Re: humidifier temp

  • jenn332
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 10, 2008
      Hi Betsy,

      Nathaniel's humidifier is set between 37.8 and 38.0. It used to be
      slightly lower but the nurses decided that the warmer air helps to
      loosen his secretions. Your nurse is right that we don't normally
      breathe such warm air (and certainly not in the UK!) but then most
      people don't usually breathe through a trachy either!

      Jennie

      PS - on a slightly different note, my baby is now managing to
      breathe for 12 hours a day by himself after not being able to
      breathe at all at birth! Amazing! Yesterday, the doctors failed to
      decanulate him and we were all a bit deflated but they assure me
      that now that he breathes so well it it only a matter of time before
      we move to NIV.

      --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "Betsy Grant"
      <betsy@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > My son has humidity on with his vent at night, to his trach. The
      temp is set
      > for 37 degrees C, which is about 98 degrees F. One nurse is saying
      that it's
      > too warm, we all don't normally breathe 98 degree air....it's a
      heated
      > circuit as well. The respiratory therapist says it's fine. We
      don't have a
      > dial on it so we can adjust it ourselves, it's pre-set. (weird,
      huh?).
      > What are you all setting your dials at?
      >
      > Betsy

    • brandimtmmom
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 11, 2008
        Raygen's airway temp. on his humidifier vent at night has always been
        set 37degrees Celsius. and he is almost 2. I onece had a respitory
        therapist say the 40 degrees was too high, but 37 was good.
      • Dana
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 16, 2008
          Hi Betsy!!
          That is weird!! Cason has had 3 different vents and all of them had a
          temperature adjust knob!?!? Anyway, We have always set Cason's temp at
          34. If we set it any higher than that Cason tells me it is too hot and
          his hoses fill up with water. He has the heated circuits too.
          Good Luck:
          Dana & Cason

          wrote:

          > Hi everyone,
          >
          > My son has humidity on with his vent at night, to his trach. The temp
          is set
          > for 37 degrees C, which is about 98 degrees F. One nurse is saying
          that it's
          > too warm, we all don't normally breathe 98 degree air....it's a heated
          > circuit as well. The respiratory therapist says it's fine. We don't
          have a
          > dial on it so we can adjust it ourselves, it's pre-set. (weird, huh?).
          > What are you all setting your dials at?
          >
          > Betsy

        • bv_mixednuts
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
            Christopher's humidifier is set at 39 and has been since he came home.
            He plugs if we have it lower.
            Virginia
            --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "brandimtmmom"
            <brandimtmmom@...> wrote:

            > Raygen's airway temp. on his humidifier vent at night has always been
            > set 37degrees Celsius. and he is almost 2. I onece had a respitory
            > therapist say the 40 degrees was too high, but 37 was good.

          • Sally Eubanks
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 17, 2008
              hi betsy--

              our hospital switched from humidifiers to a self-humidifying filter, changed once per day. this seems to work well for oscar and we don't have issues with water in his tubes (plus its one less thing to carry around.)

              sally

              > My son has humidity on with his vent at night, to his
              > trach. The temp is set
              > for 37 degrees C, which is about 98 degrees F. One nurse is
              > saying that it's
              > too warm, we all don't normally breathe 98 degree
              > air....it's a heated
              > circuit as well. The respiratory therapist says it's
              > fine. We don't have a
              > dial on it so we can adjust it ourselves, it's pre-set.
              > (weird, huh?).
              > What are you all setting your dials at?
              >
              > Betsy

              http://mail.yahoo.com
            • Connie Guinn
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 18, 2008
                Jess,
                We use a similar HME when traveling with Benjamin.  Our problem is that Benjamin's lungs are very sensitive, so even the HME is not enough humidification to keep him from drying out and getting plugs.  When traveling, we have to soak the HME with saline (we do this by emptying a saline 'bullet' into the HME before use)- we have to do this at least every 3 hours, otherwise, he will get a plug.  This is why, when we are at home, we use heated wire circuits with a humidifier.
                FYI... this lung sensitivity that Benjamin has is also the reason that we cannot use Robinol for his secretions :(
                xo Connie

                Connie Guinn, Director

                MTM-CNM Planning Committee

                mtmfamilyconference@...

                www.mtm-cnm.com

                I was just wondering if any boys do not use a humidifier?
                Jack never used one when he was on the LTV 100 and he doesn't with the new Vent either. He did when he was a preemie and was in hospital though.
                Does anyone also use Hygroboy? http://www.nellcor. com/prod/ Product.aspx? S1=AIR&S2=DAR&id=70

                Sally Eubanks wrote:

                hi betsy--

                our hospital switched from humidifiers to a self-humidifying filter, changed once per day. this seems to work well for oscar and we don't have issues with water in his tubes (plus its one less thing to carry around.)

                sally

                > My son has humidity on with his vent at night, to his
                > trach. The temp is set
                > for 37 degrees C, which is about 98 degrees F. One nurse is
                > saying that it's
                > too warm, we all don't normally breathe 98 degree
                > air....it's a heated
                > circuit as well. The respiratory therapist says it's
                > fine. We don't have a
                > dial on it so we can adjust it ourselves, it's pre-set.
                > (weird, huh?).
                > What are you all setting your dials at?
                >
                > Betsy

                Do You Yahoo!?