      From: MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com
      [mailto:MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: Tuesday, March 02, 2004 6:58 AM
      To: MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [MysticCrossing] Digest Number 58

      There are 5 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. FW: Walk along the Mystic River
      From: WalkBoston <info@...>
      2. Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
      From: "Robert Mela" <r.mela@...>
      3. Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
      From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>
      4. Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
      From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>
      5. Re: Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River
      From: Bryce W Nesbitt <bryce1@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 11:56:12 -0500
      From: WalkBoston <info@...>
      Subject: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

      Hello,

      Lt. Pat McAdam and Officer Patrick Johnson of the Everett Police Department,
      Marine Division, have come through with the attached information about
      distances for the walk proposed for April 24, 2004. This walk will go
      between Wellington T Station and Sullivan Square via;
      1. the Amelia Earhart Dam (Everett Side);
      2. the Malden/Mystic River path in Everett
      3. the Route 16 bridge over the Malden River
      4. the MBTA Wellington parking lot;
      5. an unpaved path from the parking lot along the Malden and Mystic Rivers
      and under the rapid transit bridge;
      6. the paved path leading along the Mystic River through Medford up to Route
      28;
      7. the Route 28 bridge sidewalk;
      8. the Somerville riverside paths on the Mystic;
      9. the Amelia Earhart Dam (Somerville side) and Draw 7 Park.

      The dam is included as a focus of the walk to underscore the need for a
      pedestrian/bicycle connection over it to connect the existing paths on both
      sides of the river. We will walk to both sides of the dam, covering 4.7
      miles to make a connection that would be about 500 feet if a path over the
      dam were open.

      It is beginning to sound like the total of 4.7 miles is about right for a
      two-hour walk.

      There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the unpaved
      path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking Lot and the
      paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks. Luckily, the path
      is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved path on the
      other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      Unfortunately, we don¹t know who owns this stretch of path. Pat said he
      thought that Medford was working on getting this particular path paved, and
      that it seemed likely that Medford is the key to getting permission to use
      the path on April 24. We are assuming that the new Medford Bipeds (is that
      the right name?) might be the principal actor here. So the question is ­ how
      to get permission to use the one sector of the path that is not open to the
      public for our one-day walk?

      When and if we get the missing link of the route approved, WalkBoston would
      like to prepare a map that can be handed out at the walk and used to
      publicize the need for the Amelia Earhart Dam pedestrian/bicycle path
      connection.

      Please let us know what can be done about the missing link of the path and
      who can do it.

      Thanks.

      Bob

      Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:59:54 -0000
      From: "Robert Mela" <r.mela@...>
      Subject: Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

      > There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the unpaved
      > path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking Lot
      and the
      > paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks. Luckily,
      the path
      > is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved
      path on the
      > other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      It's the Wellington Greenway, part of the Bike to the Sea project.
      Steve Winslow knows more about it than I do.

      I believe it's owned by the MBTA. I'll let him answer the rest, since
      my info may not be completely accurate. You can post an inquiry on
      the bike-to-the-sea Yahoo! group if you don't hear from Steve here.

      Message: 3
      Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:06:42 -0000
      From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>

      That's probably only a minor hitch. The MBTA owns that section of
      dirt path, and keeps it open. You'd create no trouble by just walking
      it. Formal permission would come from Mark Boyle at MBTA real estate,
      but I don't think that asking is justified.

      When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
      Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
      see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
      banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.

      While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
      been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
      requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
      Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
      MBTA.

      -Bryce

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, WalkBoston <info@w...> wrote:
      > There is one major hitch: We will need permission to walk on the
      unpaved
      > path along the Malden River between the T¹s Wellington parking
      Lot
      and the
      > paved path on the other side of the rapid transit tracks. Luckily,
      the path
      > is cleared and actually connects beneath the bridge to the paved
      path on the
      > other side. (Does this section have a name?)

      Message: 4
      Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 02:11:20 -0000
      From: "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@...>

      You'd walk 1.6 miles here to travel downstream by .35 miles.
      -Bryce

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, "Bryce Nesbitt" <bryce1@o...>
      wrote:
      > When you're at Draw 7 park, you might also stare longingly along the
      > Mystic River, toward Charlestown. Through the chain link fence you'll
      > see an MBTA rail yard and bus yard that extend right to the river
      > banks. You may see buses parked just a few feet from the river.
      >
      > While here, imagine what it might have been if the MBTA rail yard had
      > been built after Chapter 91 regulations were implemented (Chapter 91
      > requires public access as part of most waterfront development).
      > Instead, you'll turn around and walk the long way to Sullivan Square
      > MBTA.

      Message: 5
      Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 20:52:06 -0800
      From: Bryce W Nesbitt <bryce1@...>
      Subject: Re: Re: FW: Walk along the Mystic River

      Here's a picture of the route you described, along with potential new
      linkages worthy of highlighting on the tour.
      -Bryce

      [This message contained attachments]