Is LinkedIn playing Games with Power Users again?

  • stanrelihan
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
      It's interesting to note that the vast majority (over 80%) of the
      TopLinked Top50 list have opted to be Free, rather than Premium
      LinkedIn users (as I have)

      As one of those folks (like you) who have helped LinkedIn grow, I find
      out that LinkedIn doesn't really care about me at all - in fact they
      resent 'Power Users' like you and me.

      I USED to be a Premium User - and in fact, through my Podcast series
      on The Connections Show (www.tinyurl.com/ConnectionsPodcast) used to
      be an ardent evangelist for more people to support LinkedIn by
      becoming Premium Users.

      The reasons for this were twofold:

      1) I believe(d) that if you're getting benefit from LinkedIn, it's
      probably a good idea to support it financially, so it can grow and
      prosper.

      2) By paying for the service, I had a right to expect a certain level
      of service. (compared to free users who just had to expect whatever
      LinkedIn chose to provide)

      It seems I was wrong - and ultimately, poor Customer Service,
      unanswered emails & unresolved problems led me to downgrade my paid
      account to a free one, in protest.

      Initially, this was only supposed to be for a month or two - but
      ongoing service difficulties etc have given me no reason to change my
      position.

      Now they're pulling their stunts again - this time with LinkedIn
      Search. I am no longer able to search my 1st & 2nd Degree connections.

      All results now show up as 3rd level connections only.

      In the panel on the left, the 1st & 2nd level connections are showing
      up as greyed out. (with 0 connections). However all my results are
      showing up in either Groups or 3rd + Everyone else.

      Are you having the same problem??

      Stan Relihan
    • Marc Freedman
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 24, 2010
        Stan,

        I get the same thing.  While I'm as sensitive to LI's tricks as you, this one looks like a bug because, in one example, a user is shown as a 3rd level contact in search results but a direct connection when her profile is viewed.  I assume they'll fix that.

        Best Regards,
        Marc

        stanrelihan wrote On 11/24/2010 11:53 PM:

[...]

      • John Stephen Veitch
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 25, 2010
          My reason for paying a fee is to get the opportunity to search for more people in a single search.  I imagined that the Inmails would be useful too.

          I find that I don't use the Inmails. I've currently got about 45 in reserve.
          Besides the reporting system on Inmails isn't working. I can't track the Inmails I've sent. I get the impression that they don't work very well.

          I'm also in a situation where LinkedIn won't let me connect to anyone else via another user. Essentially unless the person I want to connect to shares a group with me, I have to send an Inmail to make contact. A possible alternative is that the member makes an email address available, but most don't.

          So I'm not happy about the level of service I'm getting. Just for the moment, I'm trapped into continuing to pay. But that will change.

          John S Veitch
          The Network Ambassador

        • Marc Freedman
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 25, 2010
            (For the non-US or younger folks, this is a nod to the old Wendy's commercial with Clara Peller's famous line "Where's the beef" adjusted for LinkedIn from beef to meat to meet.  Yeah, maybe reaching too far for too little.)

            John, thanks for the feedback.  Let me add a few points.  I look forward to what others have to say.

            AMBASSADOR-LESS.  I too was a paying customer.  Ironic that many of us are active ambassadors.  Instead of LinkedIn giving US thanks of any kind, they antagonize or at best ignore us and expect us to accept it and pay them.  What's wrong with that equation?  It took me a few years of inertia to get over that!

            OUT-MAIL.  While a contact is worth $2-5 on the open market.  InMails are NOT.  They are not the same.  You don't get email or phone.  It requires the recipient to be current on LinkedIn and an active user.

            PAY-LESS.  I finally canceled my subscription.  Perhaps it would be different if I regularly used LI for search and contact.  But I don't.  InMails have limited value as above.  Customer service was uneven.   I don't see growth in its core networking product.  The value simply wasn't there.  I have not missed not being a paying customer.  They have done nothing to attract me in coming back.

            GROUPS.  As I predicted years ago, groups are becoming increasingly valuable to make direct contacts, bypassing the normal LinkedIn Intro/InMail routes.  While they're good for overall users numbers, I think they actually hurt premium users.  LI has not created any new premium-only features in this area.

            BEEF-LESS.  LinkedIn is profitable, has a monopolist position and a monster valuation.  So their free/premium formula has worked.  Why do they screw with that?

            As Stan notes, they keep reducing features.  But it doesn't just affect "power' users, but ALL users.  Instead of moving low-value frilly stuff from free to fee, like updates, Q&A, Twitter, etc., they cut CORE network features, like the view, size, and access to the network.  It's sad.  What kind of product vision is THAT?!?  Instead of removing features, they should develop valuable NEW core features to justify paying.

            Well, I've been writing this for 5 years now.  Nothing has changed.   Rant's over.  My two cents anyway.

            Happy Thanksgiving to all!
            Marc

            John Stephen Veitch wrote On 11/25/2010 2:43 PM:

[...]

          • StevenB
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 28, 2010
              Yep, that's Linkedin for you!

              - Steven Burda
              Sunday, 11-28-2010

              http://tinyurl.com/WhyLimit
              http://tinyurl.com/WhyTop4
            • Lonny Gulden
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 29, 2010

                I’m a Business Level client and have not experienced the problems you report.

                Lonny J. Gulden

                ChiefConnectionsOfficer.com                                    Web: www.chiefconnectionsofficer.com

                O: 952.829.7828                                                       Email: lonny@...

                M: 612.867.3560                                           LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/linkedinninja