Re: New to this group need some help

  • smashintwo66
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
      Hi Tina,

      My name is Shannon. My son Javad is turning 2 tomorrow (Nov.1) and
      I just joined this group a week ago. My son had been misdoagnosed
      for the last 20 months and we were just told of his new diagnosis
      (centronuclear myopathy)last friday. In some ways this has been the
      longest week ever. This group is wonderful! I can't tell you how
      great it has been to have other people to talk to that truly
      understand the shoes you are wearing! I know how challenging it can
      be to have other children in the house. We also have 3 others (2 in
      high school and one in 5th grade) and they are all wonderful!
      Scheduling around games, homework, etc. Whew! They all adore
      Javad. Javad seems to be doing pretty well according to what I am
      gathering. He is not trached, has only been on a vent once, has a g-
      tube (his "buddy"). He can sit up on his own for a bit (it used to
      be about 30 minutes, but he had a setback with a broken leg) and is
      pretty active. I would love to talk to you more. I check the site
      every night. I feel like it's my time to be connected. :)

      Talk to you soon!

      Shannon

      PS Thanks to everyone else. You've been great!
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 31, 2003
        Shannon, Welcome to the group. It can be very stressful when you first
        get a dx. There is not a lot out there and it just seems the unknown
        makes it hard.
        If you have any questions please feel free to ask. I gave our intro in
        Tina's email.
        Javad sounds like he is doing quite well. Happy Birthday. Wow 2 enjoy
        the time sure seemed to fly with my two.
        take care pat
      • Jessica Juckers
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003

          Hi Tina,

          I am glad you found this group, the people here are amazing, and let you know you are not alone.

          I have a son who, Jack who is 14 months old. He has a G-tube, Trachy is on a Vent.

          We were told the same thing, that it was unfair to keep Jack on support as we had a 4 year old at the time to think about, we do not have home nursing here in Australia. So its hard to get support..

          I hope to hear more about you and your family,

          Take care

          Jessica

          Jacks webpage : www.caringbridge.org/oceania/jack

          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 1, 2003
            Hi, Pat!
            Yes, my immediate family is very supportive (husband,
            daughter, myself). As far as extended family goes- it
            is varied. We moved 9 hours away from all of our
            family (due to husband's job change) just 3 months
            before Benjamin was born. Most everyone came down
            when he was born and were supportive at the time,
            however, not living near him has skewed that original
            intent. I have even had close family suggest that
            after all these months I might reconsider taking my
            son off of the ventilator or maybe 'putting him in
            some kind of a HOME'. I know they are trying to think
            of what would be best for us- but, what about
            Benjamin? What about what's best for him? This
            saddens me that they view him the way a lot of medical
            personnel in the past (and present) viewed him- of
            course, a lot of them are medical personnel...
            As far as family history goes, it is very strange. My
            mother's family has a long history of male babies
            dying after birth: my great grandmother had 11 infant
            boys die shortly after birth, my grandmother had 1
            male neonate die shortly after birth, my mother had
            one male infant die, my aunt had 3 singleton male
            neonates and 1 set of twin male neonates die shortly
            after birth- in addition she had another set of male
            twins and one died shortly after birth, the other one
            is my cousin, John. She also had a set of girl twins.
            In 1987, one of these twins- my cousin, Shelly, had
            a male baby- who was very premature- who died 4 hours
            after being born. In 1989, she had a full term baby
            boy who was having trouble breathing. He was admitted
            to the NICU in a Missouri Children's hospital- 3 mos
            later, he was diagnosed with centro nuclear myopathy,
            and Shelly was told there was no hope for him
            (Gregory) and that they should be 'humane' and turn of
            the ventilator. They agreed at first, but she
            couldn't stand it and she made them re-intubate him.
            Several more times they pressured her to take him off,
            but each time, she had them put the tube back in. The
            last time this was done, Gregory surprised them all
            and began to breathe on his own! An hour later, he
            was still breathing on his own, and 3 days later, he
            was still breathing with no assistance! So, he was
            discharged to their home with a portable suction
            machine and an NG tube. They had him home for
            approximately 4 mos when a tragic thing happened.
            While in the car, their portable suction machine broke
            down. Sadly, by the time they could get him anywhere
            for help, it was too late- he aspirated and died.
            Then, the children's hospital contacted Shelly and
            said they were doing research on centro nuclear
            myopathy and that it was very rare. In fact, they
            were the "ONLY FAMILY IN THE USA REPORTED AS HAVING
            THIS" and they were certainly "THE ONLY FAMILY IN THE
            USA WITH A FAMILIAL LINKAGE OF CNM" So, they
            requested blood from everyone in the family who was
            sill alive, and they tested us. Using linkage
            analysis, they reported who was and was not a carrier.
            My mother was reported as a carrier. So were one of
            my sisters and I. Remember though, this 'research'
            was done in 1989, and the MTM1 gene was not discovered
            until 1996. Well, at the time, I was 17 years old,
            far removed from the rest of my mom's family (my
            father was in the military). In fact, I never knew
            this cousin of mine at all. Essentially, I tucked
            away this information on a back burner of my mind. I
            got married in 1994, and my daughter was born in 1995.
            In August of 2000, the children's hospital in
            Missouri re-contacted my cousin to tell her that they
            were going back over old research and they realized
            that all of the testing had been done incorrectly and
            that all of the results were skewed and wrong and that
            if we wanted to know real (true) results, we would
            have to get retested. Only, now they weren't't doing
            research anymore so we would each have to be tested at
            the U. of Chicago at the cost of $3,000 each.
            Knowing that no one had the money for this, and
            thinking that no one except she and her husband were
            interested, she told only one aunt about being
            contacted. In Sept of 2000, I became pregnant again.
            I was elated! it had been 6 long years of trying
            with no avail. The genetic testing done 11 years
            earlier was not on my mind at all- I had completely
            forgotten. My mother, however, did not, and she
            worried incessantly (to herself). Finally, she told
            my sisters her fear, and they approached me. 'How
            silly,' I thought. 'Such worriers!' When the first
            ultrasound revealed that I was carrying a boy- they
            really fretted. I brushed them casually aside,
            thinking, 'have they nothing better to do?' Our
            insurance did not cover the genetic testing from Uof
            Chicago. 'Just as well,' I thought. I mean, who wants
            to go through 5 more months of being pregnant, all the
            while KNOWING that something is wrong with their
            child? Not me. So, on June 21, 2001, my son, Elijah,
            was born! He was so beautiful and tiny and thin and
            floppy and... he wasn't breathing. 'This is not real.
            It isn't happening- it will all go away soon,' I
            thought. Then I watched while, for 30 minutes, my
            precious child was 'bagged', all the while being
            coaxed to breathe by the nurse who was squeezing the
            bag. I wanted to jump off of the bed and help him-
            his seemingly lifeless body kept puffing up off of and
            then, alternately, sinking back down onto the isolette
            with each contraction of the am-bu bag. Finally, the
            pediatrician arrived. (There are no major medical
            facilities where he was born). Elijah was swaddled
            quickly and placed in my arms for a few brief seconds.
            I could finally see his tiny little face, his thick,
            jet black hair, his beautiful long hands. I called
            out to him and he opened his eyes! Yes, he even
            turned his head in our direction, and he opened his
            mouth as if to cry- but no sound came out, only
            silence. All the while his color was becoming more
            and more dusky. He was whisked away and I was left
            numb, wondering what had just happened. Suddenly, I
            thought of LeeAnn- where was she? I needed to hold
            her. I wanted to be the one to tell her about her
            brother. My brother-in-law had taken LeeAnn and her
            cousins out to eat. I demanded to go to the nursery
            to see my son. When I arrived, I saw this big (22
            inches long) boy with this tiny frail body, hooked up
            to so many machines and wires. He looked so perfect,
            so peaceful. I asked to hold him. When he was placed
            in my arms it felt as if he were a hollow toy with
            some sort of battery-operated mechanism inside (the
            ventilator). I immediately fell in love! All around
            me was sadness- everywhere I looked. From family, to
            the nurses, to visitors, to the physicians- all were
            grim-faced or weeping, but I was smiling. I was
            proud! the doctor came over and told me that there
            was no hope for him. I just stared at him blankly. He
            said that my son would not live. 'Where is LeeAnn?' I
            thought again. She was so looking forward to having a
            baby brother- now what will she do? I don't want
            anyone else to tell her! Besides, they are wrong. We
            will just wait this out until morning- it will all be
            fine. But all evening long, people kept coming in
            weeping as if they were saying goodbye to him, in
            fact, they were saying 'goodbye' to him and 'I'm
            sorry' to us. The next morning, we were told that he
            was just barely alive. He was dying, cellularly,
            before our eyes. That it would be so much nicer for
            us if we could remember holding him without all the
            wires and tubes attached, but we only had a window of
            opportunity to do this, because he was slipping away
            minute by minute. We kept pushing the decision off
            longer and longer. But they were relentless. We were
            so tired and confused and scared. We didn't want our
            baby to die- and we certainly did not want to be the
            decider's of such fate. But, these are the
            'professionals'. Don't they know what they are
            talking about? Even family members who have medical
            backgrounds said things looked grim. Do we not have
            any support? Are we fools for not wanting what seemed
            so obviously right to all the 'knowledgeable' people?
            We argued to the last minute and persisted in 'just a
            little while longer' until we were exhausted.
            Regrettably, we relented, and our sweetie baby was
            extubated, and the machines were turned off. They
            handed him to us- he just kept looking up at us, his
            eyes moving back and forth from one of us to the
            other. We held him and rocked him and sung to him and
            prayed over him and cried for him for what seemed like
            only seconds... Soon, he was turning a different
            color. Is this real? LeeAnn ran to get the rest of
            the family; the rest of the time, Elijah was passed
            around from one person to the next, as each one took
            turns holding him and rocking him and weeping over
            him. I held him and held him and held him. I have
            never cried so much or so intensely in my life. I
            can't even tell you when it was that he passed- there
            was no definite moment. All together we had him alive
            with us for only 23 1/2 hours. A man from the funeral
            home came to get him, and we had to sign papers. I
            looked over at the isolette where he had lain, and I
            saw a small, square-shaped, bundle wrapped in the
            blankets used to line the isolettes. I walked over
            and laid my hand on the bundle- it was firm, a very
            snug wrap. But it definitely held the form of a small
            body. I knew this was what was left of my son. I
            turned away with bitter tears and a broken heart. An
            hour later, I walked out of the hospital with his
            packed diaper bag, my overnight bag, the balloons I
            had received during labor, and my daughter in my arms.
            Remorse? Regret? Constant sheering pain? Wishing
            for a second chance? A never- ending ache? Wondering
            how in the world so much could have occurred in so
            little time? Wondering how such a previously avid
            anti-euthanasia person could come to such a result?
            Me, too. It was all so sudden and so quick. We were
            so pressured and felt so isolated, alone, and
            powerless. Mix that with the extreme exhaustion, and
            emotional turbulence that go along with childbearing,
            and maybe there's an answer. Maybe I can now look not
            so judgmentally on those who have made similar
            choices. Maybe this experience made us strong enough
            to fight for Benjamin- no matter what. I believe
            things happen for a reason. I don't know what all the
            reasons are, but in the end, it all works out- doesn't
            it? Six months after Elijah was born, I became
            pregnant again. At 4 months, I found out it was a
            boy. At 6 months, we had a major career adjustment
            and we ended up moving- 9 hours away from our
            families. Benjamin was born on Sept 12, 2002 in a
            major city, near a major children's hospital. We had
            no idea going into the labor whether or not he would
            be affected, but we were prepared. We told them the
            possibilities, what the old literature says, what the
            reality is, what we wanted, and what they were to do-
            if he was affected. Because of this, they prepared
            the neonatology team and we planned an induction date.
            Benjamin, however, had other plans! He came 3 days
            before the planned induction!! Even so, the neo team
            was prepared- even at 1 am! He was intubated 6
            minutes after being born. He was in the NICU for 2
            1/2 months before he finally came home with us. He
            is an absolute treasure and a joy! A lot of hard
            work, too, but aren't all good things? I say, YES!!!
            Tonight is my night up with him- we do not have
            nurses on the weekends. Godspeed.
            -Connie

            href="http://www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/indexzep1.html">Wide
            > World of
            > MD</a>

          • dhahjh
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
              Tina, HI! I am glad you found this group also (I am also happy that
              it has been so active lately), because I love communicating with
              other mtm parents. Your story sounds much like ours. My son,
              Jacob, was born at 40 gest. age. We had no indication that anything
              would go wrong (although we knew my family history, but of course
              thought, "It will never happen to us!"). His doctor also told us
              that it would be best for us to take him off the vent, but from what
              we knew from my family history, these boys live happy, productive
              lives; there was no way we were letting that happen. The ONLY
              reason he was on/off the vent so much in the beginning was because
              he kept aspirating his oral secretions, so we began pushing for a
              trach and g-tube, and he finally got it at 5 weeks of age. He came
              home 10 days later and it has only been uphill since. He is know 21
              months (as of tomorrow) and is just as sharp as a tack. He just
              amazes me more and more everday with his intelligence and humor. I
              read were Connie said that Ben falls over purposefully when they try
              to sit him up. Jacob did/still does the same thing and he just
              thinks it is so funny. He will also fall back when I am holding him
              on my lap. He is also acts out "Itsy-Bitsy Spider" and "Twinkle,
              Twinkle Little Star".

              Your family sounds divine, but you must be one busy mom! WOW! Four
              boys. I just have my Jacob and I feel overwhelmed sometimes, but I
              won't complain anymore; I will just think of you :-)
              Again, it is great to be able to chat with you. I hope we can keep
              this board busy. I like it especially because it is such a small
              group.

              Take care, Amanda (Jacob's mom)

              --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "miracleshappenant01"
              <miracleshappenant01@y...> wrote:
              > Hi everyone, my name is Tina Katz and I live in Monroe, CT with
              my 4
              > sons and husband. My baby Anthony not a baby anymore has
              Myotubular
              > Myopathy MTM1. He is 21/2 years old now and I am so very proud of
              > him. At birth we had no idea that anything was wrong until I
              > delivered and he wasn't breathing on his own. He was trached and
              > given a G-tube at 3 months. Prior to that I was told that Anthony
              > would have brain damage and it would be a unfair life for him and
              my
              > other 3 boys if we kept him on life support. Well with the
              support
              > of our family and God's love we knew what the right thing to do
              was.
              > He knows about 30 signs, he is so active and catches on so quickly
              > act out all the nursery rymes. I guess in 2 years I never knew
              these
              > groups existed. It would be great to be able to talk to another
              mom
              > that truly can say I know what your going through. Please let me
              > know if this is how I am supposed to communicate.
              > Thank You so much, Tina
            • dhahjh
              Message 6 of 14 , Nov 2, 2003
                Connie, That is so fantastic that Ben can talk above his trach.
                Jacob has always made sounds above his, but never said anything. He
                now wears a passy-muir valve and has always made preliminary
                sounds. He also says "Hi", "uh-huh", and "huh-huh" - very cute. We
                are trying so hard to get him to talk and he actually mouths the
                words sometimes, but is having a hard time putting sound to it. He
                does know many signs, for which I am very thankful. He has no
                problem telling us exactly what he wants. Jacob also like to be
                hung upside down. His face will turn bright red and he just keeps
                signing, "more, more, more!". Too cute!

                Amanda (Jacob's mom)

                --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, connie guinn

                Message 7 of 14 , Nov 3, 2003
                  Connie,
                  My husband is very supportive. I am an only child. My mom passed away 16
                  years ago before we had a dx even of md. Looking back she also most
                  likely was a manifesting carrier. My dad finally went in for the blood
                  test and does not have md. Thus he does not talk about it at ALL with
                  me. He will either change the subject or not reply at all. I contributed
                  to an article in the Quest magazine about family reactions and then I
                  sent him the article. Never heard if he read it or not. Here is the page
                  if you care to read it.
                  MD</a>
                  Although our situations are different I can understand the
                  disappointment and heartache family can cause.
                  I have often wondered if I knew that we had x linked myotubular myopathy
                  would I have still had my children and I can't see how I would have done
                  things differently.
                  As you say about Benjamin is such a joy!
                  If you ever need to vent cuz family is giving you a hard time vent away!
                  (G) BTDT
                  I was wondering if you would mind if I put your story about Elijah and
                  Benjamin on our site? I was fortunate, to have had my daughter Jennifer
                  for 32 years before she succumbed to a complication of xmtm. When my son
                  found out he has xmtm he blamed me. I just told him I had no way of
                  knowing we had it and no matter what I love him very much. He is finally
                  accepting it and taking better care of himself. He is 28.
                  We also have an article on our site about mtm that is very inspirational
                  also. It talks about the doc thinking the one patient would not live
                  beyond his first year and he is still thriving at 12? not sure of his
                  age now. He will accompany her on lectures from time to time. Nice to
                  see when a doc can admit they were wrong. (S) Here is the article. <a
                  href="www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/mtm.html">MTM</a>
                  In todays day and age kids are given a much better chance of living
                  longer and better quality of lives.
                  You and others on this list are like a breath of fresh air. Your
                  children are so precious and are lucky to have the parents they do that
                  show through lots of hard work and love anything is possible.
                  If anyone else would like to send their story or has a web site we would
                  love to include yours as well. We feel it is important to get the word
                  out on md. I get so tired of ppl saying oh you have ms. (GRR)
                  Have really enjoyed all the successes of your children. Tx for sharing.
                  Someone had asked where everyone was from. My husband and I live in
                  Roanoke, VA U.S.A., at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Beautiful
                  view out our windows.
                  take care pat
                • connie guinn
                  Message 8 of 14 , Nov 4, 2003
                    Pat, Thanks for your response- you certainly do have a
                    lot of experiences to share. I read the article- that
                    is so accurate. How would I go about putting
                    Elijah's and Benjamin's stories on your site? I know
                    the boy that you were mentioning (from your site).
                    His name is John Scoggin. We live 30 minutes from
                    them and we are in touch with them quite often. Take
                    care. Godspeed.
                    -Connie

                    href="http://www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/family.html">Family

                    http://antispam.yahoo.com/whatsnewfree
                    Message 9 of 14 , Nov 5, 2003
                      Connie, Thanks so much for allowing us to share your story. I will put
                      it on our site and let you know when it is on. Does Benjamin have a
                      favorite color or cartoon character or something? If he does I will try
                      and look for a background along those lines for the story.
                      Like Toni mentioned in her email ppl seems to enjoy reading the personal
                      stories. I think it gives them a much better picture of what living with
                      a nmd is like.
                      take care pat
                    • connie guinn
                      Message 10 of 14 , Nov 6, 2003
                        Pat,
                        benjamin's favorite, by far, is Elmo!! Godspeed.
                        -Connie