Re: [Myotubular_Myopathy] Re: New to this group need some help

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
      Shannon, Welcome to the group. It can be very stressful when you first
      get a dx. There is not a lot out there and it just seems the unknown
      makes it hard.
      If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I gave our intro in
      Tina's email.
      Javad sounds like he is doing quite well. Happy Birthday. Wow 2 enjoy
      the time sure seemed to fly with my two.
      take care pat
    • Jessica Juckers
      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003

        Hi Tina,

        I am glad you found this group, the people here are amazing, and let you know you are not alone.

        I have a son who, Jack who is 14 months old. He has a G-tube, Trachy is on a Vent.

        We were told the same thing, that it was unfair to keep Jack on support as we had a 4 year old at the time to think about, we do not have home nursing here in Australia. So its hard to get support..

        I hope to hear more about you and your family,

        Take care

        Jessica

        Jacks webpage : www.caringbridge.org/oceania/jack

        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
          Hi, Pat!
          Yes, my immediate family is very supportive (husband,
          daughter, myself). As far as extended family goes- it
          is varied. We moved 9 hours away from all of our
          family (due to husband's job change) just 3 months
          before Benjamin was born. Most everyone came down
          when he was born and were supportive at the time,
          however, not living near him has skewed that original
          intent. I have even had close family suggest that
          after all these months I might reconsider taking my
          son off of the ventilator or maybe 'putting him in
          some kind of a HOME'. I know they are trying to think
          of what would be best for us- but, what about
          Benjamin? What about what's best for him? This
          saddens me that they view him the way a lot of medical
          personnel in the past (and present) viewed him- of
          course, a lot of them are medical personnel...
          As far as family history goes, it is very strange. My
          mother's family has a long history of male babies
          dying after birth: my great grandmother had 11 infant
          boys die shortly after birth, my grandmother had 1
          male neonate die shortly after birth, my mother had
          one male infant die, my aunt had 3 singleton male
          neonates and 1 set of twin male neonates die shortly
          after birth- in addition she had another set of male
          twins and one died shortly after birth, the other one
          is my cousin, John. She also had a set of girl twins.
          In 1987, one of these twins- my cousin, Shelly, had
          a male baby- who was very premature- who died 4 hours
          after being born. In 1989, she had a full term baby
          boy who was having trouble breathing. He was admitted
          to the NICU in a Missouri Children's hospital- 3 mos
          later, he was diagnosed with centro nuclear myopathy,
          and Shelly was told there was no hope for him
          (Gregory) and that they should be 'humane' and turn of
          the ventilator. They agreed at first, but she
          couldn't stand it and she made them re-intubate him.
          Several more times they pressured her to take him off,
          but each time, she had them put the tube back in. The
          last time this was done, Gregory surprised them all
          and began to breathe on his own! An hour later, he
          was still breathing on his own, and 3 days later, he
          was still breathing with no assistance! So, he was
          discharged to their home with a portable suction
          machine and an NG tube. They had him home for
          approximately 4 mos when a tragic thing happened.
          While in the car, their portable suction machine broke
          down. Sadly, by the time they could get him anywhere
          for help, it was too late- he aspirated and died.
          Then, the children's hospital contacted Shelly and
          said they were doing research on centro nuclear
          myopathy and that it was very rare. In fact, they
          were the "ONLY FAMILY IN THE USA REPORTED AS HAVING
          THIS" and they were certainly "THE ONLY FAMILY IN THE
          USA WITH A FAMILIAL LINKAGE OF CNM" So, they
          requested blood from everyone in the family who was
          sill alive, and they tested us. Using linkage
          analysis, they reported who was and was not a carrier.
          My mother was reported as a carrier. So were one of
          my sisters and I. Remember though, this 'research'
          was done in 1989, and the MTM1 gene was not discovered
          until 1996. Well, at the time, I was 17 years old,
          far removed from the rest of my mom's family (my
          father was in the military). In fact, I never knew
          this cousin of mine at all. Essentially, I tucked
          away this information on a back burner of my mind. I
          got married in 1994, and my daughter was born in 1995.
          In August of 2000, the children's hospital in
          Missouri re-contacted my cousin to tell her that they
          were going back over old research and they realized
          that all of the testing had been done incorrectly and
          that all of the results were skewed and wrong and that
          if we wanted to know real (true) results, we would
          have to get retested. Only, now they weren't't doing
          research anymore so we would each have to be tested at
          the U. of Chicago at the cost of $3,000 each.
          Knowing that no one had the money for this, and
          thinking that no one except she and her husband were
          interested, she told only one aunt about being
          contacted. In Sept of 2000, I became pregnant again.
          I was elated! it had been 6 long years of trying
          with no avail. The genetic testing done 11 years
          earlier was not on my mind at all- I had completely
          forgotten. My mother, however, did not, and she
          worried incessantly (to herself). Finally, she told
          my sisters her fear, and they approached me. 'How
          silly,' I thought. 'Such worriers!' When the first
          ultrasound revealed that I was carrying a boy- they
          really fretted. I brushed them casually aside,
          thinking, 'have they nothing better to do?' Our
          insurance did not cover the genetic testing from Uof
          Chicago. 'Just as well,' I thought. I mean, who wants
          to go through 5 more months of being pregnant, all the
          while KNOWING that something is wrong with their
          child? Not me. So, on June 21, 2001, my son, Elijah,
          was born! He was so beautiful and tiny and thin and
          floppy and... he wasn't breathing. 'This is not real.
          It isn't happening- it will all go away soon,' I
          thought. Then I watched while, for 30 minutes, my
          precious child was 'bagged', all the while being
          coaxed to breathe by the nurse who was squeezing the
          bag. I wanted to jump off of the bed and help him-
          his seemingly lifeless body kept puffing up off of and
          then, alternately, sinking back down onto the isolette
          with each contraction of the am-bu bag. Finally, the
          pediatrician arrived. (There are no major medical
          facilities where he was born). Elijah was swaddled
          quickly and placed in my arms for a few brief seconds.
          I could finally see his tiny little face, his thick,
          jet black hair, his beautiful long hands. I called
          out to him and he opened his eyes! Yes, he even
          turned his head in our direction, and he opened his
          mouth as if to cry- but no sound came out, only
          silence. All the while his color was becoming more
          and more dusky. He was whisked away and I was left
          numb, wondering what had just happened. Suddenly, I
          thought of LeeAnn- where was she? I needed to hold
          her. I wanted to be the one to tell her about her
          brother. My brother-in-law had taken LeeAnn and her
          cousins out to eat. I demanded to go to the nursery
          to see my son. When I arrived, I saw this big (22
          inches long) boy with this tiny frail body, hooked up
          to so many machines and wires. He looked so perfect,
          so peaceful. I asked to hold him. When he was placed
          in my arms it felt as if he were a hollow toy with
          some sort of battery-operated mechanism inside (the
          ventilator). I immediately fell in love! All around
          me was sadness- everywhere I looked. From family, to
          the nurses, to visitors, to the physicians- all were
          grim-faced or weeping, but I was smiling. I was
          proud! the doctor came over and told me that there
          was no hope for him. I just stared at him blankly. He
          said that my son would not live. 'Where is LeeAnn?' I
          thought again. She was so looking forward to having a
          baby brother- now what will she do? I don't want
          anyone else to tell her! Besides, they are wrong. We
          will just wait this out until morning- it will all be
          fine. But all evening long, people kept coming in
          weeping as if they were saying goodbye to him, in
          fact, they were saying 'goodbye' to him and 'I'm
          sorry' to us. The next morning, we were told that he
          was just barely alive. He was dying, cellularly,
          before our eyes. That it would be so much nicer for
          us if we could remember holding him without all the
          wires and tubes attached, but we only had a window of
          opportunity to do this, because he was slipping away
          minute by minute. We kept pushing the decision off
          longer and longer. But they were relentless. We were
          so tired and confused and scared. We didn't want our
          baby to die- and we certainly did not want to be the
          decider's of such fate. But, these are the
          'professionals'. Don't they know what they are
          talking about? Even family members who have medical
          backgrounds said things looked grim. Do we not have
          any support? Are we fools for not wanting what seemed
          so obviously right to all the 'knowledgeable' people?
          We argued to the last minute and persisted in 'just a
          little while longer' until we were exhausted.
          Regrettably, we relented, and our sweetie baby was
          extubated, and the machines were turned off. They
          handed him to us- he just kept looking up at us, his
          eyes moving back and forth from one of us to the
          other. We held him and rocked him and sung to him and
          prayed over him and cried for him for what seemed like
          only seconds... Soon, he was turning a different
          color. Is this real? LeeAnn ran to get the rest of
          the family; the rest of the time, Elijah was passed
          around from one person to the next, as each one took
          turns holding him and rocking him and weeping over
          him. I held him and held him and held him. I have
          never cried so much or so intensely in my life. I
          can't even tell you when it was that he passed- there
          was no definite moment. All together we had him alive
          with us for only 23 1/2 hours. A man from the funeral
          home came to get him, and we had to sign papers. I
          looked over at the isolette where he had lain, and I
          saw a small, square-shaped, bundle wrapped in the
          blankets used to line the isolettes. I walked over
          and laid my hand on the bundle- it was firm, a very
          snug wrap. But it definitely held the form of a small
          body. I knew this was what was left of my son. I
          turned away with bitter tears and a broken heart. An
          hour later, I walked out of the hospital with his
          packed diaper bag, my overnight bag, the balloons I
          had received during labor, and my daughter in my arms.
          Remorse? Regret? Constant sheering pain? Wishing
          for a second chance? A never- ending ache? Wondering
          how in the world so much could have occurred in so
          little time? Wondering how such a previously avid
          anti-euthanasia person could come to such a result?
          Me, too. It was all so sudden and so quick. We were
          so pressured and felt so isolated, alone, and
          powerless. Mix that with the extreme exhaustion, and
          emotional turbulence that go along with childbearing,
          and maybe there's an answer. Maybe I can now look not
          so judgmentally on those who have made similar
          choices. Maybe this experience made us strong enough
          to fight for Benjamin- no matter what. I believe
          things happen for a reason. I don't know what all the
          reasons are, but in the end, it all works out- doesn't
          it? Six months after Elijah was born, I became
          pregnant again. At 4 months, I found out it was a
          boy. At 6 months, we had a major career adjustment
          and we ended up moving- 9 hours away from our
          families. Benjamin was born on Sept 12, 2002 in a
          major city, near a major children's hospital. We had
          no idea going into the labor whether or not he would
          be affected, but we were prepared. We told them the
          possibilities, what the old literature says, what the
          reality is, what we wanted, and what they were to do-
          if he was affected. Because of this, they prepared
          the neonatology team and we planned an induction date.
          Benjamin, however, had other plans! He came 3 days
          before the planned induction!! Even so, the neo team
          was prepared- even at 1 am! He was intubated 6
          minutes after being born. He was in the NICU for 2
          1/2 months before he finally came home with us. He
          is an absolute treasure and a joy! A lot of hard
          work, too, but aren't all good things? I say, YES!!!
          Tonight is my night up with him- we do not have
          nurses on the weekends. Godspeed.
          -Connie

          href="http://www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/indexzep1.html">Wide
          > World of
          > MD</a>

        • dhahjh
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
            Tina, HI! I am glad you found this group also (I am also happy that
            it has been so active lately), because I love communicating with
            other mtm parents. Your story sounds much like ours. My son,
            Jacob, was born at 40 gest. age. We had no indication that anything
            would go wrong (although we knew my family history, but of course
            thought, "It will never happen to us!"). His doctor also told us
            that it would be best for us to take him off the vent, but from what
            we knew from my family history, these boys live happy, productive
            lives; there was no way we were letting that happen. The ONLY
            reason he was on/off the vent so much in the beginning was because
            he kept aspirating his oral secretions, so we began pushing for a
            trach and g-tube, and he finally got it at 5 weeks of age. He came
            home 10 days later and it has only been uphill since. He is know 21
            months (as of tomorrow) and is just as sharp as a tack. He just
            amazes me more and more everday with his intelligence and humor. I
            read were Connie said that Ben falls over purposefully when they try
            to sit him up. Jacob did/still does the same thing and he just
            thinks it is so funny. He will also fall back when I am holding him
            on my lap. He is also acts out "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and "Twinkle,
            Twinkle Little Star".

            Your family sounds divine, but you must be one busy mom! WOW! Four
            boys. I just have my Jacob and I feel overwhelmed sometimes, but I
            won't complain anymore; I will just think of you :-)
            Again, it is great to be able to chat with you. I hope we can keep
            this board busy. I like it especially because it is such a small
            group.

            Take care, Amanda (Jacob's mom)

            --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "miracleshappenant01"
            <miracleshappenant01@y...> wrote:
            > Hi everyone, my name is Tina Katz and I live in Monroe, CT with
            my 4
            > sons and husband. My baby Anthony not a baby anymore has
            Myotubular
            > Myopathy MTM1. He is 21/2 years old now and I am so very proud of
            > him. At birth we had no idea that anything was wrong until I
            > delivered and he wasn't breathing on his own. He was trached and
            > given a G-tube at 3 months. Prior to that I was told that Anthony
            > would have brain damage and it would be a unfair life for him and
            my
            > other 3 boys if we kept him on life support. Well with the
            support
            > of our family and God's love we knew what the right thing to do
            was.
            > He knows about 30 signs, he is so active and catches on so quickly
            > act out all the nursery rymes. I guess in 2 years I never knew
            these
            > groups existed. It would be great to be able to talk to another
            mom
            > that truly can say I know what your going through. Please let me
            > know if this is how I am supposed to communicate.
            > Thank You so much, Tina
          • dhahjh
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
              Connie, That is so fantastic that Ben can talk above his trach.
              Jacob has always made sounds above his, but never said anything. He
              now wears a passy-muir valve and has always made preliminary
              sounds. He also says "Hi", "uh-huh", and "huh-huh" - very cute. We
              are trying so hard to get him to talk and he actually mouths the
              words sometimes, but is having a hard time putting sound to it. He
              does know many signs, for which I am very thankful. He has no
              problem telling us exactly what he wants. Jacob also like to be
              hung upside down. His face will turn bright red and he just keeps
              signing, "more, more, more!". Too cute!

              Amanda (Jacob's mom)

              --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, connie guinn

              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                Connie,
                My husband is very supportive. I am an only child. My mom passed away 16
                years ago before we had a dx even of md. Looking back she also most
                likely was a manifesting carrier. My dad finally went in for the blood
                test and does not have md. Thus he does not talk about it at ALL with
                me. He will either change the subject or not reply at all. I contributed
                to an article in the Quest magazine about family reactions and then I
                sent him the article. Never heard if he read it or not. Here is the page
                if you care to read it.
                MD</a>
                Although our situations are different I can understand the
                disappointment and heartache family can cause.
                I have often wondered if I knew that we had x linked myotubular myopathy
                would I have still had my children and I can't see how I would have done
                things differently.
                As you say about Benjamin is such a joy!
                If you ever need to vent cuz family is giving you a hard time vent away!
                (G) BTDT
                I was wondering if you would mind if I put your story about Elijah and
                Benjamin on our site? I was fortunate, to have had my daughter Jennifer
                for 32 years before she succumbed to a complication of xmtm. When my son
                found out he has xmtm he blamed me. I just told him I had no way of
                knowing we had it and no matter what I love him very much. He is finally
                accepting it and taking better care of himself. He is 28.
                We also have an article on our site about mtm that is very inspirational
                also. It talks about the doc thinking the one patient would not live
                beyond his first year and he is still thriving at 12? not sure of his
                age now. He will accompany her on lectures from time to time. Nice to
                see when a doc can admit they were wrong. (S) Here is the article. <a
                href="www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/mtm.html">MTM</a>
                In todays day and age kids are given a much better chance of living
                longer and better quality of lives.
                You and others on this list are like a breath of fresh air. Your
                children are so precious and are lucky to have the parents they do that
                show through lots of hard work and love anything is possible.
                If anyone else would like to send their story or has a web site we would
                love to include yours as well. We feel it is important to get the word
                out on md. I get so tired of ppl saying oh you have ms. (GRR)
                Have really enjoyed all the successes of your children. Tx for sharing.
                Someone had asked where everyone was from. My husband and I live in
                Roanoke, VA U.S.A., at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Beautiful
                view out our windows.
                take care pat
              • connie guinn
                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 4, 2003
                  Pat, Thanks for your response- you certainly do have a
                  lot of experiences to share. I read the article- that
                  is so accurate. How would I go about putting
                  Elijah's and Benjamin's stories on your site? I know
                  the boy that you were mentioning (from your site).
                  His name is John Scoggin. We live 30 minutes from
                  them and we are in touch with them quite often. Take
                  care. Godspeed.
                  -Connie

                  href="http://www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/family.html">Family

                  http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 5, 2003
                    Connie, Thanks so much for allowing us to share your story. I will put
                    it on our site and let you know when it is on. Does Benjamin have a
                    favorite color or cartoon character or something? If he does I will try
                    and look for a background along those lines for the story.
                    Like Toni mentioned in her email ppl seems to enjoy reading the personal
                    stories. I think it gives them a much better picture of what living with
                    a nmd is like.
                    take care pat
                  • connie guinn
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 6, 2003
                      Pat,
                      benjamin's favorite, by far, is Elmo!! Godspeed.
                      -Connie