Re: Sister Bridges (was Fact Sheet on Mystic Station Settlement - Earhart Dam B

    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 31, 2004
      View the "Connections.gif" graphic in the files section at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MysticCrossing/

      At the route 99 and route 28 bridges the big problem is not crossing
      the river, but staying on the same side of the river.

      Medford residents can be especially helpful by monitoring the progress
      of the new Department of Conservation & Recreation master plan for the
      Mystic River, which is underway. The project boundaries are from the
      Route 99 bridge to the confluence of Alewife Brook.

      -Bryce

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Mela" <r.mela@c...> wrote:
      > Where is information on the coalition and the master plan available?
      > Do you have/need Medford residents involved?
      >
      > --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bhupesh Patel" <bhupes@m...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey Somerville bikers and committee,
      > > Great news...
      > > As I have mentioned at our meetings there is a large Mystic River
      > Coalition from several groups and cities and we have been pushing for
      > what I call the "three sister bridges" to be a connected for
      > pedestrians and bicyclists across the Mystic River.
      > > The "three sisters" are-
      > > Route 28
      > > Amelia Earhart Dam
      > > Route 99
      > > Well check out this fact sheet attached.
      > > By the way they are also marked on our own "masterplan" for bike
      routes.

      > > Bhupesh
    • Lisa Brukilacchio
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
        Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are needed
        for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the importance of
        continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
        sisters.

        Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on Thursday,
        it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems that Dan
        Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that supporting
        this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
        with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum benefits and
        to support our long term vision of improved public access.

        Lisa Brukilacchio

        View the "Connections.gif" graphic in the files section at
        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MysticCrossing/

        At the route 99 and route 28 bridges the big problem is not crossing
        the river, but staying on the same side of the river.

        Medford residents can be especially helpful by monitoring the progress
        of the new Department of Conservation & Recreation master plan for the
        Mystic River, which is underway. The project boundaries are from the
        Route 99 bridge to the confluence of Alewife Brook.

        -Bryce

        --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Mela" <r.mela@c...> wrote:
        > Where is information on the coalition and the master plan available?
        > Do you have/need Medford residents involved?
        >
        > --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bhupesh Patel" <bhupes@m...>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > Hey Somerville bikers and committee,
        > > Great news...
        > > As I have mentioned at our meetings there is a large Mystic River
        > Coalition from several groups and cities and we have been pushing for
        > what I call the "three sister bridges" to be a connected for
        > pedestrians and bicyclists across the Mystic River.
        > > The "three sisters" are-
        > > Route 28
        > > Amelia Earhart Dam
        > > Route 99
        > > Well check out this fact sheet attached.
        > > By the way they are also marked on our own "masterplan" for bike
        routes.

        > > Bhupesh

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        To visit your group on the web, go to:

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Lisa Brukilacchio
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
          See article from Today's Boston Globe City Weekly section by Anthony Flint
          with provacative title "Using Dam as bridge is key to stitching up the
          Mystic.

          http://www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2004/02/01/using_dam
          _as_bridge_is_key_to_stitching_up_the_mystic/
          Message 4 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
            Where is the DCR Mystic Master Plan? Is it available to the public?

            I've really, really wanted a bi-ped underpass for Rt 28. I had no
            idea that someone was actually working on it. I'm also very
            interested in the connector between Mystic Riverbend Park and downtown
            Medford ( and beyond -- how the path will cross Main St. in Medford )

            BTW, some folks in the Medford Bike and Pedestrian Action Committee (
            now morphing into the Medford Bipeds) are very intersted in taking
            part in such a project.

            What is the Mystic Basin Team? When is the next meeting? What are
            the hurdles?

            --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Lisa Brukilacchio"
            <lisa.b@e...> wrote:
            > Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are
            needed
            > for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the
            importance of
            > continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
            > sisters.
            >
            > Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on
            Thursday,
            > it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems
            that Dan
            > Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that
            supporting
            > this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
            > with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum
            benefits and
            > to support our long term vision of improved public access.
            >
            > Lisa Brukilacchio

          • Bryce W Nesbitt
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
              Lisa Brukilacchio wrote:

              >The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
              >I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
              >The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
              >finally happen as well.

              FYI: Ikea included the undercrossing in their mitigation package.
              Unfortunately, they included design
              costs only.

              The undercrossing is simple enough that it could be done as a volunteer
              construction project, but
              the complexity of permit requirements probably preclude that option.
            • Lisa Brukilacchio
              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 1, 2004
                Robert- the DCR Mystic Master Plan does not exist yet? It is supposed to be
                happening as we speak, but has been delayed once again. There was a sort of
                preview done by MDC back in the mid-late 90s that never progressed beyond
                draft form. It might be a good idea to see if we could get our hands on a
                few of those- as at least a resource and good maps.

                The underpass for Rt 28 has been on the discussion table for years as well.
                I know that Julia O'Brian herself has schleped down there to investigate.
                The city of Somerville has been working on that end and would love to see it
                finally happen as well.

                Re the Mystic Basin Team? It is a remnant of the former Executive Office of
                Env Affairs Watershed Initiative that supported multi-stakeholder groups in
                each watershed. (Ask sometime about the fight to get Mystic deemed worthy of
                a team of its own!) The team met at least quarterly and was a forum for
                discussion and presentations by different agencies and organizations about
                key work in the Mystic. It also helped to determine the allocation of state
                funds to watersheds and was an important source of funding for critical work
                during the lifetime of the WI. It ended last January with one stroke of
                Romney's pen. There was a movement to revive the meetings by MyRWA and some
                other members, so volunteers are coordinating it. I think the next tenative
                date is early March as one of the state agencies was looking for input.. We
                can make sure to post the meetings on the listserve next round! They are
                open to all.

                Lisa B.

                <lisa.b@e...> wrote:
                > Bryce- thanks for pointing out that it is the underpassages that are
                needed
                > for safe pedestrian and bike access at both 28 and 99--and the
                importance of
                > continuing to work closely with the municipalities to address these two
                > sisters.
                >
                > Re the DCR Mystic Master Plan, at the Mystic Basin Team meeting on
                Thursday,
                > it sounded as if the plan hit a snag and is NOT in progress. Seems
                that Dan
                > Driscoll is working hard to revive it, so it was suggested that
                supporting
                > this planning process itself should be a major emphasis of communication
                > with the state at this time, in order to leverage the maximum
                benefits and
                > to support our long term vision of improved public access.
                >
                > Lisa Brukilacchio

                Yahoo! Groups Links

                To visit your group on the web, go to:

                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              • DavidD/JaneS
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 2, 2004
                  State Representative Chiampa had a line item in the State budget for
                  $600,000 for an undercarriage that did not pass.

                  --Jane Sauer

                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                    Greetings--

                    It is very disturbing to hear that the DCR Mystic Master Plan is not in
                    process. This Master Plan process started just about four years ago when
                    the Mystic View Task Force (MVTF) invited someone from the MDC to speak
                    at our monthly meeting, March 2000. The person who spoke was Dan
                    Driscoll. He so inspired us that even though the time was very short,
                    MVTF contacted the representative for Assembly Square, Timothy Toomey,
                    to put in a line item for a master plan for the lower Mystic. Dan
                    Driscoll worked with MVTF to obtain a dollar amount. Rep. Toomey and his
                    staff worked hard on gaining passage. He had the support of the
                    Somerville delegation. Charles Shannon worked for passage on the Senate
                    side. Gov. Celluci vetoed the line item, but the veto was overridden.

                    For some reason the MDC did not act right away, and the $250,000 was
                    lost. It then had to be retrieved. MVTF learned the lesson that nothing
                    should taken for granted. MVTF arranged a meeting with Julia O'Brien,
                    MDC Director of Planning, to make sure that everything was back on
                    track. A staff person from Rep. Toomey's office attended. Also, Rep.
                    Jehlen was there. Below is a letter to editor of The Boston Globe that
                    I wrote back in June 2000 that pertains this subject.

                    Is there some kind of politics involved at the state level now?

                    --Jane Sauer

                    6/24/00
                    The Boston Globe
                    Letter to the Editor
                    "Somerville parkland"
                    by Jane Sauer

                    I read with interest the June 16 editorial, "Greening the Neponset,"
                    about the Pope John Paul II Park under MDC jurisdiction, completed with
                    $8 million in state operating funds.

                    There is poorly maintained MDC parkland on the Mystic River in the
                    Assembly Square area of Somerville, New England's most densely populated
                    city. With over 18,000 people per square mile, we are 50% more densely
                    populated than Boston. A recent survey of the western portion of this
                    MDC parkland found that four sections of the river overlook railings
                    were missing, a once decrepit picnic table had vanished, none of the
                    eight benches were usable, four had only the damaged concrete supports
                    remaining, and there were no trash receptacles. Wouldn't it be fair if
                    Somerville's 75,000 residents had a few functioning benches to sit on so
                    we could enjoy this small stretch of riverfront?

                    The problem is that the MDC now has to operate largely through line
                    items in the state budget, and not according to the overall maintenance
                    and capital improvement needs of the parklands it oversees. It is time
                    to change the system.

                    Note. As often happens this letter was cut by The Boston Globe.
                    Unfortunately the last paragraph was also deleted, leaving out an
                    important point.