Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: Sister Bridges (was Fact Sheet on Mystic Station Settlement - Earhart Dam B

  • DavidD/JaneS
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
      Greetings--

      It is very disturbing to hear that the DCR Mystic Master Plan is not in
      process. This Master Plan process started just about four years ago when
      the Mystic View Task Force (MVTF) invited someone from the MDC to speak
      at our monthly meeting, March 2000. The person who spoke was Dan
      Driscoll. He so inspired us that even though the time was very short,
      MVTF contacted the representative for Assembly Square, Timothy Toomey,
      to put in a line item for a master plan for the lower Mystic. Dan
      Driscoll worked with MVTF to obtain a dollar amount. Rep. Toomey and his
      staff worked hard on gaining passage. He had the support of the
      Somerville delegation. Charles Shannon worked for passage on the Senate
      side. Gov. Celluci vetoed the line item, but the veto was overridden.

      For some reason the MDC did not act right away, and the $250,000 was
      lost. It then had to be retrieved. MVTF learned the lesson that nothing
      should taken for granted. MVTF arranged a meeting with Julia O'Brien,
      MDC Director of Planning, to make sure that everything was back on
      track. A staff person from Rep. Toomey's office attended. Also, Rep.
      Jehlen was there. Below is a letter to editor of The Boston Globe that
      I wrote back in June 2000 that pertains this subject.

      Is there some kind of politics involved at the state level now?

      --Jane Sauer

      6/24/00
      The Boston Globe
      Letter to the Editor
      "Somerville parkland"
      by Jane Sauer

      I read with interest the June 16 editorial, "Greening the Neponset,"
      about the Pope John Paul II Park under MDC jurisdiction, completed with
      $8 million in state operating funds.

      There is poorly maintained MDC parkland on the Mystic River in the
      Assembly Square area of Somerville, New England's most densely populated
      city. With over 18,000 people per square mile, we are 50% more densely
      populated than Boston. A recent survey of the western portion of this
      MDC parkland found that four sections of the river overlook railings
      were missing, a once decrepit picnic table had vanished, none of the
      eight benches were usable, four had only the damaged concrete supports
      remaining, and there were no trash receptacles. Wouldn't it be fair if
      Somerville's 75,000 residents had a few functioning benches to sit on so
      we could enjoy this small stretch of riverfront?

      The problem is that the MDC now has to operate largely through line
      items in the state budget, and not according to the overall maintenance
      and capital improvement needs of the parklands it oversees. It is time
      to change the system.

      Note. As often happens this letter was cut by The Boston Globe.
      Unfortunately the last paragraph was also deleted, leaving out an
      important point.