FW: Walk along the Mystic River

  • WalkBoston
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 1 8:56 AM
      FW: Walk along the Mystic River Hello,

      Lt. Pat McAdam and Officer Patrick Johnson of the Everett Police Department, Marine Division, have come through with the attached information about distances for the walk proposed for April 24, 2004. This walk will go between Wellington T Station and Sullivan Square via;
      1. the Amelia Earhart Dam (Everett Side);
      2. the Malden/Mystic River path in Everett
      3. the Route 16 bridge over the Malden River
      4. the MBTA Wellington parking lot;
      5. an unpaved path from the parking lot along the Malden and Mystic Rivers and under the rapid transit bridge;
      6. the paved path leading along the Mystic River through Medford up to Route 28;
      7. the Route 28 bridge sidewalk;
      8. the Somerville riverside paths on the Mystic;
      9. the Amelia Earhart Dam (Somerville side) and Draw 7 Park.

      The dam is included as a focus of the walk to underscore the need for a pedestrian/bicycle connection over it to connect the existing paths on both sides of the river. We will walk to both sides of the dam, covering 4.7 miles to make a connection that would be about 500 feet if a path over the dam were open.

      It is beginning to sound like the total of 4.7 miles is about right for a two-hour walk.

      There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the unpaved path along the Malden River between the T’s Wellington parking Lot and the paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks.  Luckily, the path is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved path on the other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      Unfortunately, we don’t know who owns this stretch of path. Pat said he thought that Medford was working on getting this particular path paved, and that it seemed likely that Medford is the key to getting permission to use the path on April 24. We are assuming that the new Medford Bipeds (is that the right name?) might be the principal actor here. So the question is – how to get permission to use the one sector of the path that is not open to the public for our one-day walk?

      When and if we get the missing link of the route approved, WalkBoston would like to prepare a map that can be handed out at the walk and used to publicize the need for the Amelia Earhart Dam pedestrian/bicycle path connection.

      Please let us know what can be done about the missing link of the path and who can do it.

      Thanks.

      Bob

      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 1 9:59 AM
        > There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the unpaved
        > path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking Lot
        and the
        > paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks. Luckily,
        the path
        > is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved
        path on the
        > other side. (Does this section have a name?)

        It's the Wellington Greenway, part of the Bike to the Sea project.
        Steve Winslow knows more about it than I do.

        I believe it's owned by the MBTA. I'll let him answer the rest, since
        my info may not be completely accurate. You can post an inquiry on
        the bike-to-the-sea Yahoo! group if you don't hear from Steve here.
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 1 6:06 PM
          That's probably only a minor hitch. The MBTA owns that section of
          dirt path, and keeps it open. You'd create no trouble by just walking
          it. Formal permission would come from Mark Boyle at MBTA real estate,
          but I don't think that asking is justified.

          When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
          Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
          see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
          banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.

          While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
          been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
          requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
          Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
          MBTA.

          -Bryce

          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 1 6:11 PM
            You'd walk 1.6 miles here to travel downstream by .35 miles.
            -Bryce

            --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@o...>
            wrote:
            > When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
            > Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
            > see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
            > banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.
            >
            > While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
            > been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
            > requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
            > Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
            > MBTA.
          • Bryce W Nesbitt
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 1 8:52 PM
              Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
              linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
              -Bryce
            • WalkBoston
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 2 7:07 AM
                On 3/1/04 11:52 PM, "Bryce W Nesbitt" <bryce1@...> wrote:

                > Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
                > linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
                > -Bryce

                Thanks, Bryce, for the map.

                The route looks pretty good, thanks to the help from the Everett Police
                Marine Division. In looking at the route, we had not contemplated walking
                through residential Somerville, but that might be a better idea than
                crossing the parking lots of Home Depot and the Mall.

                Bob