Myotubularin: Addition comments

  • TONI ABRAM
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30 12:12 PM
      Message
      Janice

      Just a note to say thank you for sharing your findings with everyone - regarding the comments made about Myotubularin, I thought I would add the following, which is included on my website.

      Terminology:

      Defects in the gene for this protein account for X-linked cases of Centronuclear / Myotubular Myopathy. The myotubularin protein is an enzyme whose function is required for proper development of muscle cells.

      Research Developments:

      (All information and comments kindly supplied by Sharon E. Hesterlee, Ph.D. Director of Research Development, Muscular Dystrophy Association, Arizona)

      Projects that have passed review by the MDA medical and scientific advisory committees

      Peter Harte, Ph.D., Case Western Reserve University (Cleveland, OH) "Genetic and biochemical investigation of Drosophila MTM1 function".

      Gail Herman, M.D., Ph.D., Ohio State University (Columbus, OH) " Molecular studies of x-linked myotubular myopathy (MTM)

      Other Myotubular Myopathy Research

      These researchers aren’t funded by MDA (USA) but their work appears to be relevant to myotubular myopathy. The last author is usually the one to contact and this person can be reached at the address listed below the authors. For example, in the first article, you would address your inquiry to Dr. JL Mandel at Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS/INSERM/ULP, Strasbourg, France.

      Diagnosis of X-linked myotubular myopathy by detection of myotubularin. Laporte J, Kress W, Mandel JL. Institut de Genetique et de Biologie Moleculaire et Cellulaire, CNRS/INSERM/ULP, Strasbourg, France.

      Characterization of MTMR3. an inositol lipid 3-phosphatase with novel substrate specificity. Walker DM, Urbe S, Dove SK, Tenza D, Raposo G, Clague MJ. Physiological Laboratory, University of Liverpool, Crown Street, L69 3BX, Liverpool, United Kingdom.

      Normal innervation and differentiation of X-linked myotubular myopathy muscle cells in a nerve-muscle coculture system. Dorchies OM, Laporte J, Wagner S, Hindelang C, Warter J, Mandel J, Poindron P. Laboratoire de Pathologie des Communications entre Cellules Nerveuses et Musculaires (UPRES 2308), UFR des Sciences Pharmaceutiques, BP 24, 74 route du Rhin, 67401 Cedex,., Illkirch, France

      Limb girdle and facial weakness in female carriers of X-linked myotubular myopathy mutations. Sutton IJ, Winer JB, Norman AN, Liechti-Gallati S, MacDonald F. Department of Neurology, Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Birmingham, UK. iansutton@...

      Inaugural article: myotubularin, a protein tyrosine phosphatase mutated in myotubular myopathy, dephosphorylates the lipid second messenger, phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate. Taylor GS, Maehama T, Dixon JE. Department of Biological Chemistry, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-0606, USA.
      FACE