Re: FW: [MysticCrossing] Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) Grants

  • Patrick
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
      hmmm! Jeff, your post appeared on the Yahoo group webpage but I have
      not recieved it in my email either...wonder whats up with that?

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, jlevine@c... wrote:
      > I am sending this again because it does not appear to have gone
      through the
      > first time.
      >
      > The Enhancements program is adminstered by the Boston Metropolitan
      Planning
      > Organization. Somerville currently has two projects slated for
      funding with
      > enhancments: Somerville Avenue streetscape improvements (FY 2004)
      and Magoun
      > Square (FY To be determined.)
      >
      > The process involves being approved for eligibility by a regional
      committee,
      > and then getting the project listed on the regional 'Transportation
      > Improvement Program', which is the harder part.
      >
      > The first step is to talk to representatives at the Metropolitan
      Area
      > Planning Council (Barbara Lucas is the transportation head there).
      >
      > Jeffrey R. Levine, AICP
      > Director of Transportation and Long Range Planning
      > Office of Housing and Community Development
      > City of Somerville, MA
      > 617-625-6600 x2500
      > 617-625-0722 (fax)
      > jlevine@c...

      Efficiency
      > Act (ISTEA) Grants
      >

      > Anybody know about this grants and who administers it?
      >
      > Patrick Johnston
      >

      > Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) Grants
      >
      > The Transportation Enhancement Program is similar to that of
      the
      > past. As defined by the Federal Act, the eligible activities
      include:

      > 1. Facilities for pedestrians or bicycles
      >
      > 2. Acquisition of scenic easements and scenic or historic sites
      >
      > 3. Scenic or historic highway programs
      >
      > 4. Landscaping and other scenic beautification
      >
      > 5. Historic preservation
      >
      > 6. Rehabilitation of historic transportation buildings, structures
      or
      > facilities (including historic railroad facilities and canals)
      >
      > 7. Preservation of abandoned railway corridors (including
      conversion
      > for use as bicycle or pedestrian trails)
      >
      > 8. Control and removal of outdoor advertising
      >
      > 9. Archaeological planning and research
      >
      > 10. Mitigation of water pollution due to highway runoff
      >
      > These activities are exclusive, meaning that only the ten
      activities
      > are eligible. Your project may include other items, however, only
      > these specific items are eligible, and only these specific items
      will
      > be considered for funding.
      >
      > Other requirements for eligibility are:
      >
      > 1. The project must have a direct and substantial link to the
      > intermodal transportation system.
      >
      > 2. The project must be above and beyond the normal transportation
      > activity.
      >
      > 3. The project must not be a required mitigation.
      >
      > 4. The project must be accomplished without an adverse effect on a
      > cultural, historical, archeological or environmental resource.
      >
      > 5. The project must have a public, political sponsor.

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • bryce_nesbitt
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
        It should be noted that all the grant programs related to
        ISTEA/TEA-21/TEA-3 require multi-year application processes.
        In general, your project must first appear on regional
        transportation plans.

        The grants are all part of the same funding stream that builds
        highways and funds mass transit. A small fraction of that money
        is dedicated to "enhancements" to the transportation system.
        See http://www.enhancements.org/

        This class of grant is generally used for the heavy-hitting funds
        for major public works projects. Let's all hope that the Mystic
        Crossing does not bloat into such an effort.

        For grants that could be administered within just a year or two,
        look elsewhere. Some possibilities include:

        http://www.state.ma.us/dem/programs/trails/grants.htm
        http://www.nps.gov/rtca/
        http://www.grassrootsfund.org/
        http://www.conservationfund.org/?article=2106
        http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/River/rivSmallgrnts.htm
        http://www.fieldspond.org/

        For restoring the fish passage, consider:
        http://www.amrivers.org/feature/restorationgrants.htm
        (but I think there is a simpler way, which I'll write in a future
        post)