Re: [MysticCrossing] Mystic Master Plan

  • Bryce W Nesbitt
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
      Another area project (the Watertown Branch Rail Trail) was stalled for
      similar reasons. Everything was a "go", but the issuing of the notice
      to proceed. Apparently the DCR had let go the contract administrator,
      but he came back as a contractor two days a week.

      The MDC had indeed become dysfunctional, and all the meddling by the
      legislature was a sign of that sickness. When you can't get a pothole
      fixed without calling a Senator, something is wrong. The legislative
      micro-management of the MDC/DCR is something I hope will fade away.

      -Bryce

      Doug Mink wrote:

      >Last summer and fall, a lot of MDC funding was frozen in the merger into
      >the DCR. Program managers sometimes found out that they had lost the
      >funding weeks after it happened. As of the beginning of January, there
      >were no permanent appointees in DCR immediately below the head of the
      >agency, and no new projects (or at least vanishingly few) were being
      >initiated. Appointments are supposed to be made by spring. The
      >Neponset, where I volunteer, lost several projects. The money may
      >be gone permanently, but it is possible that the legislators who got
      >it in the first place can wrench it free (though I believe that one
      >of the goals of the Romney adminstrations merger of DEM and MDC was
      >to remove the hand of the legislaturefrom agency decisions).
      >
      >-Doug Mink

    • Doug Mink
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 2004
        Bryce W Nesbitt wrote:
        > The MDC had indeed become dysfunctional, and all the meddling by the
        > legislature was a sign of that sickness. When you can't get a pothole
        > fixed without calling a Senator, something is wrong. The legislative
        > micro-management of the MDC/DCR is something I hope will fade away.

        Among other things, the former MDC Commissioner, who seemed to be too
        politically well-connected to be removed without removing his entire
        agency, was opposed to masterplans and said so in a public forum.

        The legislative micromanagement existed because the MDC never was
        able to connect with its own constituents, and greenspace constituents
        have never (at least in my almost 25 years of involvement in Mass.)
        been able to muster enough political power to force adequate funding
        of either the DEM or the MDC. If the new DCR communicates adequately
        with park users and advocates (who do not necessarily have the same
        interests) and then can do what it says it will do, no legislative
        involvement will be needed. If the DCR does not (or is not allowed to)
        respond to its constituents, our only choice will be to ask legislators
        to intervene.

        -Doug Mink