RE: [MysticCrossing] Digest Number 58

  • Peter Hollands
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004

      Hello, all.  I’m project director for TeleCom City (now called River’s Edge).  I happen to know that the MBTA owns the stretch you are talking about - from the end of the paved path on the west side of the tracks, under the tracks to the Wellington Parking lot.  We have been working with DCR and MBTA to figure out how to get a license from MBTA to upgrade this stretch using a small grant that DCR committed to TeleCom City to build it.  Steve Winslow is very involved from Bike to the Sea.  We are at the moment sort of stymied by the circular problem of how to upgrade the plans to the extent the MBTA through Transit Realty Assoc. needs in order to consider granting the license.  For one thing the very inexpensive path that is conceptualized as a first step toward an eventual fully-paved path hardly needs plans at all, and nobody has the money to pay for the kind of plans MBTA/TRA seems to want.

      That said, the contact I have for the MBTA/TRA regarding this stretch is Melissa A. Boze, License Administrator mboze@... 617.482.2525.  I would recommend that somebody call her and see if there’s a one-time license that can be had.

      Peter Hollands

                 From: WalkBoston <info@...>
            2. Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
                 From: "Robert Mela" <r.mela@...>
            3. Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
                 From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>
            4. Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
                 From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>
            5. Re: Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
                 From: Bryce W Nesbitt <bryce1@...>

      Message: 1
         Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:56:12 -0500
         From: WalkBoston <info@...>
      Subject: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

      Hello,

      Lt. Pat McAdam and Officer Patrick Johnson of the Everett Police Department,
      Marine Division, have come through with the attached information about
      distances for the walk proposed for April 24, 2004. This walk will go
      between Wellington T Station and Sullivan Square via;
      1. the Amelia Earhart Dam (Everett Side);
      2. the Malden/Mystic River path in Everett
      3. the Route 16 bridge over the Malden River
      4. the MBTA Wellington parking lot;
      5. an unpaved path from the parking lot along the Malden and Mystic Rivers
      and under the rapid transit bridge;
      6. the paved path leading along the Mystic River through Medford up to Route
      28;
      7. the Route 28 bridge sidewalk;
      8. the Somerville riverside paths on the Mystic;
      9. the Amelia Earhart Dam (Somerville side) and Draw 7 Park.

      The dam is included as a focus of the walk to underscore the need for a
      pedestrian/bicycle connection over it to connect the existing paths on both
      sides of the river. We will walk to both sides of the dam, covering 4.7
      miles to make a connection that would be about 500 feet if a path over the
      dam were open.

      It is beginning to sound like the total of 4.7 miles is about right for a
      two-hour walk.

      There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the unpaved
      path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking Lot and the
      paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks.  Luckily, the path
      is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved path on the
      other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      Unfortunately, we don¹t know who owns this stretch of path. Pat said he
      thought that Medford was working on getting this particular path paved, and
      that it seemed likely that Medford is the key to getting permission to use
      the path on April 24. We are assuming that the new Medford Bipeds (is that
      the right name?) might be the principal actor here. So the question is ­ how
      to get permission to use the one sector of the path that is not open to the
      public for our one-day walk?

      When and if we get the missing link of the route approved, WalkBoston would
      like to prepare a map that can be handed out at the walk and used to
      publicize the need for the Amelia Earhart Dam pedestrian/bicycle path
      connection.

      Please let us know what can be done about the missing link of the path and
      who can do it.

      Thanks.

      Bob

         Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:59:54 -0000
         From: "Robert Mela" <r.mela@...>
      Subject: Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

      > There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the
      unpaved
      > path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking Lot
      and the
      > paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks.
      Luckily,
      the path
      > is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved
      path on the
      > other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      It's the Wellington Greenway, part of the Bike to the Sea project.
      Steve Winslow knows more about it than I do.

      I believe it's owned by the MBTA.  I'll let him answer the rest, since
      my info may not be completely accurate.  You can post an inquiry on
      the bike-to-the-sea Yahoo! group if you don't hear from Steve here.

      Message: 3
         Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:06:42 -0000
         From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>

      That's probably only a minor hitch.  The MBTA owns that section of
      dirt path, and keeps it open.  You'd create no trouble by just walking
      it.  Formal permission would come from Mark Boyle at MBTA real estate,
      but I don't think that asking is justified.

      When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
      Mystic River, toward Charlestown.  Through the chain link fence you'll
      see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
      banks.  You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.

      While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
      been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
      requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
      Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
      MBTA.

                         -Bryce

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, WalkBoston <info@w...> wrote:
      > There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the
      unpaved
      > path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking
      Lot
      and the
      > paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks.  Luckily,
      the path
      > is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved
      path on the
      > other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      Message: 4
         Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:11:20 -0000
         From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>

      You'd walk 1.6 miles here to travel downstream by .35 miles.
                                -Bryce

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@o...>
      wrote:
      > When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
      > Mystic River, toward Charlestown.  Through the chain link fence you'll
      > see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
      > banks.  You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.
      >
      > While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
      > been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
      > requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
      > Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
      > MBTA.

      Message: 5
         Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:52:06 -0800
         From: Bryce W Nesbitt <bryce1@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

      Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
      linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
                                              -Bryce

      [This message contained attachments]

      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
        > We are at the moment sort of stymied by the circular problem of how to
        upgrade the plans to the
        > extent the MBTA through Transit Realty Assoc. needs in order to
        consider granting the license. For
        > one thing the very inexpensive path that is conceptualized as a first
        step toward an eventual fully-paved
        > path hardly needs plans at all, and nobody has the money to pay for
        the kind of plans MBTA/TRA
        > seems to want.

        Goodness. What a swamp.

        1) How much money has been granted
        2) How much will the plans cost?
        3) Who at the MBTA is requiring the plans? Maybe some research into MBTA
        rules/regs can help bypass this need.

        This sounds like just the kind of bureaucracy and waste that Romney is
        so opposed to. Surely we can get some political pressure to break the
        deadlock.

        Alternatively, I also wonder whether it makes sense at this point just
        to go for the license and get out of legal limbo. We can then lay stone
        dust or whatever, and people will have permission to use the area.

        Peter Hollands wrote:

        > Hello, all. I’m project director for TeleCom City (now called River’s
        > Edge). I happen to know that the MBTA owns the stretch you are talking
        > about - from the end of the paved path on the west side of the tracks,
        > under the tracks to the Wellington Parking lot. We have been working
        > with DCR and MBTA to figure out how to get a license from MBTA to
        > upgrade this stretch using a small grant that DCR committed to TeleCom
        > City to build it. Steve Winslow is very involved from Bike to the Sea.
        > We are at the moment sort of stymied by the circular problem of how to
        > upgrade the plans to the extent the MBTA through Transit Realty Assoc.
        > needs in order to consider granting the license. For one thing the
        > very inexpensive path that is conceptualized as a first step toward an
        > eventual fully-paved path hardly needs plans at all, and nobody has
        > the money to pay for the kind of plans MBTA/TRA seems to want.
        >
        > That said, the contact I have for the MBTA/TRA regarding this stretch
        > is Melissa A. Boze, License Administrator mboze@...
        > <mailto:mboze@...> 617.482.2525. I would recommend that
        > somebody call her and see if there’s a one-time license that can be had.
        >
        > Peter Hollands

      • Bryce W Nesbitt
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
          The Friends of the Community Path, and a variety of other trail groups, have signed short term  leases to MBTA property.  Licenses have been granted for 1 to 3 day "brush clearing" efforts and minor repairs up to and including a few shovels of stone dust.  The leases I personally negotiated went through Mark Boyle at the MBTA, and were completed without undue hassle.  I also received permission from MBTA operations to mount signs on MBTA property at Alewife, telling people which way to go to find the path.  Steve Woeful at the MBTA was my contact, and made it happen.

          Call it a "brush clearing & litter pickup weekend event", and I think you can easily get a lease.  Also design a sign for the parking lot saying something like "river path this way" and I think you can probably get permission to mount it.  Keep in mind your path will eventually be part of a nice recreational loop, from Wellington, through Gateway park, over the Earhart Dam, over the Route 28 bridge and back to Wellington.

                      Bryce Nesbitt
                       http://www.pathfriends.org/

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3, 2004

            Sounds like a plan….