Design Principals Memorandum

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 20, 2004
      Hi All,

      As you may know, there is a difference of opinion on what the next
      steps should be in construction of a Mystic Crossing at the Earhart
      Dam.

      The DCR has some concerns that they feel can best be made through a
      bridge design as opposed to a walkway design. The communities are
      concerned that a bridge design would eat up all the SEP money in
      design and permitting costs.

      In an effort to resolve this issue Steve Winslow and I colloborated
      on the creation of a Design Principals Memorandum. It has been
      uploaded to the files section of the Mystic Crossig Yahoo Group. The
      link to the file is:
      http://f3.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/YOJOQVRoNFI1JELkbAcOS9gEgw-
      s4dRFEYXMXQWZjokeAX68ljgymrWIhFSuafvnyQYTm8yrWsOXpZ1qZ_ri3w/MC-Design%
      20Principals%20Final.doc

      It is a large file ad may take a minute to download even witha high
      speed connection.

      Please review and comment. We would appreciate any and all comments
      before we formally submit to DCR.

      Thank You.

      Officer Patrick Johnston
      Everett Police Marine
      617-905-3747
    • dko posts
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 21, 2004
        Thanks for your efforts toward opening our recreation
        personal travel horizons.

        PLEASE do not let grand visions, or fear of liability,
        cripple a good idea. We don't need stairs to reach a
        bridge, or expensive ramps to bypass the stairs. We
        don't need 100% up-time, if waiting to watch an
        occassional boat pass is the alternative. In my view,
        we certainly don't need a new self-suporting
        structure.

        We need reasonable safety for unattended children, but
        not more than reasonable. The Charles Dam Locks are
        shockingly delapidated from their original design, yet
        they are in daily pedestrian use, including by me and
        my preschool grandchildren, who learn personal
        responsibility and caution. PLEASE DO NOT CLOSE THEM
        DURING REPAIR! Much safer than dancing thru downtown.
        construction. When I think of where WE climbed as
        children, it is nothing.

        The 'coal barge' canal between the Red Line bridge
        over the Charles and the power plant, has effectively
        NO railing, from the viewpoint of a small child, and
        no control tower to see the need for rescue, and
        dispatch same.

        (My viewpoint is from getting a second-story fire
        escape design approved in rural Vermont; it served 3
        rooms, 2 beds, 10 students. It was built so an infant
        could not tumble thru the railing.)

        Surely at Earhart, a simple lock-gate-top walkway with
        nominal railings can be shop-fabricated this year, and
        placed - dropped on by helicopter (as we built ski
        lifts) or barge-mounted crane. If this was WWII, I
        imagine it could be done in perhaps 10 weeks.

        Please don't let it be delayed like the Minuteman Bike
        Path bridge, by Alewife T Station. A dangerous narrow
        sidewalk and bridge crossing, tight to a busy one-lane
        commuter ramp: heavy pedestrian and bike traffic.

        An new bike bridge and path was built to separate
        bikes and pedestrians. The bridge was functionally
        FINISHED but barred from use for an entire winter,
        pending [ to my eye ] completion of decorative
        touches.

        I am willing to be wrong on this characterization. but
        my temper rose every time I didn't use that new
        bridge.

        ----- o -----

        If possible, please let the rest of us participate and
        offer input, by posting ACCESSABLE information.

        I cannot see .PDF or .DOC either at home or at
        Minuteman Library Network public terminals.

        In any case, I no longer open ANY attachments since my
        daughter's, friends and membership organizations HAVE
        been hijacked by malware and viruses. I do not have
        any way or resources for recovery if my private
        computer is compromised.

        NO attatchments. (Unless someone has told me im person
        that they really sent it.)

        ----- o -----

        A simplified summary , or better a www.(something).com
        posting, plus a notice of which public libraries the
        full DOC is available at, would assure a transparent
        PUBLIC process.

        Comment needed by when?

        Thank you.

        Dan O'Connell, Arlingtron, MA
        roaming Boston by bicycle
        dkoposts (at) yahoo.com
        OK to foward my portion. Please protect email
        addresses from harvest.

        http://mail.yahoo.com