential development within walking distance of the proposed Assembly
                                            Square Orange Line Stop. The project will be a public relations win, as
                                            well as a transportation win.

                                            We understand there are certain concerns: security, safety, lighting,
                                            utility obstructions, and loss of several supervisory parking spots at
                                            the Charlestown Bus Yard. We feel that all these concerns can be
                                            mitigated in the project design stage. We believe that bus yard
                                            employees will come to appreciate the new parkland created, on lunch
                                            break. We firmly believe that attracting legitimate users to this
                                            sparsely trafficked area enhances, and does not detract from, the
                                            physical security of the facility. As cyclists, we believe that the
                                            crossing of the bus yard entrance can be made safe even for the novice
                                            cyclists such a pathway will attract.

                                            We urge you not to substitute projects in this case. The river's edge
                                            land transfer offers sweeping vistas of the Mystic River, and travelers
                                            on the path will be visible to passing boats and to drivers on route
                                            99. The alternative proposed route would not have these advantages.

                                            We urge you to move up the priority of this land transfer, as originally
                                            envisioned.

                                            Dorie Clark
                                            Executive Director
                                            Massachusetts Bicycle Coalition

                                            Cc:
                                            Janice Kearny, MBTA Environmental
                                            Kathy Abbott, DCR Commissioner
                                            Dan Driscoll, DCR Planning

                                            Attachments:
                                            Map
                                            Retouched Photo
                                            Copy of consent decree
                                          • kenmedford
                                            Message 21 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                              --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                              > Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                              EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                              into the party?

                                              I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                              the Mystic River.

                                              I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                              Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.

                                              - Ken Krause
                                              Message 22 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                                Great! And how about Walk Boston?

                                                kenmedford wrote:

                                                >--- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote:
                                                >

                                                >>Letters to the MBTA and DCR are urgently needed, to keep these two
                                                >>

                                                >EPA settlements from reverting to fines. Who else is willing to jump
                                                >into the party?
                                                >
                                                >I can get letters sent from the Medford BiPeds and the Friends of
                                                >the Mystic River.
                                                >
                                                >I can also ask Medford Mayor McGlynn, State Rep. Marzilli and the
                                                >Mystic River Watershed Assn. to send one.
                                                >
                                                >- Ken Krause

                                              • kenmedford
                                                Message 23 of 23 , Nov 5, 2004
                                                  --- Bryce Nesbitt <bryce1@o...> wrote: