FW: Matthew has passed on.

  • Alistair Wright
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 27, 2004

      Sorry, just found the addy for the group. We will post more detail later. Matthew is at peace.

      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 27, 2004
        Dear Janice and Alistair,

        I do not know what to say... :-( I'm very sad that Matthew has passed on. I cannot believe it. My tears are running... but he has gone in peace without having to fight with anything. I will light a candle when I come home again (now I have to go to hospital where Tobias is - I will update soon). May be Matthew now knows our first son, Adrian, because I think whereever they are, they will speak the same language! And one day we will meet our children again, I'm sure!

        I'm adding a little story. I know a nice poem, but I would have to translate it and in the moment I'm not able to, sorry.

        I wish you have the power to go through this. I'm thinking of you and Matthew!

        Take care,
        Rita & family

        The Angel
        by
        Hans Christian Andersen
        (1844)

        Whenever a good child dies, an angel of God comes down from heaven, takes the dead child in his arms, spreads out his great white wings, and flies with him over all the places which the child had loved during his life. Then he gathers a large handful of flowers, which he carries up to the Almighty, that they may bloom more brightly in heaven than they do on earth. And the Almighty presses the flowers to His heart, but He kisses the flower that pleases Him best, and it receives a voice, and is able to join the song of the chorus of bliss."
        These words were spoken by an angel of God, as he carried a dead child up to heaven, and the child listened as if in a dream. Then they passed over well-known spots, where the little one had often played, and through beautiful gardens full of lovely flowers.
        "Which of these shall we take with us to heaven to be transplanted there?" asked the angel.
        Close by grew a slender, beautiful, rose-bush, but some wicked hand had broken the stem, and the half-opened rosebuds hung faded and withered on the trailing branches.
        "Poor rose-bush!" said the child, "let us take it with us to heaven, that it may bloom above in God's garden."
        The angel took up the rose-bush; then he kissed the child, and the little one half opened his eyes. The angel gathered also some beautiful flowers, as well as a few humble buttercups and heart's-ease.
        "Now we have flowers enough," said the child; but the angel only nodded, he did not fly upward to heaven.
        It was night, and quite still in the great town. Here they remained, and the angel hovered over a small, narrow street, in which lay a large heap of straw, ashes, and sweepings from the houses of people who had removed. There lay fragments of plates, pieces of plaster, rags, old hats, and other rubbish not pleasant to see. Amidst all this confusion, the angel pointed to the pieces of a broken flower-pot, and to a lump of earth which had fallen out of it. The earth had been kept from falling to pieces by the roots of a withered field-flower, which had been thrown amongst the rubbish.
        "We will take this with us," said the angel, "I will tell you why as we fly along."
        And as they flew the angel related the history.
        "Down in that narrow lane, in a low cellar, lived a poor sick boy; he had been afflicted from his childhood, and even in his best days he could just manage to walk up and down the room on crutches once or twice, but no more. During some days in summer, the sunbeams would lie on the floor of the cellar for about half an hour. In this spot the poor sick boy would sit warming himself in the sunshine, and watching the red blood through his delicate fingers as he held them before his face. Then he would say he had been out, yet he knew nothing of the green forest in its spring verdure, till a neighbor's son brought him a green bough from a beech-tree. This he would place over his head, and fancy that he was in the beech-wood while the sun shone, and the birds carolled gayly. One spring day the neighbor's boy brought him some field-flowers, and among them was one to which the root still adhered. This he carefully planted in a flower-pot, and placed in a window-seat near his bed. And the flower had been planted by a fortunate hand, for it grew, put forth fresh shoots, and blossomed every year. It became a splendid flower-garden to the sick boy, and his little treasure upon earth. He watered it, and cherished it, and took care it should have the benefit of every sunbeam that found its way into the cellar, from the earliest morning ray to the evening sunset. The flower entwined itself even in his dreams-for him it bloomed, for him spread its perfume. And it gladdened his eyes, and to the flower he turned, even in death, when the Lord called him. He has been one year with God. During that time the flower has stood in the window, withered and forgotten, till at length cast out among the sweepings into the street, on the day of the lodgers' removal. And this poor flower, withered and faded as it is, we have added to our nosegay, because it gave more real joy than the most beautiful flower in the garden of a queen."
        "But how do you know all this?" asked the child whom the angel was carrying to heaven.
        "I know it," said the angel, "because I myself was the poor sick boy who walked upon crutches, and I know my own flower well."
        Then the child opened his eyes and looked into the glorious happy face of the angel, and at the same moment they found themselves in that heavenly home where all is happiness and joy. And God pressed the dead child to His heart, and wings were given him so that he could fly with the angel, hand in hand. Then the Almighty pressed all the flowers to His heart; but He kissed the withered field-flower, and it received a voice. Then it joined in the song of the angels, who surrounded the throne, some near, and others in a distant circle, but all equally happy. They all joined in the chorus of praise, both great and small,-the good, happy child, and the poor field-flower, that once lay withered and cast away on a heap of rubbish in a narrow, dark street.

        As Novalis - the poet of the "hymn of the night" - says: when somebody dies, a ghost (or how do you say????) is born.

        Every child, every adult has his own angel, who accompanies him since ever and who will accompany him furthermore - for longer than at deaths or births.
      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 27, 2004
          Dear Janice & Alistair, The Angels are rejoicing, for they received
          a blessed gift this morning. A little boy whose legs and lungs
          didn't work on Earth is now running and playing as he should.

          There are just no words I can say right now to make this any easier
          for you. But please remember, always, that you are in my thoughts
          and prayers.

          Love,
          The Hollingsworth Family
          Dennis, Amanda & Jacob

          --- In Myotubular_Myopathy@yahoogroups.com, "Alistair Wright"
          <alistair.wright@s...> wrote:
          > Sorry, just found the addy for the group. We will post more detail
          > later. Matthew is at peace.

        • TONI ABRAM
          Message 4 of 11 , Aug 27, 2004
            Janice and Alistair

            I am so sorry to hear about Matthew - it was such a shock.

            I really don't know what more I can say right now but please rest assured that I am thinking about you both.

            Toni

            Message 5 of 11 , Aug 27, 2004
              Janice and Alistair,

              The news of Matthew passing has left me speechless.  I don't know what to say other than we are deeply sorry and will keep each of you in our prays and thoughts.  I am happy he was not in pain.  I wish there was something I could say or do to make your pain easier, but I know there isn't.

              Love,

              Darlene and Kyle

              Message 6 of 11 , Aug 27, 2004
                May you find peace in this difficult time.  Even though we are just newly diagnosed with x-linked MTM, we feel a connection to all of you.  We will hug our Mason a little tighter tonight and be grateful for the time that we have him.

                Scott, Staceyanne & Mason Fontana
                Chico, California

                Message 7 of 11 , Aug 28, 2004
                  Janice & Alstair,
                  I am numb with the passing of Matthew. My prayers are with you both and
                  your family during this most difficult time. Like Alstair said at least
                  he did not suffer.
                  I lost my daughter to complications of the heart with xmtm also. She was
                  32. I was Blessed to have lots of time with her. The heaviness in my
                  heart will always be there.
                  I wish we lived closer but cyber hugs are all I can offer.
                  (((((HUGS))))) If you ever need to talk I am here.
                  take care pat
                  Message 8 of 11 , Aug 28, 2004
                    Alistar and Janice,

                    I have no words to express the depths of my sadness. I am hardly
                    able to write this through my sobs. My heart goes out to you. You
                    are always part of our family and I am glad that Matthew felt no
                    pain or was not ill. You are in my constant thoughts.

                    Shannon
                  • connie guinn
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 29, 2004
                      Janice and Alistair,
                      OMG :(    I am so sorry...  What do you need?  Is there anything we can do?  How is Nicholas?   I can't understand this- how can this be?  I am in shock.  I know you must still be grieving over your other loss (Cassandra).  You guys have been through so much lately.  I am deeply sorry.  I know you will miss Matthew terribly.  I think it is awesome that you really made his last birthday so spectacular, and that you were taking him out more   (even to the zoo!).  He was such a happy boy!  And you both fought so valiantly and constantly for him and his improvement- going to more lengths than most parents even know exist!  You did everything you could for him, and you did an outstanding job- you are both to be honored.  Above all else, Matthew was loved endlessly- and HE KNEW IT!!   Keep his memories alive with you.  Don't push them away, no matter how painful.  They will be the very things that comfort you later on.  My heart wells with sadness for you.  I will keep your family in my prayers.  I know this is difficult.  You guys will make it, though it won't be easy or quick.  You are two very strong and courageous people.  I will release a balloon in Matthew's memory.  ((((HUGS)))))
                      Godspeed,
                      -Connie

                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 29, 2004
                        Janice and Alistair,

                        So sorry to hear about Matthew. I will keep you both and your family
                        in my prayers.

                        Marva

                        <alistair.wright@s...> wrote:
                        > Sorry, just found the addy for the group. We will post more detail
                        > later. Matthew is at peace.

                      • Jacqueline
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 30, 2004
                          I AM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS. IF YOU WOULD ALLOW ME TO, I WOULD LIKE TO
                          PRAY FOR HIM, AND FOR YOU.