Cough assist

  • pinksarah21
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 8, 2006
      Stacey,
      I am so glad that you are looking into a Cough Assist for Briar! I
      makes a world of difference for Adam. It took him a while to get
      used to it but now, he actually asks for it. Here's my few ideas
      about funding:
      1) Regular insurance: I would try again to get your regular
      insurance to pay for it with a letter of medical necessity and
      appeal the denial. Do you have an insurance case manager? If not,
      I would apply for one. If you get a good case manager they can
      think through what will be medically beneficially and cheaper for
      the insurance company in the long-term.
      2) I would consider renting one until all this gets straightened
      out. If you have trouble finding a vendor, please contact me
      because I can help you find one in your area.
      3) MDA- the MDA does not provide $$ for payment of a cough assist
      machine, but you can ask. I think that we should start a MDA
      campaign for this service, but that's another issue. Your MDA may
      possibly have one in their equipment lending closet.
      4) DDD - every state should have a Division of Developmental
      Disabilities. You can apply for their services. In my state (NJ)
      they have an Adaptive Devices Program where you can apply for
      funds. The DDD application process can take up to 6 months.
      5) If your out of pocket medical expenses for Briar exceed 5% of
      your income you may be able to apply to your state for a Medicaid
      waiver for children, regardless of income. You can then use this as
      another insurance source to help pay for medical expenses.
      6) Local Kiwanis - ask any local groups about help with funding for
      equipment if you have no other means. I know the Knights of
      Columbus through the Catholic Church sometimes raise funds for
      things like this.
      Please feel free to contact me off line or call me at home 973-882-
      1996 for more help. Sarah