Need Car Seat Advice

  • briars_mom
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2005
      Hello all. We will be meeting with an equipment provider soon in
      regards to Briar's car seat situation. Briar has been able to use the
      car seat "norms" but if he continues to grow as he has been then his
      length will be a problem. The provider has mentioned the following
      that we will look at during our meeting: "Columbia", "Gorilla", and
      one by Snug Seat. I would love to hear all recommendations and
      comments on any of the above or if there are other types I should ask
      about. Briar doesn't have any ability to support his head on his
      own. He is able to hold his head back for short periods if rested
      against some type of support as long as he is not placed at a 90
      degree angle. He also has VERY weak trunk muscles so good support is
      necessary. I thought these tidbits may help with your suggestions.

      Thank you in advance for your always helpful replies.
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 5, 2005
        We use, and have used since Jacob was about 10 months old, a Costco Alpha-Omega 3-in-1 car seat.  It is fabulous.  It has a recline feature and we recline our van seat for extra reclining.  He is about 2 inches away from not fitting in it any longer, but it has been great for him.  We are now in the process of shopping for a van to put a lift into since Jacob now has a power wheelchair and is just too big to be lifting all the time.  I know it is important to encourage these boys to use their muscles as much as possible, but I just can't risk it in the car.  I've always been too scared that in an accident his head would go forward and I would be unable to lift it for him.  I can say he has pretty good head control and can lift his head, but that wouldn't be the case if he were unconscious.  Then his trach would be covered and his airway compromised.

        Anyways, I hope this has helped.

        Oh yeah, I just remembered, we tried a Tumble Forms Carrie car seat once and didn't really care for it.  We just use it as an extra Tumble Forms seat around the house now.

        Good luck!!

        Amanda

        briars_mom <briars_mom@...> wrote:
        Hello all. We will be meeting with an equipment provider soon in
        regards to Briar's car seat situation. Briar has been able to use the
        car seat "norms" but if he continues to grow as he has been then his
        length will be a problem. The provider has mentioned the following
        that we will look at during our meeting: "Columbia", "Gorilla", and
        one by Snug Seat. I would love to hear all recommendations and
        comments on any of the above or if there are other types I should ask
        about. Briar doesn't have any ability to support his head on his
        own. He is able to hold his head back for short periods if rested
        against some type of support as long as he is not placed at a 90
        degree angle. He also has VERY weak trunk muscles so good support is
        necessary. I thought these tidbits may help with your suggestions.

        Thank you in advance for your always helpful replies.

        Affected by disease? Support health awareness efforts at Network for Good.
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/qnM_qD/cnQLAA/xGEGAA/VzSolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Yahoo! for Good

      • Scott Fontana
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
          We recently went through this with Mason. He is getting so big, but still needs the support of a 5 point restraint. We currently use the Snugseat 1000, this seat has been awesome for us, as it is really light (probably less than 10 lbs). I don't know if this seat is still manufactured though as I cannot find any info about it on the net. When looking at big boy car seats we found the  Gorilla, one by Columbia, and the Britax Husky to be the only seats that accomodated bigger children and still offered the 5 point restraint. These seats all looked very big and heavy.
          Another option we looked at was the Bruno Turny with Carony seating system. This is where the entire seat in your van turns and slides out onto a wheelchair type frame. I believe there is a pediatric version of this just coming onto market.
          Mason has a wheelchair which offers him the support he needs, so we went ahead and bought  a wheelchair van. Like Jacob, it was getting hard to lift Mason in out of  his carseat all the time. We went with the rear entry Toyota Sienna Rampvan. I know buying a van may not be practical, but we were able to get assistance from our regional center. Mason qualifies for regional center services. The regional center paid for the cost of the conversion, we had to pay for the base van. So for example a modified wheelchair van may cost $50,000 we only had to pay the $30,000 for the base van while the regional center paid for the $20,000 conversion. Hope this helps.

          Scott

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 6, 2005
            For Javad we found the Britax to be an excellent carseat! He has used it since
            he was very young and still fits into it . We are hoping that he will still be able
            to use it until December (or maybe longer). That's at least 3 years out of one
            car seat, pretty good deal! It reclines and offers lots of support. I also know it
            has an excellent crash rating!

            Hope this helps!

            Shannon
          • Dana
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 8, 2005
              Hi!! I am still new so this is my first reply and I hope that I do it
              right and do not embaress myself. We have had the Britax Traveler car
              seat for about 5 months now and it works really well. It can be used
              up
              to 105 pounds. The only thing that I do not like about it is that it
              is
              very heavy, but I guess they all are. Good luck finding what you
              need.
              Dana (Cason's Mom)
              --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "briars_mom"

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 9, 2005
                Dana,
                Your message came through just fine.
                I don't know where you live but we are in Roanoke, VA. From time to time
                the police will do free checks on car seats to make sure they are being
                used correctly. I wish they had that when mine where young 30+ years
                ago. lol
                Just a thought.
                take care pat