Abbott Support Letter-text

  • EPDMARINE
    Message 1 of 1 , May 25, 2004
      Message

      Copy of support letter in text:

      Katherine F. Abbott, Commissioner

      Department of Conservation and Recreation

      251 Causeway Street

      Boston, MA 02114

      Re:       Amelia Earhart Dam / Mystic Crossing

      Dear Ms. Abbot:

      Thank you for your support in the creation of a crossing between our communities via the Amelia Earhart Dam. The funding secured through the Exelon Supplemental Environmental Project settlement is an opportunity we all want to take maximum advantage of. Strong public interest in the crossing and the network of trails it will connect increases the importance of the expeditious planning and construction of the crossing.

      We appreciate your staff’s concern that opening access not adversely impact flood protection and be safe for users. We understand the DCR wants to look at alternatives that avoid impacts on flood control and increase user safety such as a drawbridge or a flyover bridge. Our concern is that the study could take away funds to actually design and construct the crossing. We suggest that DCR form a small Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) to review the study’s scope of work and budget.

      The improvement of the walkway over the locks appears to the most simple and expeditious solution.  DCR staff expressed concern that the locks must occasionally be left open for flood control resulting in closure of the walkway. We point out that right now, residents lack access across the dam 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Even if the walkway had to be closed occasionally for flood control operations, access would be increased substantially.  The TAC could help identify the best means to ensure a public walkway does not adversely impact flood protection and avoids unreasonable inconvenience to users.

      .

      Sincerely yours