RE: [MysticCrossing] Re: New file ...meeting minutes in Text

  • EPDMARINE
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2004
      Message

      MEETING OF MARCH 4, 2004

      MINUTES

      Participants: Steve Winslow, Sharman Lappin, Lucy Warsh, Lisa B., Janet Kovner, Jennifer Hill, Bhupesh, Jen Hill, Patrick Johnston

      Announcements:

      • Bob Sloane of WalkBoston has put together a walk in celebration of and to highlight the Mystic Crossing. Tentatively titled “The Walk of Incomplete Paths or You Can’t Get There From Here”, it is scheduled for April 24, 2004 at 1:30pm. The walk will start at the Wellington “T” Station and go to the Everett side of the Earhart Dam where it was proposed that a ceremony would take place. This ceremony could be the Mayors of Everett and Somerville traveling by boat to the center of the river to shake hands with Kathy Abbott and Jarrett Barrios present. The walk then take the shortest currently allowed route to the Somerville side of the dam, a distance of approximately 4.7 miles to get only 900 feet from where you started.
      • The City of Everett will sponsor another Waterfront Speaker Series on April 22, 2004. The speaker will be Jim Rice, a Senior Biologist with the New England Aquarium who is conducting a research project on Harbor Porpoises in Boston Harbor and the Mystic River.
      • Bhupesh passed about a rendering of the Somerville Bike Paths and how they relate to the Earhart Dam Crossing and the Three Sisters (the crossings at Rt. 99, Rt. 16 and the Dam). The rendering was well received and updates to green space were recommended to Bhupesh.

      Crossing Update

      • Patrick gave an update on the recent meetings held regarding the DCR and the Crossing.
        •  Mayor Ragucci of Everett and Mayor Curtatone of Somerville met with DCR Commissioner Kathy Abbot at State Senator Jarrett Barrios’ office and both Mayors expressed their complete support for the Crossing Project. The Mayors both praised the project for its ability to support public access and economic development in the area. Commissioner Abbot spoke of her own support for the Crossing and forwarded concerns from within her department; specifically the need for pedestrian safety, the use of the Lock Gates for flood control, and the inability of the dam operators to see the entire site from their present operating locations on the lock walls. Ms. Abbot also stated that she had been advised that the $250k would only be a drop in the bucket of the total funds needed to build this crossing. Others refuted this funding estimate at the meeting and possible solutions to DCR’s concerns were mentioned. Ms. Abbot suggested a meeting between Johnston, McAdam (of Everett) and Dan Driscoll, Julia O’Brien, Bill Gode (of DCR). There was also talk at this meeting of finding funding to repair the tower at the dam to allow the operators to better view and monitor the site.
        • At the meeting between Everett and DCR personnel all present excepting Bill Gode expressed support for the project. The discussions centered on the means of achieving the goal. DCR stated they wanted to hire an outside design/engineering firm to create design options that would address their flood control and pedestrian safety concerns, which could possibly use most of the $250k in the process. Everett wanted DCR to simplify the procedure/expenditures and use existing plans from the Charles River Crossing and utilize in-house engineers. DCR stated that while Everett’s plan was logical it was not feasible within the DCR. DCR stated that from their perspective design options ranged from the high end of a separate pedestrian bridge, a middle option that might include a pedestrian “drawbridge” to address flood control issues, to the low end of a replication of the Charles River Dam Crossing.

      Discussion

      • At consensus was reached within those present that we should continue to support the “simple” option and discussions of means followed
        • Steve mentioned DCR should conceptualize possible plans to get parameters on costs and look at a scoped budget.
        • Bhupesh mentioned possible obstacles that included ADA design criteria, public backlash and the DCR itself.
        • Oversight of budget through possible steering committee was discussed.

      Next Steps

      • The following next steps were agreed to:
        • Continue discussions with DCR emphasizing simple designs
        • Letters from the Mayor’s of Everett and Somerville requesting simple design approach and suggesting a Steering Committee to work with the DCR. Follow up these letters with letter from Mystic Crossing Group signed by all member groups requesting same.
          • Steve to draft wording for letters re: conceptual design budget by Wednesday 3/10/04
        • As Tuck O’Brien and Beth Debski were not present at this meeting it was voted unanimously that they would be responsible for writing these letters.
        • Media event at the “The Walk of Incomplete Paths or You Can’t Get There From Here” (see announcements above) walk scheduled for 4/24/04 was proposed with permission from “T” being first step to make that happen. Steve Winslow to attempt permissions.
        • Table at Herring Run with posters/handouts and need for volunteers to man same.

      End Meeting

      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2004
        When preparing a final announcement for this "Walk", keep in mind that
        Wellington T Station has two entrances. You need to be specific about "where"
        we will meet at the station.

        Lanny Evarts