Fwd: FW: Gas War-It is worth a try. Please read!

  • connie guinn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 2, 2006

        GAS WAR - an idea that WILL work
        This was originally sent by a retired Coca Cola executive. It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Halliburton.  It's worth your consideration.

        Join the resistance!!!! I hear we are  going to hit close to $4.00 a gallon by next summer and it might go higher!! Want gasoline prices to come down? We need to take   some intelligent, united action.

       Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.  This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign that was going around last April or May!
        The oil   companies just laughed at that because they knew we wouldn't continue to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas. It was more of an inconvenience to us than it was a problem for them.  BUT, whoever thought of this idea, has come up with a plan that can really work. Please read on and join with us!

        By now you're probably thinking gasoline priced at about $1.50 is super cheap.  Me too! It is currently $2.79 for regular unleaded in my town. Now that the oil companies and the OPEC nations have conditioned us to think that the cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $1.50 - $1.75, we need to take aggressive action to teach them that   BUYERS control the marketplace..not sellers. With the price of gasoline going up more each day, we consumers need to take action. One way we can see the price of gas come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook by not purchasing their gas!  And, we can do that WITHOUT   hurting ourselves.
        How?

       Since we all rely on our cars, we can't just stop buying gas.  But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if we all act together to force a price war.
        Here's the idea: For the rest of this year, DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the two biggest companies(which now are one), EXXON and MOBIL.  If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined to reduce their
      prices.  If they reduce their prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.  But to have an impact, we need   to reach literally millions of Exxon and Mobil gas buyers.
      It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain how simple it is to reach millions of people!!
        I   am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us
      send it to at least ten  more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and those 300 send it to at least ten more (300 x 10 = 3,000)...and so on, by the time the message reaches the sixth group   of people, we will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers.

        If those three million get excited and pass this on to ten friends each, then 30 million people will have been contacted!   If it goes one level further, you guessed it..... THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!                      Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.
        That's all!  If you don't understand how we can reach 300 million and all you have to do is send this to 10 people....
        Well, let's face it, you just aren't a mathematician.
      But I am. So trust me on this one.) :-)
        How long would all that take?  If each of us sends
      this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of
      receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably be
       contacted within the next 8 days!!! I'll bet you didn't think you and I had that much potential, did you!     Acting together we can make a difference.
        If this makes sense to you, please pass this message on.   I suggest that we not buy from EXXON/MOBIL UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR  PRICES TO THE $1.30 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN.  THIS CAN REALLY WORK!!!

      Upgrade Your Email - Click here!

    • Wright, Janice (J)
      Message 2 of 3 , May 2, 2006

        Note : This is slightly tongue in cheek – but the company I work for (Sasol) has the technology to extract Gas to Liquid (GTL) and Coal to Liquid (CTL). Although we are still pay a relatively high price for fuel as they are in the process of commissioning a plant in SA, and Jess investigating a plant in Darwin (!!!!) and in China (!!!!!). Some advantages to living in SA(?).

        Janice Wright

        We are paying roughly $5.15USD per gallon here in Australia right now. We can't even afford to go out on family drives anymore :(
        This is impacting on food prices etc.. It's bloody ridiculous!
        Jess

        http://www.eset.com

        --

        "I am too much of a skeptic to deny the possibility of anything."
        Thomas Henry Huxley (1825-1895)

        NOTICE: Please note that this eMail, and the contents thereof, is subject to the standard Sasol eMail legal notice which may be found at: http://www.sasol.com/legalnotices

        If you cannot access the legal notice through the URL attached and you wish to receive a copy thereof please send an eMail to legalnotice@...

      • Richard and Connie Guinn
        Message 3 of 3 , May 4, 2006
          FYI...

          Here is what the famous "Urban Legends" website
          (snopes.com) says about the gas war idea:

          "Origins: This year's litany of complaints about gasoline prices
          is a re-run of the same program from years past: Gasoline prices in
          the USA are too high; gasoline is a unique commodity whose price
          isn't subject to the usual market forces of supply and demand; OPEC
          and greedy American oil companies secretly manipulate the market to
          keep prices artificially high; and a simple boycott of a couple of
          brands of gasoline will rectify all
          this.

          Oil companies can manipulate their prices somewhat by controlling
          how much gasoline they produce and where they sell it, but they
          can't alter the basics of supply and demand: prices go down when
          people buy less of a good, prices go up when people buy more of a
          good, and prices go way up when demand outstrips available supply.
          The "gas out" schemes that propose to alter the demand side of the
          equation by shunning one or two specific brands of gasoline for a
          while won't work, however, because they're based on the
          misconception that an oil company's only outlet for gasoline is its
          own branded service stations. That isn't the case: gasoline is a
          fungible commodity, so if one oil company's product isn't being
          bought up in one particular market or outlet, it will simply sell
          its output to (or through) other outlets:
          Economics Prof. Pat Welch of St. Louis University says any boycott
          of "bad guy" gasoline in favor of "good guy" brands would have some
          unintended (and unhappy) results.

          . . . Welch says the law of supply and demand is set in stone. "To
          meet the sudden demand," he says, "the good guys would have to buy
          gasoline wholesale from the bad guys, who are suddenly stuck with
          unwanted gasoline."

          So motorists would end up . . . paying more for it, because they'd
          be buying it at fewer stations.

          And yes, oil companies do buy and sell from one another. Mike Right
          of AAA Missouri says, "If a company has a station that can be served
          more economically by a competitor's refinery, they'll do it."

          Right adds, "In some cases, gasoline retailers have no refinery at
          all. Some convenience-store chains sell a lot of gasoline ¬ó and buy
          it all from somebody else's refinery."
          A boycott of a couple of brands of gasoline won't result in lower
          overall prices. Prices at all the non-boycotted outlets would rise
          due to the temporarily limited supply and increased demand, making
          the original prices look cheap by comparison. The shunned outlets
          could then make a killing by offering gasoline at its "normal"
          (i.e., pre-boycott) price or by selling off their output to the non-
          boycotted companies, who will need the extra supply to meet demand.
          The only person who really gets hurt in this proposed scheme is the
          service station operator, who has almost no control over the price
          of gasoline.

          The only practical way of reducing gasoline prices is through the
          straightforward means of buying less gasoline, not through a simple
          and painless scheme of just shifting where we buy it. The
          inconvenience of driving less is a hardship too many people
          apparently aren't willing to endure, however."

          This being said, however, you should also know that
          there is a town in the state of Texas whose Mayor
          has decided that the entire town should participate
          in a ban on Exxon/Mobil gas until the price lowers.
          He has made this official.

          So, you decide.
          -Connie

          -- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, connie guinn