Nursing/personal care attendent

  • scootergurl86
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 7, 2006
      I was wondering if anyone here has had good experiences or bad with a
      home health aide? I currently have nursing care 24/7 at college and
      am getting tired of putting up with someone always around me. Anyone
      have any ideas?

      Thanks,
      Rachael
    • Scott & Betsy Grant

        Message 3 of 7 , Aug 17, 2006
          Haha yeah, I have tried to tell them to leave me alone for an hour or
          so, but they get so mad over it...it's kinda funny. I will be getting
          PA's next year which I am sorta excited for the change though.
        • Scott & Betsy Grant
          Message 4 of 7 , Aug 17, 2006
            ask them how they'd feel if they were always with somebody and never alone!

            On 8/17/06, scootergurl86 <scootergurl86@...> wrote:

            Haha yeah, I have tried to tell them to leave me alone for an hour or
            so, but they get so mad over it...it's kinda funny. I will be getting
            PA's next year which I am sorta excited for the change though.

          • nadine
            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 18, 2006
              Hey Rachel

              I have nursing about 30 hrs a week... I have a girl 4 years old and
              mael who's 14 month. i need the nurses to have thime with my
              daughter.

              the insurance pays 14 hrs a day... at the begin i had that much... i
              felt so depressed to have all the time "foreign" people around me.
              so I decided to reduce and told them that they do a good job but i
              need mor time for myself. it was hard because everyone around us
              seems to know better, what is good for us. - now i feel very much
              better... I have time at my own with my children which is important
              for me - and i think - it's also important for my two children.

              but more and more mael needs more time. now, he's no longer a baby
              and i think i have to get more nursing for playing with him and to
              support him as good as possible to - unfortunately it is not
              possible for me to be all the day at his bed or with him. but now i
              am accustomed to the situation and i know our "nursing-angels"... so
              it would be easyer to accept.

              the most important thing i learnd about our situation: tell what we
              need and also tell what we don't need ;-)
              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 18, 2006
                Hey Jess,

                It's so great to hear from you. You need to put some updated pics
                of Jack and Jasmine on Jack's site! :)

                Sorry....I digress. To answer your question...right now Javad sleeps
                in our room. Needless to say, it is a bedroom in name only. Our room
                is more like a living room with a bed in it! We are in the process
                (well, thinking process) of adding two bedrooms in the basement for
                the big kinds so we can move Simon and Javad to other rooms. Then
                Javad could be in his room and we could take our space back!

                It is hard sometimes to have people in the house. We have had some
                of the same nurses care for Javad for almost three years. We have
                been lucky, but then it is hard when someone leaves and we start
                again.

                We also may go outside if we want a private conversation. Having
                help can be a mixed blessing, but I am glad that we have the help.
                Javad is definitely better off for having all the people who love
                him as a part of his life!

                Shannon
              • angela huss
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 19, 2006
                  Dear Jess,

                  Hello! How is Jack doing? What is his website? I know while Patrick was alive (he passed 2/30/05).  I had 16+ hrs. of nursing and there were days I thought I was going nuts with nurses and therapists in the home. Make sure that you keep clear with the nurses where they are allowed and not allowed. Like e.g.,  If they are allowed to smoke? What are allowed to do such as watch TV, listen to videos etc. I know I had several cases where nurses were not washing hands after using the restroom and infecting him while suctioning his trach. I had several nurses become close with my two younger children and they offered to help me with them ( I have MTM too) and I am in a p/chair.  that is not a good thing to allow. It caused a big deal that was blown out of proportion. Keep a schedule who is going to be there and when to make it less confusing. I hope this is helpful. Hugs to Jack.

                  Take care.

                  Sincerely,

                  Angie

                  Jess Juckers <faewyn@...> wrote:
                  Hi Guys,

                  When you guys have nursing, do they have access to most of the house?
                  Jack only spends time in his room when he sleeps at night so our nurses spend a lot of time in our family room or lounge room with him. Or they take him outside, weather permitting.. When have futon set up in the family room so if Jack gets tired and wants to lay down, he can as it allows him to be apart of what is going on in the house with the family.

                  This can be a bit busy at times, like when we have visitors and everyone is in the family room as it adjoins the kitchen area and they like to involve Jack also. I find if we want to have conversations that we don't want our nurses to hear, we either go outside or go into the lounge room away from them. This is not always easy as Jack wants to come with us.

                  It can be so hard having help in your home, I guess nothing is ever easy!
                  How does everyone cope with visitors and nurses and children all at the same time?

                  Jess
                  The Top 10 reasons I Procrastinate:  1.

                  http://www.eset. com