Welcome to Holland - Raising a child with a Disability

  • matthewsmommay01
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 2, 2003
      WELCOME TO HOLLAND…
      BY: EMILY KINGSLEY

      I AM OFTEN ASKED TO DESCRIBE THE EXPERIENCE OF RAISING A CHILD WITH A
      DISABILTY-TO TRY TO HELP PEOPLE WHO HAVE NOT SHARED THAT UNIQUE
      EXPERIENCE TO UNDERSTAND IT, TO IMAGINE HOW IT WOULD FEEL. IT'S LIKE
      THIS….

      WHEN YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A BABY, IT'S LIKE PLANNING A FABULOUS
      VACATION
      TRIP- TO ITALY. YOU BUY A BUNCH OF GUIDEBOOKS AND MAKE WONDERFUL
      PLANS, THE COLISEUM, MICHELANGELO'S DAVID, and THE GONDOLAS IN
      VENICE. YOU MAY EVEN LEARN SOME HANDY PHRASE IN ITALIAN. IT IS ALL
      VERY EXCITING.

      AFTER MONTHS OF EAGER ANTICIPATION, THE DAY FINALLY ARRIVES. YOU
      PACK YOUR BAGS AND OFF YOU GO. SEVERAL HOURS LATER, THE PLANE
      LANDS. THE FLIGHT ATTENDANT COMES IN AND SAYS "WELCOME TO HOLLAND".

      "HOLLAND!" YOU SAY. "WHAT DO YOU MEAN HOLLAND? I SIGNED UP FOR
      ITALY! I AM SUPPOSED TO BE IN ITALY. ALL MY LIFE I'VE DREAMED OF
      ITALY!"

      BUT THERE HAS BEEN A CHANGE IN THE FLIGHT PLAN AND THERE YOU MUST
      STAY.

      THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT THEY HAVEN'T TAKEN YOU TO A HORRIBLE,
      DISGUSTING FILTHY PLACE, FULL OF PESTILENCE AND DISEASE. IT IS JUST
      A DIFFERENT PLACE.

      YOU MUST GO BUY NEW GUIDEBOOKS; LEARN AWHOLE NEW LANGUAGE. YOU WILL
      MEET A WHOLE NEW GROUP OF PEOPLE YOU WOULD HAVE NEVER MET.

      IT'S JUST A DIFFERENT PLACE. IT IS SLOWER PACED THAN ITALY, LESS
      FLASHY THAN ITALY. BUT AFTER YOU'VE BEEN THERE A WHILE AND YOU CATCH
      YOUR BREATH, YOU LOOK AROUND, AND YOU BEGIN TO NOTICE THAT HOLLAND
      HAS WINDMILLS, HOLLAND HAS TULIPS, HOLLAND EVEN HAS REMBRANDTS.

      BUT EVERYONE YOU KNOW IS BUSY COMING AND GOING FROM ITLAY, AND THEY
      ARE ALL BRAGGING ABOUT WHAT A WONDERFUL TIME THEY HAD THERE. FOR THE
      REST OF YOUR LIFE, YOU WILL SAY, "YES, THAT IS WHERE I WAS SUPPOSED
      TO GO, THAT IS WHAT I HAD PLANNED."

      THE PAIN OF THAT WILL NEVER GO AWAY, BECAUSE THE LOSS OF A DREAM IS A
      VERY SIGNIFICANT LOSS.

      BUT IF YOU SPEND YOUR WHOLE LIFE MOURNING THE FACT THAT YOU DIDN'T
      GET TO ITALY, YOU MAY NEVER BE FREE TO ENJOY TO VERY SPECIAL, THE
      VERY LOVING THINGS OF HOLLAND.