RE: [MysticCrossing] Re: Events where people can walk on water

  • lisa.b@erols.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 8, 2004
      glad people are thinking about how to bring attention.....

      just for some historical context, some of us brought the Draw 7 park to the
      attention of a group of artists who seek out "out of the way, unrecognized
      urban areas around greater Boston" for annual art installation exhibits.
      The Reclaimation Artists found Draw 7 SO compelling that they actually
      returned for two years running ( this was now about 4-5 yrs ago) It got a
      good bit of press and I will try to track down the websites that were
      available on their work, which the last year was focused on the potential
      for transportation and the potential T stop.

      As for current efforts, I sent Bryce a note that indeed it is not feasible
      to make the Herring Run go over the dam this year-- even if the dam open.
      The plan is to have a boat for the day and run tours from Blessing of the
      BAy up to the dam-- I think that there is something possibly even more
      powerful about people experiencing the sense of connection at the dam from
      the water.

      I am very much in favor of considering alternatives to a 5K road race to
      focus on the dam crossing itself-- I think it is important to make it seem
      accessible (and of value) to your average citizen-- many of who would not
      be caught running........BUT I think that the pedestrian/walking movements
      in Somerville and neighboring towns are a perfect link. The Herring Run has
      long wanted to do something less athletic, like a fun run or walk which
      could attract more people....we have the Fingerling Fling canoe event in
      August-- how about the Fingerling Fling Fun Walk in Sept (the fingerlings
      are the little fish that are heading out to sea at that time of the year,
      so called because of their size.)

      We already have a few nibbles on groups walking to the Mystic Herring Run
      Festival-- possibly from Draw 7/Assembly Sq, from Davis Sq, etc. We could
      win some new allies if we continue to support fun ways to be part of the
      local movement to get folks out exercising-- and if along, and even across
      the river--even better!

      Any one interested in trying to head up a Walk to the festival group from
      Gateway on May 2nd??? This group could wave to the Somerville group and see
      how long it takes to link up at Rt 28!

      Lisa B.