181Re: [MysticCrossing] Digest Number 58

    Mar 2 9:58 AM
      > We are at the moment sort of stymied by the circular problem of how to
      upgrade the plans to the
      > extent the MBTA through Transit Realty Assoc. needs in order to
      consider granting the license. For
      > one thing the very inexpensive path that is conceptualized as a first
      step toward an eventual fully-paved
      > path hardly needs plans at all, and nobody has the money to pay for
      the kind of plans MBTA/TRA
      > seems to want.

      Goodness. What a swamp.

      1) How much money has been granted
      2) How much will the plans cost?
      3) Who at the MBTA is requiring the plans? Maybe some research into MBTA
      rules/regs can help bypass this need.

      This sounds like just the kind of bureaucracy and waste that Romney is
      so opposed to. Surely we can get some political pressure to break the
      deadlock.

      Alternatively, I also wonder whether it makes sense at this point just
      to go for the license and get out of legal limbo. We can then lay stone
      dust or whatever, and people will have permission to use the area.

      Peter Hollands wrote:

      > Hello, all. I’m project director for TeleCom City (now called River’s
      > Edge). I happen to know that the MBTA owns the stretch you are talking
      > about - from the end of the paved path on the west side of the tracks,
      > under the tracks to the Wellington Parking lot. We have been working
      > with DCR and MBTA to figure out how to get a license from MBTA to
      > upgrade this stretch using a small grant that DCR committed to TeleCom
      > City to build it. Steve Winslow is very involved from Bike to the Sea.
      > We are at the moment sort of stymied by the circular problem of how to
      > upgrade the plans to the extent the MBTA through Transit Realty Assoc.
      > needs in order to consider granting the license. For one thing the
      > very inexpensive path that is conceptualized as a first step toward an
      > eventual fully-paved path hardly needs plans at all, and nobody has
      > the money to pay for the kind of plans MBTA/TRA seems to want.
      >
      > That said, the contact I have for the MBTA/TRA regarding this stretch
      > is Melissa A. Boze, License Administrator mboze@...
      > <mailto:mboze@...> 617.482.2525. I would recommend that
      > somebody call her and see if there’s a one-time license that can be had.
      >
      > Peter Hollands

    • Show all 5 messages in this topic