Carnitine

  • dhahjh
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
      Hello all. I have been doing some research on the use of carnitine
      supplements. I am curious if any of you have tried this with your
      sons and what the results were. Thank you.
    • Rob & Helene Gaissert
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
        I have given my son Robert supplements of Carnitor, a liquid pharmaceutical form of carnitine.  I firmly believe it helped my son.  We had to insist to get the prescription from his doctor.  I also gave my son CO Enzyme Q 10 and lipoic acid supplements.  There's been research that these supplements help muscular disorders.  The way I looked at it was that it couldn't hurt.  Follow your instincts in addition to the doctor's advice. Good Luck and God Bless
        Rob Gaissert NY

      • robert.shapiro@JPMchase.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2003
          Hi,
          Yes We have been using Carnitor (prescription brand) with Jay Jay for 3
          years. He also gets CO-Q 10. I believe they help him (they are protein
          absorbers) but there is no way to verify this. Again, it certainly
          doesn't harm him. If any of your children have a Carnitine deficiency then
          this will help them dramatically. Otherwise it probably does nothing.
          Bob Sherry and Jay Jay

          "dhahjh"
          <dhahjh@yahoo. To: Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com
          com> cc:
          Subject: [Myotubular_Myopathy] Carnitine
          06/03/03 02:09
          PM
          Please respond
          Myotubular_Myo
          pathy

          Hello all. I have been doing some research on the use of carnitine
          supplements. I am curious if any of you have tried this with your
          sons and what the results were. Thank you.

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

        • evil pixie
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003
            Jack was on Carnitine for a month when he was 8 weeks to 12 weeks old... we saw a great improvement... however his carntine levels were perfect before they commenced treatment.. and after they were the same. So he didnt have a defiency.
            After they took him off it... he seemed to improve just as much as he was when on it.. We all agreed it was jack improving himself without the Carnitine..
            I have heard it really helps some, so it wouldnt hurt him trying it the only thing it may do is make him smell like a fish!
            Good Luck

            There is an article by the MDA on cartine here is the link.

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 4, 2003