FW: [MysticCrossing] Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) Grants

  • jlevine@ci.somerville.ma.us
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
      I am sending this again because it does not appear to have gone through the
      first time.

      The Enhancements program is adminstered by the Boston Metropolitan Planning
      Organization. Somerville currently has two projects slated for funding with
      enhancments: Somerville Avenue streetscape improvements (FY 2004) and Magoun
      Square (FY To be determined.)

      The process involves being approved for eligibility by a regional committee,
      and then getting the project listed on the regional 'Transportation
      Improvement Program', which is the harder part.

      The first step is to talk to representatives at the Metropolitan Area
      Planning Council (Barbara Lucas is the transportation head there).

      Jeffrey R. Levine, AICP
      Director of Transportation and Long Range Planning
      Office of Housing and Community Development
      City of Somerville, MA
      617-625-6600 x2500
      617-625-0722 (fax)
      jlevine@...

      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
        hmmm! Jeff, your post appeared on the Yahoo group webpage but I have
        not recieved it in my email either...wonder whats up with that?

        --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, jlevine@c... wrote:
        > I am sending this again because it does not appear to have gone
        through the
        > first time.
        >
        > The Enhancements program is adminstered by the Boston Metropolitan
        Planning
        > Organization. Somerville currently has two projects slated for
        funding with
        > enhancments: Somerville Avenue streetscape improvements (FY 2004)
        and Magoun
        > Square (FY To be determined.)
        >
        > The process involves being approved for eligibility by a regional
        committee,
        > and then getting the project listed on the regional 'Transportation
        > Improvement Program', which is the harder part.
        >
        > The first step is to talk to representatives at the Metropolitan
        Area
        > Planning Council (Barbara Lucas is the transportation head there).
        >
        > Jeffrey R. Levine, AICP
        > Director of Transportation and Long Range Planning
        > Office of Housing and Community Development
        > City of Somerville, MA
        > 617-625-6600 x2500
        > 617-625-0722 (fax)
        > jlevine@c...

        Efficiency
        > Act (ISTEA) Grants
        >

        > Anybody know about this grants and who administers it?
        >
        > Patrick Johnston
        >

        > Intermodal Surface Transportation Efficiency Act (ISTEA) Grants
        >
        > The Transportation Enhancement Program is similar to that of
        the
        > past. As defined by the Federal Act, the eligible activities
        include:

        > 1. Facilities for pedestrians or bicycles
        >
        > 2. Acquisition of scenic easements and scenic or historic sites
        >
        > 3. Scenic or historic highway programs
        >
        > 4. Landscaping and other scenic beautification
        >
        > 5. Historic preservation
        >
        > 6. Rehabilitation of historic transportation buildings, structures
        or
        > facilities (including historic railroad facilities and canals)
        >
        > 7. Preservation of abandoned railway corridors (including
        conversion
        > for use as bicycle or pedestrian trails)
        >
        > 8. Control and removal of outdoor advertising
        >
        > 9. Archaeological planning and research
        >
        > 10. Mitigation of water pollution due to highway runoff
        >
        > These activities are exclusive, meaning that only the ten
        activities
        > are eligible. Your project may include other items, however, only
        > these specific items are eligible, and only these specific items
        will
        > be considered for funding.
        >
        > Other requirements for eligibility are:
        >
        > 1. The project must have a direct and substantial link to the
        > intermodal transportation system.
        >
        > 2. The project must be above and beyond the normal transportation
        > activity.
        >
        > 3. The project must not be a required mitigation.
        >
        > 4. The project must be accomplished without an adverse effect on a
        > cultural, historical, archeological or environmental resource.
        >
        > 5. The project must have a public, political sponsor.

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • bryce_nesbitt
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 26, 2003
          It should be noted that all the grant programs related to
          ISTEA/TEA-21/TEA-3 require multi-year application processes.
          In general, your project must first appear on regional
          transportation plans.

          The grants are all part of the same funding stream that builds
          highways and funds mass transit. A small fraction of that money
          is dedicated to "enhancements" to the transportation system.
          See http://www.enhancements.org/

          This class of grant is generally used for the heavy-hitting funds
          for major public works projects. Let's all hope that the Mystic
          Crossing does not bloat into such an effort.

          For grants that could be administered within just a year or two,
          look elsewhere. Some possibilities include:

          http://www.state.ma.us/dem/programs/trails/grants.htm
          http://www.nps.gov/rtca/
          http://www.grassrootsfund.org/
          http://www.conservationfund.org/?article=2106
          http://www.state.ma.us/dfwele/River/rivSmallgrnts.htm
          http://www.fieldspond.org/

          For restoring the fish passage, consider:
          http://www.amrivers.org/feature/restorationgrants.htm
          (but I think there is a simpler way, which I'll write in a future
          post)