MOTHER OF TWO

  • Renee <renee_b_88@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2003
      HI. I am a single mother of two young children. My son is 12 my
      daughter is 2. I had a son born in 1988 with MTM he died a month
      after his birth. About ten yrs. ago my mother was diagnosed with MTM.
      I was diagnosed a lil less than a yr. ago. I am absolutly frustrated
      with my doctor's because they have no idea what they are dealing
      with. Started physical therapy last week and it has made me feel
      worse. I need relief and haven't been able to find any. Does anyone
      have any suggestions on what I can do to be more pro-active?
    • kbrowland2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 16, 2003
        In a message dated 2/16/2003 10:53:24 AM Eastern Standard Time, renee_b_88@... writes:

        was diagnosed a lil less than a yr. ago. I am absolutly frustrated
        with my doctor's because they have no idea what they are dealing
        with.

        I am so sorry about your son.

        You are the first adult I've seen in this email group with MTM.  I, too, was diagnosed with this disease.  Because both of my parents are already deceased, it is difficult to know where I got it from.

        I have an excellent doctor in Northern Virginia, but even he admits that he's only seen 5 cases of MTM in 15 years of practice.

        I don't have any real suggestions for you other than if you are not currently overweight, stay that way!!  I am seriously overweight and that makes the disease harder to cope with.  It also makes losing weight extremely difficult because I can't really exercise.

        I would be happy to try to communicate with you and share notes as much as possible.

        Kathy
      • Renee B.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 18, 2003
          Wow it's nice to know that I am not alone in this. my
          doctor knows nothing about MTM other than what she
          reads in the medical books. I am not sure you are
          aware of the Joshua Frase foundation, you can find it
          on the Internet, as a matter of fact I have a phone
          number for this Foundation.

          Alison Frase
          124 Crossroad Lake Dr.
          Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
          32082

          Phone: 1-888-817-josh

          I called her once and she gave me some useful
          information about supplements. Unfortunately I am
          overweight. I have two kids and work full time. Yes ,
          losing weight is extremely difficult. my mother has it
          as well and she too is overweight. She has lost some
          weight. If you could tell me what your symptoms are
          and generally how are you feeling. Are you working?

          Well take care and hope to hear from you soon

          RENEE

          http://shopping.yahoo.com
        • kbrowland2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 18, 2003
            In a message dated 2/18/2003 3:09:36 PM Eastern Standard Time, renee_b_88@... writes:

            If you could tell me what your symptoms are
            and generally how are you feeling. Are you working?

            Renee,

            I am sorry you have to go through this.  From my standpoint, it's not a lot of fun as I'm sure it's not for you.

            My symptoms are:  general weakness body-wide.  My neurologist said I am weaker in my upper body.  I have a very difficult time going up and down stairs and use a cane a lot for balance.  If I fall, I cannot get myself back up.  My eyes are also affected.  My eye doctor calls it "restricted gaze" meaning the muscles in my eyes will not allow my eyes to move too far in any one direction.  I am always very tired and if I overdo it, I will hurt so badly I can't stand it.

            I am working, but I went from 40 hours down to 32 around the time I got my diagnosis.  I also have two children, but they are foster, soon to be adopted, children.  My doctor is not thrilled about my taking on children, but they are a good distraction for me because it forces me not to dwell on my own limitations as much.

            What about you?  What kind of symptoms are you experiencing?

            Kathy