RE: [MysticCrossing] Re: Sister Bridges (was Fact Sheet on Mystic Station Settlement - Earhart Dam B

  • Lisa Brukilacchio
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
      Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are needed
      for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the importance of
      continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
      sisters.

      Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on Thursday,
      it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems that Dan
      Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that supporting
      this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
      with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum benefits and
      to support our long term vision of improved public access.

      Lisa Brukilacchio

      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
        See article from Today's Boston Globe City Weekly section by Anthony Flint
        with provacative title "Using Dam as bridge is key to stitching up the
        Mystic.

        http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/02/01/using_dam
        _as_bridge_is_key_to_stitching_up_the_mystic/
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
          Where is the DCR Mystic Master Plan? Is it available to the public?

          I've really, really wanted a bi-ped underpass for Rt 28. I had no
          idea that someone was actually working on it. I'm also very
          interested in the connector between Mystic Riverbend Park and downtown
          Medford ( and beyond -- how the path will cross Main St. in Medford )

          BTW, some folks in the Medford Bike and Pedestrian Action Committee (
          now morphing into the Medford Bipeds) are very intersted in taking
          part in such a project.

          What is the Mystic Basin Team? When is the next meeting? What are
          the hurdles?

          --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Brukilacchio"
          <lisa.b@e...> wrote:
          > Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are
          needed
          > for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the
          importance of
          > continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
          > sisters.
          >
          > Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on
          Thursday,
          > it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems
          that Dan
          > Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that
          supporting
          > this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
          > with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum
          benefits and
          > to support our long term vision of improved public access.
          >
          > Lisa Brukilacchio

        • Bryce W Nesbitt
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
            Lisa Brukilacchio wrote:

            >The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
            >I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
            >The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
            >finally happen as well.

            FYI: Ikea included the undercrossing in their mitigation package.
            Unfortunately, they included design
            costs only.

            The undercrossing is simple enough that it could be done as a volunteer
            construction project, but
            the complexity of permit requirements probably preclude that option.
          • Lisa Brukilacchio
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
              Robert- the DCR Mystic Master Plan does not exist yet? It is supposed to be
              happening as we speak, but has been delayed once again. There was a sort of
              preview done by MDC back in the mid-late 90s that never progressed beyond
              draft form. It might be a good idea to see if we could get our hands on a
              few of those- as at least a resource and good maps.

              The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
              I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
              The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
              finally happen as well.

              Re the Mystic Basin Team? It is a remnant of the former Executive Office of
              Env Affairs Watershed Initiative that supported multi-stakeholder groups in
              each watershed. (Ask sometime about the fight to get Mystic deemed worthy of
              a team of its own!) The team met at least quarterly and was a forum for
              discussion and presentations by different agencies and organizations about
              key work in the Mystic. It also helped to determine the allocation of state
              funds to watersheds and was an important source of funding for critical work
              during the lifetime of the WI. It ended last January with one stroke of
              Romney's pen. There was a movement to revive the meetings by MyRWA and some
              other members, so volunteers are coordinating it. I think the next tenative
              date is early March as one of the state agencies was looking for input.. We
              can make sure to post the meetings on the listserve next round! They are
              open to all.

              Lisa B.

              <lisa.b@e...> wrote:
              > Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are
              needed
              > for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the
              importance of
              > continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
              > sisters.
              >
              > Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on
              Thursday,
              > it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems
              that Dan
              > Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that
              supporting
              > this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
              > with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum
              benefits and
              > to support our long term vision of improved public access.
              >
              > Lisa Brukilacchio

              Yahoo! Groups Links

              To visit your group on the web, go to:

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
            • DavidD/JaneS
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
                State Representative Chiampa had a line item in the State budget for
                $600,000 for an undercarriage that did not pass.

                --Jane Sauer

                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                  Greetings--

                  It is very disturbing to hear that the DCR Mystic Master Plan is not in
                  process. This Master Plan process started just about four years ago when
                  the Mystic View Task Force (MVTF) invited someone from the MDC to speak
                  at our monthly meeting, March 2000. The person who spoke was Dan
                  Driscoll. He so inspired us that even though the time was very short,
                  MVTF contacted the representative for Assembly Square, Timothy Toomey,
                  to put in a line item for a master plan for the lower Mystic. Dan
                  Driscoll worked with MVTF to obtain a dollar amount. Rep. Toomey and his
                  staff worked hard on gaining passage. He had the support of the
                  Somerville delegation. Charles Shannon worked for passage on the Senate
                  side. Gov. Celluci vetoed the line item, but the veto was overridden.

                  For some reason the MDC did not act right away, and the $250,000 was
                  lost. It then had to be retrieved. MVTF learned the lesson that nothing
                  should taken for granted. MVTF arranged a meeting with Julia O'Brien,
                  MDC Director of Planning, to make sure that everything was back on
                  track. A staff person from Rep. Toomey's office attended. Also, Rep.
                  Jehlen was there. Below is a letter to editor of The Boston Globe that
                  I wrote back in June 2000 that pertains this subject.

                  Is there some kind of politics involved at the state level now?

                  --Jane Sauer

                  6/24/00
                  The Boston Globe
                  Letter to the Editor
                  "Somerville parkland"
                  by Jane Sauer

                  I read with interest the June 16 editorial, "Greening the Neponset,"
                  about the Pope John Paul II Park under MDC jurisdiction, completed with
                  $8 million in state operating funds.

                  There is poorly maintained MDC parkland on the Mystic River in the
                  Assembly Square area of Somerville, New England's most densely populated
                  city. With over 18,000 people per square mile, we are 50% more densely
                  populated than Boston. A recent survey of the western portion of this
                  MDC parkland found that four sections of the river overlook railings
                  were missing, a once decrepit picnic table had vanished, none of the
                  eight benches were usable, four had only the damaged concrete supports
                  remaining, and there were no trash receptacles. Wouldn't it be fair if
                  Somerville's 75,000 residents had a few functioning benches to sit on so
                  we could enjoy this small stretch of riverfront?

                  The problem is that the MDC now has to operate largely through line
                  items in the state budget, and not according to the overall maintenance
                  and capital improvement needs of the parklands it oversees. It is time
                  to change the system.

                  Note. As often happens this letter was cut by The Boston Globe.
                  Unfortunately the last paragraph was also deleted, leaving out an
                  important point.