Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
      That's probably only a minor hitch. The MBTA owns that section of
      dirt path, and keeps it open. You'd create no trouble by just walking
      it. Formal permission would come from Mark Boyle at MBTA real estate,
      but I don't think that asking is justified.

      When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
      Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
      see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
      banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.

      While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
      been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
      requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
      Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
      MBTA.

      -Bryce

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, WalkBoston <info@w...> wrote:
      > There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the
      unpaved
      > path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking
      Lot
      and the
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
        You'd walk 1.6 miles here to travel downstream by .35 miles.
        -Bryce

        --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@o...>
        wrote:
        > When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
        > Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
        > see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
        > banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.
        >
        > While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
        > been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
        > requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
        > Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
        > MBTA.
      • Bryce W Nesbitt
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1, 2004
          Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
          linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
          -Bryce
        • WalkBoston
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 2, 2004
            On 3/1/04 11:52 PM, "Bryce W Nesbitt" <bryce1@...> wrote:

            > Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
            > linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
            > -Bryce

            Thanks, Bryce, for the map.

            The route looks pretty good, thanks to the help from the Everett Police
            Marine Division. In looking at the route, we had not contemplated walking
            through residential Somerville, but that might be a better idea than
            crossing the parking lots of Home Depot and the Mall.

            Bob