Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 9:59 AM
      > There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the unpaved
      > path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking Lot
      and the
      > paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks. Luckily,
      the path
      > is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved
      path on the
      > other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      It's the Wellington Greenway, part of the Bike to the Sea project.
      Steve Winslow knows more about it than I do.

      I believe it's owned by the MBTA. I'll let him answer the rest, since
      my info may not be completely accurate. You can post an inquiry on
      the bike-to-the-sea Yahoo! group if you don't hear from Steve here.
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 6:06 PM
        That's probably only a minor hitch. The MBTA owns that section of
        dirt path, and keeps it open. You'd create no trouble by just walking
        it. Formal permission would come from Mark Boyle at MBTA real estate,
        but I don't think that asking is justified.

        When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
        Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
        see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
        banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.

        While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
        been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
        requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
        Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
        MBTA.

        -Bryce

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 6:11 PM
          You'd walk 1.6 miles here to travel downstream by .35 miles.
          -Bryce

          --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@o...>
          wrote:
          > When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
          > Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
          > see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
          > banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.
          >
          > While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
          > been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
          > requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
          > Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
          > MBTA.
        • Bryce W Nesbitt
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 8:52 PM
            Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
            linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
            -Bryce
          • WalkBoston
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 2 7:07 AM
              On 3/1/04 11:52 PM, "Bryce W Nesbitt" <bryce1@...> wrote:

              > Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
              > linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
              > -Bryce

              Thanks, Bryce, for the map.

              The route looks pretty good, thanks to the help from the Everett Police
              Marine Division. In looking at the route, we had not contemplated walking
              through residential Somerville, but that might be a better idea than
              crossing the parking lots of Home Depot and the Mall.

              Bob