117Re: $250K for Mystic Crossing!!!!!!!

    Feb 2, 2004
      The EPA staff (Steven Viggiani and Catherine Smith) deserve a lot of
      credit here, and a hearty thanks. It is their job to work on such
      settlements, sure, but I know they've put in an effort above and
      beyond a simple execution of their jobs. I am proud to have helped,
      as I could, from the citizen side.

      As I leared when it all became public, this was a complex multi-party
      deal, and not a small one. The projects had to be likely to generate
      good press. The powerplant, EPA adminstrators, commuter rail
      operations, DCR, school district and towns all had to agree. The deal
      could easily have unraveled. The powerplant actually paid a higher
      effective fine by voluntarily choosing to support these worthy
      environmental projects.

      You can learn more about the type of settlement that was reached at:
      http://www.epa.gov/region1/enforcement/sep/
      And you can suggest other projects for future consideration. In our
      case bringing people down to the banks helps create a constiuency to
      help clean up the river. And the dam crossing makes a lot of "smart
      growth" sense, in that it will create destinations best walked or
      cycled to.

      -Bryce "quite pleased" Nesbitt

      --- In MysticCrossing@yahoogroups.com, smith.catherine@e... wrote:

      > You owe Bryce Nesbitt a great big thanks for his quiet advocacy with the
      > EPA. Janet Kovner of the Mystic River Watershed Association and Dan
      > Driscoll of the DCR also have been great advocates for expanding the
      > network of Mystic River paths -- and this piece in particular. Sorry we
      > had to keep it so secret, but enforcement settlements are confidential
      > until lodged with the court. I was working with Bryce on another
      > project when he brought the Mystic crossing project to EPA's attention.
      >
      > Steven Viggiani is the EPA attorney who negotiated the Mystic Exelon
      > case with the Mystic Exelon attorneys (who, to their credit, were very
      > enthusiastic about the project). It was crucial to know that there was
      > a lot of community support for the project, so we have been reading your
      > emails for the last few months with glee!
    • Show all 12 messages in this topic