Re: [MysticCrossing] Digest Number 44

  • jmhill@groundworksomerville.org
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
      The artists' group, Reclaimation Artists, have put on 2 installations at the Draw 7 Park, in 2000 and 2002.

      This year, MyRWA, the Boys & Girls Club, the Mystic River Advocates and many others are putting on the Mystic River 5K Race & Herring Run Festival at the Blessing of the Bay Boathouse on May 2nd.  That event will pull together many people who will have many opportunities to learn more about the river and watershed.  There is even a yahoogroups devoted to planning the event:  herringrun@yahoogroups.com

      Many groups will have tables, lead walks, put on presentations.  The dam crossing would be well advertised there.

      Jennifer

      MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
      http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/a8TolB/TM

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Events where people can walk on water
      From: "Bryce Nesbitt"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 04:32:34 -0000
      From: "Bryce Nesbitt"
      Subject: Events where people can walk on water

      As Anthony Flint wrote in the Globe, Draw 7 park and the Earhart Dam
      are "among the least known features in the Boston area". Can we
      change that?

      What festival or event could be attracted to Draw 7 park?
      What run or walk could go over the dam, under a special permit?

      With a high enough profile event, there's be a good case to the DCR
      for a one-time opening of the dam top. Temporary ropes and extra
      personell would help manage the traffic, and compensate for the
      deficiencies of the current crossing. Any ideas? "Take me to the
      River", and beyond?

      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 8, 2004
        Several of us have pictures of both Reclamation Artists' installations at Draw 7, of weekend soccer games at the Park and of the many clean-ups sponsored by MyRWA, MVTF, TBHA and others along this stretch of Mystic River.

        Local artist Anna Shapiro (member of RA) first created her watershed map at Draw 7 during an RA event.  One of the RA installations had quite a bit of vandalism but the artists prevailed by making that part of the event.  The second show featured a new Orange Line T-stop.

        Lee and Susan have also done a subsequent Mystic River and Assembly Square show at Mobius in South Boston which we have some pictures of.

        One year the Somerville Artists Association was bold enough to make the Mystic River the central theme of Art Beat, including an infamous fish parade.

        I also have some pictures of a Red-Tailed Hawk sitting on top of the TV antenna of a Somerville triple decker, with a pollution spewing Mystic Sithe plant in the background and the valley of East Somerville in the foreground.

        Finally, we have Roger Frymire's glorious Mystic River pictures.

        Whether I can find all these things is another matter, but I could certainly try for a good cause.

        Someday day it might be nice to have a MyRWA celebration and fair weather fundraiser at Draw 7.  What better place could there be to join people coming by water, bike, foot, and transit in all directions even if it is a little tough right now?  Draw 7 and the AE Dam is where the ocean and inland meet, the salt and fresh, the blueblood and immigrant, the scholar and blue collar, the water savvy and landlubbers, the long history of pollution and the new reclamation.

        **********

        Please keep Wednesday evening's 6:30 PM Boston MPO hearing foremost in your thoughts this week.

        Expanded public transit in Somerville is an absolutely necessary accompaniment to better walking and biking.

        Regards, Wig
      • APhelps@ci.somerville.ma.us
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
          How about a "Dog in the Park Day"? Draw 7 park is a favorite hangout for
          dog-walkers, professional and individual.... So that's nothing new, but
          there are lots of dog-owners, and you could have dog judgings for smallest
          and largest, best groomed, worst-dressed, and other silly things.

          Anne

          1. Events where people can walk on water
          From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>

          Message: 1

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 9, 2004
            For some pictures of the Reclamation Artists work at Draw 7 and
            elsewhere at Assembly Square check the link below. I put together this
            page a few years ago.

            http://www.mysticview.org/0w-0525-rec_artists.htm#0525-rec_art

            JaneSauer

          • epdmarine@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
              Hi Wig,

              I would love to have a copy of that Red Tailed Hawk in Somerville. Is it in digital form? Could it be emailed? Perhaps posted on the Mystic Crossing group?

            • Wig Zamore
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 11, 2004
                Yes, it is in digital form - about a .5 megabyte jpeg and I can e-mail it.  It can be reduced by many photo software programs including Photo Elements if desired.  I will not be able to look for it for a few days but will get on it after that asap.  Regards, Wig