314Re: [Myotubular_Myopathy] From: Toni, 15th October 2003- Answer to Pat

  • connie guinn
    Dec 3, 2003
      Hi, Pat!
      I want to tell you that evrything I have read from you
      about how you are experiencing mtm is so familiar to
      me. Your descriptions exactly describe my mother!
      She is weaker in her upper body than in her lower
      body. She had problems with falling down, eventually
      couldn't do stairs by age 32, and now, walks with a
      cane (very slowly)- she is 60. She has had burning/
      numbness in her feet for over 20 years. She has one
      leg shorter than the other. She has the cuffed boots
      that inflate at intervals, rhythmically. She uses
      CPAP at night due to her airway closing in when she
      sleeps. She has always had a fear of drowning. She
      gets her legs wrapped every mornig (due to swelling)-
      she can barely move them when she doesn't get them
      wrapped. She is obviously a carrier (since I am one).
      Every time I read more things from you, I immediately
      call her up and tell her. But, she is skeptical. She
      is very overweight, and all the medical people (and
      society- especially the media) have beat it into her
      head that all of her problems are caused by being
      overweight. I know the weight exacerbates the
      problems, but it doesn't CAUSE them!
      I, also, have experienced a few things: when I was
      little (grade school), I used to fall down a lot for
      no reason- no one could figure out why. Eventually I
      "outgrew" this, I guess, since I don't do it anymore.
      Also, 5 or 6 years back, I was given neurontin to help
      with some pain/ burning I was experiencing in my legs
      and feet. It was found that I have nerve damage in
      both of my feet and lower legs. I was diagnosed with
      peripheral neuropathy. As far as the legs go, I stay
      in a constant state of pain- burning, tingling,
      cramping, aching, or they are constantly numb. One
      or the other, and they switch back and forth all the
      time, and it is not preempted by anything- I cannot
      predict which way they will be, I just have wait and
      see. Most of the time, there is a general stiffness
      that I experience. I also am noting that the older I
      get, the more strength I lose in my upper body. I
      have always been really strong, but lately, I have
      noticed that there are times when I can't open a jar
      or pick up things that I have always been able to
      before. I think that this is all very
      interesting... Blessings to you! Godspeed.
      -Connie

      href="http://www.wtv-zone.com/mdaww/indexzep1.html">Wide
> [...]

      > fitting me with a caliper but that never happened.
      > Looking back, there does seem that there were signs
      > with me that there was a problem. I didn't walk
      > until I was 18 months, I had bad asthma that kept me
      > in hospital a lot, I used to go up and downstairs on
      > my bottom but the symptoms don't appear to have been
      > put together or were considered sufficiently mild to
      > be ignored.
      >

      > I would be interested in reading the articles about
      > sleep studies and co2 build up at night. I will
      > take a look for them after I have finished writing
      > this.
      >

      > I have been having a burning / tingling pain in my
      > left thigh / knee for a couple of months now. It is
      > mostly at night, although over the last few days I
      > have noticed a dull ache during the day as well.
      > The physio has given me what I have already started
      > to refer to as my superhero wellies. They are like
      > boots which are attached by a hose to an electric
      > box. The box can be set to different pressures and
      > once it is switched on, the boots expand and
      > contract around the leg which I think is meant to
      > help with my circulation - I think the belief is
      > that the pain may be cramp or circulatory. Anyhow,
      > I shall give them a shot and see if I notice any
      > improvement. Apparently both are a side effect of
      > muscular conditions.
      >

      > I agree with you about people with this condition
      > being the best the best advocates. It is
      > unfortunate regarding the whole signature line
      > policy on this site, which I hope will not prevent
      > people getting the support they need but I guess it
      > is something with which we will have to abide. This
      > site has really taken off over the last couple of
      > months - 131 people have posted here in November,
      > there were only 3 in October 2001 and only 32 in
      > September of this year (for 4 months of this year
      > the postings were not even in double figures).
      >

      > From my own personal experience I understand that
      > when you are first diagnosed there is a hunger to
      > find as much information and speak to as many people
      > as possible. Also, I know that my understanding of
      > the other forms of this condition is very limited
      > and I felt there were others who could provide
      > better and more practical help than myself.
      >
      > I linked to this site earlier in the year as I have
      > done to Jessica's and as I will do to yours, because
      > I wanted people to have all the best possible
      > information at their fingertips in one place and not
      > to have to spend hours searching for it.
      >

      > When I was first diagnosed, I turned to the internet
      > for help and struggled to find information, largely
      > due to the fact that I was diagnosed with
      > Centronuclear Myopathy. Once I discovered that the
      > condition was also known as Myotubular Myopathy
      > things became easier and I found the Myotubular
      > Resource Group. Now, four years on there is my
      > site in the UK, several sites in America and now
      > Jessica's in Australia for people to turn to.
      >

      > Looking forward to hearing from you Pat.

      === message truncated ===

      =====
      Godspeed.
      -Connie