Re: [MysticCrossing] $250K for Mystic Crossing!!!!!!!

  • epdmarine@aol.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 30, 2004
      Good Question, The press package I have includes a fact sheet that states the DCR will "help implement the project" and includes Dan Driscolls name as contact. (Nice Job, Dan!)

      It also has a schedule that states design to begin June 1, 2004 and completed within one year and the crossing to be complete and open to public by June 1, 2006. So they must have these details worked out.

      In a message dated 1/30/2004 14:23:28 Eastern Standard Time, Gillespj@... writes:
      An administrative question, which I am not sure can be completely answered
      depending on terms of the settlement, who is actually the recipient of the
      $250K(Mystic Crossing, Medford, Everett, the State, etc.)  and who is to
      oversee when and how the funds are to be distributed?

      Ofc. Patrick Johnston
      Everett Police Marine Unit
      617-905-3747
    • Lisa Brukilacchio
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 1, 2004
        Just a quick note to let people know that Patrick left a message on Saturday asking if I would let people know that he will be out of touch for a while.

        Early Saturday morning, his house in Everett burned down. His message said that he and his family were all OK, but lost everything. The Everett Police will help to coordinate further assistance, but will not have any specific details until Monday. The Red Cross is providing temporary housing.

        Patrick will be back in touch as soon as possible, but wanted people to realize that he lost his phones and computer, so will be out of communication for the immediate future.

        Janet Kovner and I will help to coordinate some sort of watershed response. One thought that immediately came to mind was assistance to recreate Mystic files. Let one of us know if you could help create a pack of CDs with relevant materials. We'll try to keep you posted.

        Lisa Brukilacchio
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 2, 2004
          The EPA staff (Steven Viggiani and Catherine Smith) deserve a lot of
          credit here, and a hearty thanks. It is their job to work on such
          settlements, sure, but I know they've put in an effort above and
          beyond a simple execution of their jobs. I am proud to have helped,
          as I could, from the citizen side.

          As I leared when it all became public, this was a complex multi-party
          deal, and not a small one. The projects had to be likely to generate
          good press. The powerplant, EPA adminstrators, commuter rail
          operations, DCR, school district and towns all had to agree. The deal
          could easily have unraveled. The powerplant actually paid a higher
          effective fine by voluntarily choosing to support these worthy
          environmental projects.

          You can learn more about the type of settlement that was reached at:
          http://www.epa.gov/region1/enforcement/sep/
          And you can suggest other projects for future consideration. In our
          case bringing people down to the banks helps create a constiuency to
          help clean up the river. And the dam crossing makes a lot of "smart
          growth" sense, in that it will create destinations best walked or
          cycled to.

          -Bryce "quite pleased" Nesbitt

        • epdmarine@aol.com
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 5, 2004
            Hi All,

            I am online via dialup and a borrowed laptop for the first time in a week. Haven't had time to read all the mail but will try to get up to date asap.

            My deepest thanks for all your support, it is much appreciated.

            My cellphone and email is up and accessable to me again so feel free to contact me.

            Patrick
          • Lanny Evarts
            Message 5 of 12 , Feb 6, 2004
              Re: [MysticCrossing] Re: urgent request from Patrick Johnston Patrick,

              Glad to hear from you.  Glad you're getting up and running.  Is there anything your family needs?

              I had written inviting you to an informational coffee about Assembly Square.  I'm having a series of informal coffees for Somerville neighbors.  The next one is this Sunday, Feb 8 at 2:30 at my home in Ten Hills across from Assembly Square.  You're still welcome to come, but if the notice is too short, I'd be happy to keep you on the list for next time if you're interested.  The flyer is attached

              These are informational meetings with the purpose of helping Somerville folks understand the issues.  We ask folks what questions they have, and listen to their concerns and suggestions.  We also share a presentation about some of the research Mystic View has done regarding developing this area.

              I thought you might like to come so you would have a little more knowledge about what's going on and about Mystic View's efforts to optimize this opportunity.  You might also have some ideas that would be helpful to us.

              Lots of good wishes for your family's complete recovery from this challenging experience.

              Lanny Evarts

              230 Fellsway, Somerville
              evarts.lan@...
              617/776-6821