Summary of meeting with DCR Commissioner/Planner Dan Driscoll

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
      Forwarded from the path friends list:
      -------------------------------------

      From: alanjane@...
      Subject: [pathfriends-active] meeting summary

      On Thursday, Oct. 21, at the annual Mystic River Watershed Association
      meeting, Wig Zigmore asked what was the status of the transfer of land
      from MBTA to the DCR for a Path along the Mystic River from Draw Seven
      Park in Somerville to Charlestown [at Route 99]. Dan Driscoll
      reported that the deadline to arrange this "deal" has been extended to
      February 2005 but that the MBTA was concerned about safety for their
      buses and the DCR is concerned that the Path will be too narrow. Dan
      said he had spoken to the MBTA last week and is continuing to discuss
      the issue.

      He also mentioned that they are studying the proposed ped. access to
      cross the Amelia Earhart dam and that they are in agreement in concept
      but that such a crossing will not be easy to implement.

      Alan Moore

      http://pathfriends.org/
    • Robert Winters
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
        At 12:34 PM 10/22/2004, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
        >From: alanjane@...
        >Subject: [pathfriends-active] meeting summary
        >
        >On Thursday, Oct. 21, at the annual Mystic River Watershed Association
        >meeting, Wig Zigmore asked what was the status of the transfer of land
        >from MBTA to the DCR for a Path along the Mystic River from Draw Seven
        >Park in Somerville to Charlestown [at Route 99]. Dan Driscoll
        >reported that the deadline to arrange this "deal" has been extended to
        >February 2005 but that the MBTA was concerned about safety for their
        >buses and the DCR is concerned that the Path will be too narrow. Dan
        >said he had spoken to the MBTA last week and is continuing to discuss
        >the issue.

        The logic here continues to elude me. The present situation requires cyclists and others to take a route that has numerous potential hazards, and the width of the proposed Path is zero, i.e. it doesn't yet exist. It seems to me that even a less-than-optimal width would be a vast improvement over the current situation. What is the proposed width, by the way, and what width is considered optimal?

        What aspect of the proposed Path is "unsafe for buses"?

        Robert Winters
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
          The proposed width is about 18 feet, but one must subtract guard rails
          and fencing. There are a few spots with intrusions from electrical
          junction boxes and poles. In addition, there is an area just 2-3 feet
          wide next to that are parking spots for the manager's cars. Moving
          the cars back a few feet would solve that problem, but it is hard to
          mess with people's reserved parking spots.

          The MBTA is worried about security. While gates at the front of the
          bus yard are open 24 hours a day, they are worried about attracting
          additional people to the rear of the facility.

          Letters to the MBTA could really help at this point, especially if
          they come from Charlestown residents who would like expanded access to
          the riverfront.

          A multi use path needs to be 10 feet or so, plus 2-3 feet of buffer on
          either side.

          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2004
            Note: The MBTA has proposed a substitue project... a path directly
            from Draw 7 to Sullivan Square, along the east side of the railroad
            tracks and through the junkyard.

            This route has one advantage -- it is more direct for MBTA bound
            commuters. I worry about personal safety here, and about the
            practicaily of crossing the roadway. It is a very isolated spot.

            The river's edge path is visible to boaters (potentially) and all the
            traffic on route 99.

            -Bryce