Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: Sister Bridges (was Fact Sheet on Mystic Station Settlement - Earhart Dam B

  • Bryce W Nesbitt
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
      Lisa Brukilacchio wrote:

      >The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
      >I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
      >The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
      >finally happen as well.

      FYI: Ikea included the undercrossing in their mitigation package.
      Unfortunately, they included design
      costs only.

      The undercrossing is simple enough that it could be done as a volunteer
      construction project, but
      the complexity of permit requirements probably preclude that option.
    • DavidD/JaneS
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
        State Representative Chiampa had a line item in the State budget for
        $600,000 for an undercarriage that did not pass.

        --Jane Sauer

        Bryce W Nesbitt wrote:

        >Lisa Brukilacchio wrote:
        >

        >>The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
        >>I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
        >>The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
        >>finally happen as well.
        >>

        >FYI: Ikea included the undercrossing in their mitigation package.
        >Unfortunately, they included design
        >costs only.
        >
        >The undercrossing is simple enough that it could be done as a volunteer
        >construction project, but
        >the complexity of permit requirements probably preclude that option.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • DavidD/JaneS
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
          Greetings--

          It is very disturbing to hear that the DCR Mystic Master Plan is not in
          process. This Master Plan process started just about four years ago when
          the Mystic View Task Force (MVTF) invited someone from the MDC to speak
          at our monthly meeting, March 2000. The person who spoke was Dan
          Driscoll. He so inspired us that even though the time was very short,
          MVTF contacted the representative for Assembly Square, Timothy Toomey,
          to put in a line item for a master plan for the lower Mystic. Dan
          Driscoll worked with MVTF to obtain a dollar amount. Rep. Toomey and his
          staff worked hard on gaining passage. He had the support of the
          Somerville delegation. Charles Shannon worked for passage on the Senate
          side. Gov. Celluci vetoed the line item, but the veto was overridden.

          For some reason the MDC did not act right away, and the $250,000 was
          lost. It then had to be retrieved. MVTF learned the lesson that nothing
          should taken for granted. MVTF arranged a meeting with Julia O'Brien,
          MDC Director of Planning, to make sure that everything was back on
          track. A staff person from Rep. Toomey's office attended. Also, Rep.
          Jehlen was there. Below is a letter to editor of The Boston Globe that
          I wrote back in June 2000 that pertains this subject.

          Is there some kind of politics involved at the state level now?

          --Jane Sauer

          6/24/00
          The Boston Globe
          Letter to the Editor
          "Somerville parkland"
          by Jane Sauer

          I read with interest the June 16 editorial, "Greening the Neponset,"
          about the Pope John Paul II Park under MDC jurisdiction, completed with
          $8 million in state operating funds.

          There is poorly maintained MDC parkland on the Mystic River in the
          Assembly Square area of Somerville, New England's most densely populated
          city. With over 18,000 people per square mile, we are 50% more densely
          populated than Boston. A recent survey of the western portion of this
          MDC parkland found that four sections of the river overlook railings
          were missing, a once decrepit picnic table had vanished, none of the
          eight benches were usable, four had only the damaged concrete supports
          remaining, and there were no trash receptacles. Wouldn't it be fair if
          Somerville's 75,000 residents had a few functioning benches to sit on so
          we could enjoy this small stretch of riverfront?

          The problem is that the MDC now has to operate largely through line
          items in the state budget, and not according to the overall maintenance
          and capital improvement needs of the parklands it oversees. It is time
          to change the system.

          Note. As often happens this letter was cut by The Boston Globe.
          Unfortunately the last paragraph was also deleted, leaving out an
          important point.