Re: Sister Bridges (was Fact Sheet on Mystic Station Settlement - Earhart Dam B

    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
      Where is the DCR Mystic Master Plan? Is it available to the public?

      I've really, really wanted a bi-ped underpass for Rt 28. I had no
      idea that someone was actually working on it. I'm also very
      interested in the connector between Mystic Riverbend Park and downtown
      Medford ( and beyond -- how the path will cross Main St. in Medford )

      BTW, some folks in the Medford Bike and Pedestrian Action Committee (
      now morphing into the Medford Bipeds) are very intersted in taking
      part in such a project.

      What is the Mystic Basin Team? When is the next meeting? What are
      the hurdles?

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Brukilacchio"
      <lisa.b@e...> wrote:
      > Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are
      needed
      > for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the
      importance of
      > continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
      > sisters.
      >
      > Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on
      Thursday,
      > it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems
      that Dan
      > Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that
      supporting
      > this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
      > with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum
      benefits and
      > to support our long term vision of improved public access.
      >
      > Lisa Brukilacchio

    • Bryce W Nesbitt
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
        Lisa Brukilacchio wrote:

        >The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
        >I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
        >The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
        >finally happen as well.

        FYI: Ikea included the undercrossing in their mitigation package.
        Unfortunately, they included design
        costs only.

        The undercrossing is simple enough that it could be done as a volunteer
        construction project, but
        the complexity of permit requirements probably preclude that option.
      • Lisa Brukilacchio
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
          Robert- the DCR Mystic Master Plan does not exist yet? It is supposed to be
          happening as we speak, but has been delayed once again. There was a sort of
          preview done by MDC back in the mid-late 90s that never progressed beyond
          draft form. It might be a good idea to see if we could get our hands on a
          few of those- as at least a resource and good maps.

          The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
          I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
          The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
          finally happen as well.

          Re the Mystic Basin Team? It is a remnant of the former Executive Office of
          Env Affairs Watershed Initiative that supported multi-stakeholder groups in
          each watershed. (Ask sometime about the fight to get Mystic deemed worthy of
          a team of its own!) The team met at least quarterly and was a forum for
          discussion and presentations by different agencies and organizations about
          key work in the Mystic. It also helped to determine the allocation of state
          funds to watersheds and was an important source of funding for critical work
          during the lifetime of the WI. It ended last January with one stroke of
          Romney's pen. There was a movement to revive the meetings by MyRWA and some
          other members, so volunteers are coordinating it. I think the next tenative
          date is early March as one of the state agencies was looking for input.. We
          can make sure to post the meetings on the listserve next round! They are
          open to all.

          Lisa B.

          <lisa.b@e...> wrote:
          > Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are
          needed
          > for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the
          importance of
          > continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
          > sisters.
          >
          > Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on
          Thursday,
          > it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems
          that Dan
          > Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that
          supporting
          > this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
          > with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum
          benefits and
          > to support our long term vision of improved public access.
          >
          > Lisa Brukilacchio

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          To visit your group on the web, go to:

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • DavidD/JaneS
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
            State Representative Chiampa had a line item in the State budget for
            $600,000 for an undercarriage that did not pass.

            --Jane Sauer

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
              Greetings--

              It is very disturbing to hear that the DCR Mystic Master Plan is not in
              process. This Master Plan process started just about four years ago when
              the Mystic View Task Force (MVTF) invited someone from the MDC to speak
              at our monthly meeting, March 2000. The person who spoke was Dan
              Driscoll. He so inspired us that even though the time was very short,
              MVTF contacted the representative for Assembly Square, Timothy Toomey,
              to put in a line item for a master plan for the lower Mystic. Dan
              Driscoll worked with MVTF to obtain a dollar amount. Rep. Toomey and his
              staff worked hard on gaining passage. He had the support of the
              Somerville delegation. Charles Shannon worked for passage on the Senate
              side. Gov. Celluci vetoed the line item, but the veto was overridden.

              For some reason the MDC did not act right away, and the $250,000 was
              lost. It then had to be retrieved. MVTF learned the lesson that nothing
              should taken for granted. MVTF arranged a meeting with Julia O'Brien,
              MDC Director of Planning, to make sure that everything was back on
              track. A staff person from Rep. Toomey's office attended. Also, Rep.
              Jehlen was there. Below is a letter to editor of The Boston Globe that
              I wrote back in June 2000 that pertains this subject.

              Is there some kind of politics involved at the state level now?

              --Jane Sauer

              6/24/00
              The Boston Globe
              Letter to the Editor
              "Somerville parkland"
              by Jane Sauer

              I read with interest the June 16 editorial, "Greening the Neponset,"
              about the Pope John Paul II Park under MDC jurisdiction, completed with
              $8 million in state operating funds.

              There is poorly maintained MDC parkland on the Mystic River in the
              Assembly Square area of Somerville, New England's most densely populated
              city. With over 18,000 people per square mile, we are 50% more densely
              populated than Boston. A recent survey of the western portion of this
              MDC parkland found that four sections of the river overlook railings
              were missing, a once decrepit picnic table had vanished, none of the
              eight benches were usable, four had only the damaged concrete supports
              remaining, and there were no trash receptacles. Wouldn't it be fair if
              Somerville's 75,000 residents had a few functioning benches to sit on so
              we could enjoy this small stretch of riverfront?

              The problem is that the MDC now has to operate largely through line
              items in the state budget, and not according to the overall maintenance
              and capital improvement needs of the parklands it oversees. It is time
              to change the system.

              Note. As often happens this letter was cut by The Boston Globe.
              Unfortunately the last paragraph was also deleted, leaving out an
              important point.