Re: [Myotubular_Myopathy] From: Toni, 15th October 2003

    Message 1 of 11 , Dec 1, 2003
      Toni,
      Here is a link to our site. <a
      href="http://www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/indexzep1.html">Wide World of MD</a>
      Let me know if you have problems linking to it.
      I know I had some trouble with sending emails to an aol addy and also a
      friend of mine at aol says hers to me keep coming back to her.
      Sorry to hear about your uncles passing. Never an easy time to lose
      someone but the holidays make it especially hard. Cancer is such a
      devastating disease.
      I hope your dad is doing better. Did they figure out what was going on?
      Please be proactive with your health since there is a history of heart
      problems in your family. I stress this point to my son since his sister
      passed away due to complications linked to the xmtm.
      You are so right about maintaining a positive attitude. I am a firm
      believer in you need to make the best of what you have. I know I used to
      get embarassed when I would fall or struggle going up stairs. I guess
      being in the chair now is easier cuz ppl see right off there is
      something wrong. Where we live also the ppl are most helpful and
      friendly. If they seem uncomfortable I will say hi and then they will
      speak back.
      You are so right about certain products being toni/pat proof. I have to
      have my husband open anything marked child proof. lol I just hand them
      over instead of trying to struggle with them.
      When I first started to try and find out information on mtm it was few
      and far between. I know when I found your site I was thrilled. Up until
      then I had not met anyone with a dx of myopathy. I had linked to this
      site earlier too but there was not much activity. I was glad to see when
      the list picked up. Also that there are adults on the list. I have had
      trouble finding any adults to speak with about having md much less mtm.
      I wish I would have known you back in '90. My girlfriend and I took a 23
      day trip to Great Britain and Ireland. I am Scotch, Irish, English,
      German and Bohemian. Thus the interest in GB and Ireland. I did not know
      at the time I had md. While we were on our trip I fell 6 times. In
      Oxford I fell down some stairs at a car park and broke a bone in my
      foot. I hobbled around the rest of our trip not knowing it was broken.
      This was only 4 days into our trip. I have since met a few ppl with
      children who have a type of myopathy from England. I had thought this
      could be the link as to where mine came from. However, my dad is the one
      who is Scotch, Irish, English. He had the blood test and it came back
      normal. We suspect it was my mom's side cuz she had some of the same
      symtoms I do. She passed away in 87 before we were dx'd. She had another
      heart attack and went in her sleep. Another reason I go in for yearly
      checkups for my heart and get after my son to do the same.
      How is your new 'superhuman wellies' working out? I get the
      burning/cramps in my legs too. Do you take any medication for the md? I
      take mestinon, baclofen and until recently I had also been taking
      neurontin for some nerve damage in my one leg. Does anyone else take
      meds for their myopathy? I found out on the increased dosage of
      neurontin I got ulclers on my one leg again. For the last two months I
      have had a nurse come in twice a week and wrap it. A couple of years ago
      when they tried to increase the neurontin I got the same thing. They are
      especially bad this time but the proform wrap is the only thing which
      will clear it up. I will continue to have it wrapped for at least
      another month or two.
      It seems to me on other lists I have seen where ppl mention their child
      also has one leg shorter than the other. I want to say everyone has this
      but not sure. It seems to me quite a few with a myopathy have it and a
      lift seems to be the only thing which helps. Anyone have any more
      information?
      Looking forward to hearing from you.
      take care pat
    • connie guinn
      Message 2 of 11 , Dec 3, 2003
        Hi, Pat!
        I want to tell you that evrything I have read from you
        about how you are experiencing mtm is so familiar to
        me. Your descriptions exactly describe my mother!
        She is weaker in her upper body than in her lower
        body. She had problems with falling down, eventually
        couldn't do stairs by age 32, and now, walks with a
        cane (very slowly)- she is 60. She has had burning/
        numbness in her feet for over 20 years. She has one
        leg shorter than the other. She has the cuffed boots
        that inflate at intervals, rhythmically. She uses
        CPAP at night due to her airway closing in when she
        sleeps. She has always had a fear of drowning. She
        gets her legs wrapped every mornig (due to swelling)-
        she can barely move them when she doesn't get them
        wrapped. She is obviously a carrier (since I am one).
        Every time I read more things from you, I immediately
        call her up and tell her. But, she is skeptical. She
        is very overweight, and all the medical people (and
        society- especially the media) have beat it into her
        head that all of her problems are caused by being
        overweight. I know the weight exacerbates the
        problems, but it doesn't CAUSE them!
        I, also, have experienced a few things: when I was
        little (grade school), I used to fall down a lot for
        no reason- no one could figure out why. Eventually I
        "outgrew" this, I guess, since I don't do it anymore.
        Also, 5 or 6 years back, I was given neurontin to help
        with some pain/ burning I was experiencing in my legs
        and feet. It was found that I have nerve damage in
        both of my feet and lower legs. I was diagnosed with
        peripheral neuropathy. As far as the legs go, I stay
        in a constant state of pain- burning, tingling,
        cramping, aching, or they are constantly numb. One
        or the other, and they switch back and forth all the
        time, and it is not preempted by anything- I cannot
        predict which way they will be, I just have wait and
        see. Most of the time, there is a general stiffness
        that I experience. I also am noting that the older I
        get, the more strength I lose in my upper body. I
        have always been really strong, but lately, I have
        noticed that there are times when I can't open a jar
        or pick up things that I have always been able to
        before. I think that this is all very
        interesting... Blessings to you! Godspeed.
        -Connie

        === message truncated ===

        =====
        Godspeed.
        -Connie

        Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now
        http://companion.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 11 , Dec 4, 2003
          Connie,
          It does seem that with mtm there is a pattern of symtoms. The only thing
          to remember though is that each case is different and can progress
          slower for some and faster for others.
          First off I am also overweight and I KNOW it exacerbates the mtm but it
          is NOT why I have the symtoms I do. Hey I don't need the doc to point
          out I could stand to shed some pounds after all I am not blind yet. lol
          I am the one who has to cart this excess baggage around with me
          everyday.
          This is JMHO but it sounds like both you and your mother are manifesting
          carrier of mtm.
          I use myself as a measuring stick for my son. I look at myself at his
          age and see he is going to be worse off than I am. He is 28. He has a
          very prounounced gait when he goes up stairs. Looks like he has to drag
          his body along each step he takes. I used to have to go up steps one
          step at a time always leading with one foot and then brining the other
          one up. Heaven forbid their was not a rail I could not get up would have
          to lean on someone for support. I used a cane before I went out on
          disability in 95. I initially went out on disability due to the
          congenital break in my back. However now I cannot walk more than a dozen
          steps without my husbands help and then it is very difficult.
          I am 52 and am in a chair all the time now. I can get into and out of
          the bathroom by hanging onto things. Am absolute dead weight if I fall
          and cannot get up at all on my own. I have to almost have my legs locked
          under me before I take on my own weight again. When last I was able to
          do stairs I would put my one foot on the next step up hang onto the rail
          and my husband would pull me up using my other hand.
          If your mom would like to email me direct feel free to give her my addy.
          You can use this one or I am on the one at our site lots of times. It is
          mdaww@....
          I have the nerve pain, spasms, cramps etc. in my legs too. Can be very
          annoying especially if it wakes me up at nite. I was on neurontin but
          the both thimes they bumped up the does my leg has gotten really nasty
          ulcers so I am off of that for good. I have heard from several other ppl
          who have had a bad reaction to neurontin also. I take baclofen,
          mestinon, and lortab for the md, nerve pain and cramps. Nothing they can
          really give me for the nerve damage besides the neurontin. I guess like
          you and your mom we have to suffer. Do you ever get the reaction from
          ppl they are surprised having md that you are in pain? I get that quite
          often here as well as ppl saying too bad you have MS. GRRR! (S) What
          tests did they run on you and your mom if any for the md and the
          neuropathy?
          take care and God Bless
          Look forward to hearing from you.
          pat