Re: [Myotubular_Myopathy] 2000th post

  • ANN MILLER
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
      Hi Moz and Rachel,

      Congrats on being the 2000th message.  No prizes, just helpful
      info I hope.

      Kyle had a muscle biopsy done when he was 3 weeks old.  We
      had an answer in 4 weeks. His blood test never showed any-
      thing until they compared the biopsy results with the retesting
      of his blood.  Because of the info we got from the biopsy they
      were able to tell that his brother -to-be will also have MTM.
      Conner (Kyle's brother) is due to arrive around October 17th.

      Hopefully, you will have an answer soon.  I know the waiting
      is the hardest part.

      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 7, 2005
        Hi Shannon,

        Glad Javad is doing better.  Why do they have him on the prednisone?
        Asthma or inflamation?  Will it be a long term or short term thing?
        The doctors at Children's put Kyle on it one time when he was in the
        hospital.  His regular pulmo took him off.  He said the side effects were
        to great for what they had him on it for.    Kyle was on it for inflamation
        of the lungs.  Long term can cause several side effects that this boys
        don't need.   Look up this medication and check the side effects.  Ask
        your doctor if  there is anything else you can try first.  I would use this
        medicine as a last resort.  This is just my opinion though.

        Hopefully, Javad will be back to his old self in know time.  Just remember
        that with the trach, he is learning to breath a different way.

        Glad your workshop is going good.   I'm sure Javad loves having you
        home on weekends.  I'm glad you can do that.

        Love,

        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
          WooHoo!  2000th message!!  Here's to 10,000 more!

          Jacob was diagnosed based on family history and, unfortunately, a muscle biopsy.  I say unfortunately because there was really no need for it and I'm still not sure why my husband and I agreed to it.  We knew at the time he had xlmtm; I think we were hoping it wasn't.  Anyways, the biopsy was done on Wednesday and we had results that Monday.

          Best wishes!

          Love,
          Amanda

          Maurizio <badboymoz2004@...> wrote:
[...]

          Ever feel sad or cry for no reason at all? Depression. Narrated by Kate Hudson.

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • Maurizio
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
            Thanks all for the helpful info, we have an appointment on 20th
            September, well we have 2 of them really, one with a geneticist, and
            another one just 2 Hrs later with Neurologist/Paediatrician, I hope
            we will get an answer before that, there are many questions that
            will be answered with this diagnosis, like Rachel had a brother that
            died at just 2 days old, and a male cousin that died aged 2, both
            died of symptoms that could be accredited to XLMTM, also there
            mothers were carrying a lot of water during there pregnancies, not a
            lot is known about Rachel's brother as he died so early, but in the
            case of her cousin he had what we would now know to be typical
            symptoms of XLMTM, at the time however they only knew that it was
            some sort of muscle disease, as I see it, it was almost impossible
            to diagnose 26 years ago as it was more or less unknown and
            certainly not well understood, today however we have the knowledge,
            understanding and technology to do all this, which is why I get very
            annoyed at Dr's, they knew that it was something that only seemed to
            effect boys, this should have led them into looking at X link
            recessive inheritance, and from matching up the boys symptoms to a
            number of conditions that are passed on in that way, they should
            have came to the conclusion that XLMTM would explain all this and
            should have looked into it long ago, if the truth be known the Dr's
            would still be puzzled as to what could be wrong with Regan &
            Marconi, the only reason they are looking into it is because I told
            them that this is what I thought it was, NHS should change its name
            to DIY, but at least things are getting done now, if it wasn't for
            Marconi being born we would still have no idea what was wrong.

            The Dr's excuse is that the condition is so rare that its not
            something they need to know about as they will probably never
            encounter it, my answer to this is everybody knows what a conjoined
            twin is and XLMTM is far more common than that.

            Thanks again for all your help

            Moz & Rachel

            --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, Amanda Hollingsworth

          • Anne McAuliffe
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005
              Moz and Rachel
              If these people have had that little to do with MTM my thoughts are that you
              should insist on being referred to the many neuro muscular experts in the UK
              who have lots of first hand experience of XMTM. I know there's a team
              somewhere in the North and the Hammersmith (London) neuromuscular team are
              some of the best in the world. We had Tom's diagnosis in a flash despite no
              previous family history because the consultant we saw took one look at Tom
              (a 6 day old baby) and narrowed it down to very few conditions just on sight
              based on his vast experience (the neurologists at our local hospital just
              didn't have a clue and were happy to admit to that). He then did a few more
              quick tests on the spot, immediately narrowed it down to xMTM plus one other
              condition, did the muscle biopsy , looked under the microscope and
              immediately diagnosed xMTM. The blood tests were done as a matter of
              formality and I can't even remember how long they took to come back (it was
              certainly months) but it didn't matter because everyone was dead certain
              based on the biopsy. My bloods were done whenever I felt like it and they
              came back very quickly (1 month maybe).

              The fantastic thing about a rare condition in the UK is that you can just
              INSIST on seeing the experts no matter where they are. People may try to
              'keep the case' locally but they just can't do that. Our local hospital's
              paediatric respiratory consultant really wanted to look after Tom - I got
              the feeling she wanted an MTM on her CV, but we knew the absolute best guy
              in the country for the respiratory care of neuromuscular conditions was
              based at the Brompton and after one request to be transferred there for just
              that aspect of his care they did as we asked. We are still seen by our
              local hospital and have a local paediatric consultant for all Tom's regular
              care and acute episodes. The NHS is one of the best health systems in the
              world and there is absolutely no reason why your boys shouldn’t be seen by
              the right experts.

              Good luck
              Love
              Anne and Tom

> [...]

              > test, there is another way called linkage analysis that can be
              done
              > if we have more then one affected boy in the family, but in order
              > do this they have to be sure that it is MTM1 and not some other
              > condition, I don't really know why we need a diagnosis, as it will
              > not change the way we or the Dr's care for our boys, it will
              however
              > help us to predict how the condition will effect them in later
              life,
              > we know that MTM1 is thought to be non progressive, some other
              > conditions are progressive and can lead to long term problems, so
              in
              > that respect we are hoping that it is MTM1, and lets face it from
              > the boys symptoms as well as the fact that only boys in the family
              > are born this way, this makes me about 99% sure that it is MTM1.

            • kristin cypher
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 8, 2005

                Hello!

                I'm sorry to be replying to this so late....it was a super-busy weekend!  =)

                I would like to say up-front that I agree with everything everyone else has said in regard to insisting that you see the best people for Regan and Marconi.  Although we have sometimes had to take the initiative in locating the best care for Sebi, I really feel that this has helped him no end - especially when he was so little and more vulnerable.

                In regard to the diagnosis, I am really appalled at the way your doctors have gone about it, and I think it must be because they have no experience with MTM - or perhaps even most muscle diseases!!  Sebi was diagnosed through a muscle biopsy when he was 2 1/2 weeks old.  As I recall, we had the results back within 3 days (and this was only because it was the weekend, and they wanted to send the biopsy to a specialist, just to be sure).  After Sebi came home from the hospital, we had his blood drawn and sent to the University of Chicago to have it genetically mapped for MTM.  This took longer - 3 1/2 weeks - but it told us exactly what part of Sebi's DNA was affected by the MTM, and if they had seen this particular mutation on the MTM gene before (they hadn't).  They were also able to tell us that the protein substitution that caused Sebi's MTM was not as 'drastic' as most other MTM mutations, which gave us hope that he would be able to get very strong.  The way it was explained is that the protein that was substituted was very similar in size and type to what it normally is, and therefore, Sebi's symptoms would therefore be less severe.  At the time, we had already guessed this due to my brother's mild MTM, and Sebi's rapid improvement.  However, the geneticist stressed that although Sebi's mutation was the same as my brother's (they checked my brother's blood, too - and my sister's, to see if she was a carrier), he may not follow the same course as my brother (who you would never know has MTM).  This has proven true for us, as Sebi is generally weaker than my brother, while still having a very mild manifestation.

                I'm kind of rambling (sorry), but I think that the best course of action would be for you to insist on (at least) the bloodwork needed to map the MTM gene mutation.  Given your family history, I can't imagine that it would be anything other than MTM, so I don't think it's worth it to have the muscle biopsy done.  The only thing the biopsy will show are the cells with the central nucleus (the indicator of MTM), and it is MUCH more invasive than the bloodwork.  But, this is just my perspective, and the bloodwork in the US is very expensive if you don't already have a diagnosis, so you may have to have both the biopsy and then the bloodwork.  But, please get both, because w/o the bloodwork, no other members of your family can be tested.  We were also told that by mapping the mutation, we could have any future babies tested in utero for the disease, and know before they were born if they carry/manifest it.

                I hope this is helpful, it's kind of late and I've been all over the place.  I'm so sorry that your family has been struggling with the diagnosis.

                Warmly,

                Kristin

              • Maurizio
                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005
                  Thanks again everybody, its good to get another prospective on these
                  issues, one other thing I would like to mention is that when Rachel
                  was pregnant with her first son (who was born healthy), the Dr's
                  referred her to a geneticist on the back of what had happened to her
                  brother and cousin, to see if they could find anything wrong, they
                  took blood from her mother who was showing signs of some
                  neuromuscular disorder, this was done back in 1997 and they tested
                  for myotonic dystrophy, the letter they sent back said that they
                  were unable to find the problem, and the cause of BOYS being born
                  with these problems is unknown and required further investigation,
                  nothing was done until 5 years later when Regan was born, they then
                  looked at things like SMA and myotonic dystrophy AGAIN, now although
                  the symptoms of congenital myotonic dystrophy are almost identical
                  to XLMTM there are some differences, firstly congenital myotnic
                  dystrophy is passed on in an autosomnal dominant way and effects
                  both sexes equally it is also progressive and there will always be
                  some form of muscle weakness in the mother, now what really puzzles
                  me is how a geneticist could overlook X linked inheritance in a
                  family where the condition is know to be passed from mother to son,
                  and exclusively effects boys? On 20th September we will be seeing a
                  colleague of the geneticist who looked into it back in 1997, this
                  new geneticist is very eager to meet the boys as this condition is
                  quite rare and as a geneticist he had read a great deal on the
                  condition but has never seen it first hand, I spoke to him over the
                  phone and he sounded very exited and enthusiastic about meeting
                  them, which I think is great because if ever he comes across a boy
                  with the same symptoms being investigated for some other condition,
                  he may just remember our boys and suggest they look into XLMTM
                  especially if there is also a history of boys being affected in the
                  family.

                  Sorry to babble on so much, I've just got an itchy writing finger.

                  Thanks again, I think that the stuff written in these 2000+ posts
                  are like gold dust, the Dr's could learn a great deal from reading
                  them.

                  Moz & Rachel
                • Toni Abram
                  Message 8 of 10 , Aug 9, 2005

                    <<< On 20th September we will be seeing a colleague of the geneticist who looked into it back in 1997, this new geneticist is very eager to meet the boys as this condition is quite rare and as a geneticist he had read a great deal on the condition but has never seen it first hand, I spoke to him over the phone and he sounded very exited and enthusiastic about meeting them, which I think is great because if ever he comes across a boy with the same symptoms being investigated for some other condition, he may just remember our boys and suggest they look into XLMTM especially if there is also a history of boys being affected in the
                    family. >>>

                    This is great news, there are people out there who care sometimes it just takes a while to find them.  In a similar vein I thought I would share the following with you which I received recently, which was addressed to myself and Zak Hughes.

                    <<< I just wanted to take a moment to say thanks for your lovely story.  I'm a genetics resident  in North Carolina and am busy studying for my exams, I usually try to read somethig about the conditions I study and like to put a human side to it.  I came across your story and found it very inspiring.  I wanted to wish you all the very best and am sure you will do well.  thanks >>>

                    Hopefully one day this genetics resident will be pass their exams and carry this idealisim with them into their work.

                    Toni
[...]

                    Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.