Our Identical Twins with XLMTM are starting to walk at 19 months.

  • Rosemary and Len Spampinato
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 16, 2007
      Yes, our sons Roman and Dante are both cruising. Roman has taken 5 or
      six steps on his own. Dante has been more cautious and is still holding
      on to everything.

      Are there other boys with MTM who've walked? Our guys were six weeks
      early and it doesn't seem that they are that far behind.

      We didn't think they were going to live let alone walk when they were
      born. Now, they are all over the place in their little cars and
      walker. Is this just temporary? Is this ability going to go away?
      I should be so happy but, I'm still so scared even if they start to
      walk later they may not be able. Is their walking this early a
      prediction they will be able to walk as an adult?

      Any comment would help.

      Thank you.
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 16, 2007

        Hi

        I can’t see any reason why they would lose the ability to walk. The only time that Zak lost that ability was when he was 3 years old and  had chicken pox, lung collapse and pneumonia and was off his feet for about a month altogether, and had an IV canula in his

        (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

      • Spampinato, Rosemary
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 16, 2007
          Thank you Wendy.
          I don't think I have to explain to you how that makes me feel. I feel lucky and blessed, still a little confused, but ultimately thankful.

          I think you have Zak's pictures posted. When your family was in Paris. Beautiful and inspirational. I imagine you get the wheel chair for long distances.

          I can’t see any reason why they would lose the ability to walk. The only time that Zak lost that ability was when he was 3 years old and  had chicken pox, lung collapse and pneumonia and was off his feet for about a month altogether, and had an IV canula in his foot (as that was the only decent vain they could find).  In retrospect, we should have encouraged him to stand in a standing frame to keep the ability/muscles working.  However, even after losing strength in his trunk and leg muscles for a while, he did regain the ability to walk again after a few months.  He is still a very proficient walker (age 11) although he doesn’t like to walk as far (unless he has a balloon or soft ball to kick along in which case he goes on and on and on for ages…..)  As a rough idea – he would walk about 2 / 3 miles sometimes 3 times a week at the age of 5!  The only reason that he wouldn’t manage that distance now – is solely due to the demands of being full time in school having a bigger weight to carry around and having a busy life!

          Take care, Wendy

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 16, 2007

            Definitely, we don’t leave home without it!  In fact we are faced with a new dilemma – we need a bigger car because we’d like to take the wheelchair, electric scooter and

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 16, 2007
              Well skipping the line is a silver lining. What a funny predicament.
              Is he able to go for a full day of school without the wheelchair?
              Definitely, we don’t leave home without it!  In fact we are faced with a new dilemma – we need a bigger car because we’d like to take the wheelchair, electric scooter and  hippocampe” (Hippocampe is a brilliant contraption designed in france – accommodating  a child* to adult.  It goes straight into the sea or swimming pool and floats.   You can even get skis for it!!)!  I can highly recommend Paris for disability access if you ever get the urge to take your boys – its wonderful, beautiful city and people are so helpful towards anyone with a disability. By taking the wheelchair we could walk to all the museums and places of interest and then Zak would get out and walk!  In fact, we felt huge frauds because having been ushered by the stewards and skipping about a 3 hour queue to go up the Eiffel tower Zak just got out of his wheelchair in the lift and asked to walk up the steps to the next deck!! How embarrassing!  I really wish I could say the same for London, although don’t let it put you off as things are improving dramatically especially with the new DDA laws……..we notice a difference every time we go in.

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 16, 2007
                Hi Rosemary:

                First of all - BIG congratulations on the boys beginning to walk!  Sebi took his first steps at 18 months, and is now a great walker.  We do not use a wheelchair, but he is still small enough that if he gets tired, we just carry him.  Still, I find my reserves typically run out before Sebi's do!  ;)  My brother, too, has MTM (milder) and he walked at 13 months, and has never needed additional support (he is now 30).  So, although you never really know what will happen, it sounds like your boys are doing so well and will be great walkers!

                Again, such great news!
                Kristin

                Rosemary and Len Spampinato <spampinator@...> wrote:
                Yes, our sons Roman and Dante are both cruising. Roman has taken 5 or
                six steps on his own. Dante has been more cautious and is still holding
                on to everything.

                Are there other boys with MTM who've walked? Our guys were six weeks
                early and it doesn't seem that they are that far behind.

                We didn't think they were going to live let alone walk when they were
                born. Now, they are all over the place in their little cars and
                walker. Is this just temporary? Is this ability going to go away?
                I should be so happy but, I'm still so scared even if they start to
                walk later they may not be able. Is their walking this early a
                prediction they will be able to walk as an adult?

                Any comment would help.

                Thank you.

                Don't pick lemons.
                See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 16, 2007

                  Absolutely, he still does. I think secondary (mainstream) schooling will be demanding which is why we got the scooter – so he can scoot to lessons then get off and walk in and still be there at the same time as his friends.  But a primary he’s always been without wheelchair – usually, we push it around after him on school trips too!!  It’s a good bag-carrier if nothing else!

                • Spampinato, Rosemary
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 19, 2007
                    GOD BLESS YOU Kristen. You just made my life better and gave my future hope.

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 19, 2007
                      Oh my gosh Wendy. I can feel the overwhelming feelings lifting.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 26, 2007
                        Hi there, I am excited to read of children walking, my question is
                        how many times if ever has your child been ventilated during their
                        medical history. My 9 month old is ventilated now with knenmonia, and
                        I am wondering about other parents and their experiences.
                        Thanks

                        Stacey

                        -- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "Wendy" <wendyhughes@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Absolutely, he still does. I think secondary (mainstream) schooling
                        will
                        > be demanding which is why we got the scooter - so he can scoot to
                        > lessons then get off and walk in and still be there at the same
                        time as
                        > his friends. But a primary he's always been without wheelchair -
                        > usually, we push it around after him on school trips too!! It's a
                        good
                        > bag-carrier if nothing else!

                        Spampinato,
                        > Rosemary
                        > Sent: 16 March 2007 20:00
                        > To: Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com
                        > Subject: RE: [Myotubular_Myopathy] Our Identical Twins with XLMTM
                        are
                        > starting to walk at 19 months.
                        >
                        > Well skipping the line is a silver lining. What a funny
                        predicament.
                        > Is he able to go for a full day of school without the wheelchair?

                      • Spampinato, Rosemary
                        Message 11 of 13 , Mar 27, 2007
                          The twins were ventilated for their first two months. They were titrated down from ventilator very slowly to cycled c pap, c-pap and then nasal canula. They never received bi pap although we got close about a month ago because we suspected pneumonia.

                          Thhey haven't been on a ventilaor since they were about two months.
                          Now, our pulmonologist in Pittsburgh and his department try to avoid putting kids with myopathies on ventilators because of the increased risk of infection. I don't believe they have treated anyone else with MTM except my sons but they have seen so of the other myopathies before. Of course, if they had to ventilate the boys they would but they would try to avoid it.

                          I'm curious what people think about this philosophy.

                          wrote:

                          > Absolutely, he still does. I think secondary (mainstream) schooling
                          will
                          > be demanding which is why we got the scooter - so he can scoot to
                          > lessons then get off and walk in and still be there at the same
                          time as
                          > his friends. But a primary he's always been without wheelchair -
                          > usually, we push it around after him on school trips too!! It's a
                          good
                          > bag-carrier if nothing else!

                        • patsarah2006
                          Message 12 of 13 , Mar 28, 2007
                            Rosemary, Regarding your request for feedback on the Pittsburgh
                            pulmonologist's approach to avoid ventilators in children with
                            myopathies, I'm not sure if I understood the point about the risk of
                            infections. I am admittedly no expert on this, but I don't think that
                            the ventilator itself increases the risk of infections. There are
                            some experts who believe that the tracheostomy may increase the
                            secretions and that putting the tube down the trach for suctioning
                            can sometimes push/lodge those secretions deeper down, and that all
                            of this plugging of secretions can increase the risk of infections.
                            Some children apparently require the trach and get fantastic, life-
                            saving benefit from it. But, as Wendy in the UK has already
                            accurately pointed out, other children are able to get by with non-
                            invasive ventilation ("non-invasive" means that the child still uses
                            a ventilator, but does not have a trach. Instead, the ventilator
                            attaches to the child through a nose mask or a mouthpiece, thus
                            avoiding the tracheostomy in some patients). Thus, with noninvasive
                            ventilation some kids can avoid the potential downsides of the trach
                            (secretions, decreased ability to localize/talk) but still get the
                            benefit of the ventilator (if they need that, which fortunately the
                            twins apparently don't). Each case is of course an individual
                            decision between the family and the treating doctors.

                            For our son Adam, we are fortunate that his myopathy is mild enough
                            that he has never required a ventilator or tracheostomy. Still, his
                            myopathy causes weakness in the muscles that would normally cough to
                            expel secretions. His doctors advocate the clearing the secretions is
                            the most important thing for preventing infections. (And
                            teaching/using diligent handwashing is important for the child and
                            all caregivers, friends, siblings, etc..). Adam's protocol is that we
                            monitor his oxygen saturation with a pulse oximeter. When his oxygen
                            saturation goes to less than 95%, we use a CoughAssist machine to
                            help clear the secretions and get the saturation back up above 95%.
                            Adam's doctor treats lots of patients with myopathies, including some
                            with XLMTM, and uses a similar approach of trying to avoid infections
                            by monitoring oxygen saturation and clearing the secretions (whether
                            the patient is using a ventilator or not).

                            You are one state away (I'm in New Jersey), so hopefully one day our
                            families/kids will meet. Until then, all the best.

                            -Pat
                          • patsarah2006
                            Message 13 of 13 , Mar 28, 2007
                              Rosemary, First of all, I am thrilled to hear that your twins are
                              starting to walk. That's great! I know that my wife Sarah and others
                              in the online community here have already extended their
                              congratulations, but I've gotten behind on this Yahoo group so I'm
                              catching up now. We all share in joy of the successes that these
                              children achieved. Myotubular/Centronuclear Myopathies (MTM/CNM) are
                              serious conditions, but many of these children do far better than
                              doctors might tell us based on the older medical literature. The fact
                              that your twins have XLMTM (considered to be the most severe form of
                              CNM) but are not requiring a ventilator and are starting to walk is a
                              terrific example of this. (Also, the medical literature last year,
                              2006, included a 68 year old grandfather who was diagnosed with
                              XLMTM.) Meanwhile, let me say once again how thrilled I am that the
                              twins are doing so well. I will keep the twins, and all of these
                              children, in my daily thoughts and prayers, wishing them all great
                              things.
                              -Pat (in New Jersey)

                              --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "Rosemary and Len