News article: Tributes paid to baby Jack.

  • patsarah2006
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
      Hi, gang. FYI, this was published today in the UK:

      Tributes paid to baby Jack.
      http://www.worthingtoday.co.uk:80/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=474&ArticleID=2011214

      THE parents of a baby who died on his first birthday have paid tribute
      to him and the support they received during his short life.
      Jack Blunsdon died at Chestnut Tree House children's hospice, in
      Poling, near Arundel, on Thursday, January 11.

      He suffered from a rare condition called myotubular myopathy, which
      causes muscle weakness throughout the body.

      Sufferers have trouble holding their heads up, sitting up and swallowing.

      Speaking to the Herald, Jack's parents, Dave Blunsdon and Karen Vardy,
      from Lancing, described Jack as "incredible".

      Dave, 41, said: "He was amazing. He was a very happy kid, considering
      what he had wrong with him. We were told when we had the diagnosis
      that it would be highly unlikely he would make it through the winter.

      Karen, 32, added: "That is the general prognosis you get from the
      medical profession, until you get to speak to the people who really
      know about it.

      "It is a general muscle weakness. It shows itself at birth. There is a
      one in 50,000 to 100,000 chance of you having a child with it.

      "The way it presents itself is very similar to other conditions, like
      spinal muscular atrophy – they are very weak at birth, they can't
      swallow."

      Jack spent the first six weeks of his life in hospital before going
      home, and was then in and out of hospital before going to Chestnut
      Tree House for care.

      Dave and Karen paid tribute to everyone who had helped care for Jack,
      including staff at Beach and Beeding wards, at Worthing Hospital, and
      staff at the hospice.

      Dave said: "They were incredible – very caring, very calm. We had a
      lot of respite care. The community nurse came out to allow Karen to go
      shopping or get her hair done. We couldn't leave Jack with anyone else
      because his needs were too much."

      Karen said she also wanted to thank staff at the Royal Alexandra
      Hospital for Sick Children, in Brighton, and Ian Hart, who organised
      Jack's funeral last Monday.

      Dave added: "We had 150 people at his funeral, which was an amazing
      turnout. He was a great kid. Thank you to everyone who helped us
      through his life. Friends and family have been superb and very
      supportive."

      Last month, the Herald reported that Jack's family raised more than
      £6,000 for Chestnut Tree House. The couple are keen to raise awareness
      of myotubular myopathy.

      Anyone wishing to make a donation in Jack's memory is asked to give to
      Chestnut Tree House, or to the Myotubular Trust charity, via the
      website www.myotubulartrust.com
    • Cliff Howeth
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 1, 2007
        Our hearts, thoughts, and prayers go out to Jack's
        family.

        http://mobile.yahoo.com/mail