RE: [Muzzleloaders] Re: New to muzzleload hunting

  • Mickey
    Message 1 of 6 , Dec 7, 2002

      Thank You for the information it is greatly appreciated. Mickey

      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 11, 2002
        Well, I'm glad I could help in any way. My son seems to have
        developed an interest in the modern MLs, so perhaps I may need to
        play with one.

        When I think of in lines, I think of sabots,... And something bothers
        me; I know that I weigh every ball I cast. I check for light weight
        balls. Maybe consider weighing the sabots, putting aside the lighter
        ones. And I really would weigh the bullets as well. Then I would
        combine the sabots I weighed with the bullets.

        Has anyone ever weighed those Pyrodex pellets? I tend to wonder about
        them as well. In any type of muzzleloading, I really feel strongly
        that consistency is the key. I may be just being anal, but I do know
        what has worked for me and many others. And BOY, does it work. LOL!

        Just a thought, and again, good luck with your choice.

        G_R_P
      • C.J. <bikn4god2@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003
          Mickey,

          It would depend on if you want to use the modern in-line rifles, or
          stick to tradional rifles. Usually, most folks put scopes on their
          in-line rifles, so that'll bring your cost up a little. You don't
          have to use a scope, they have good stock sights on these guns
          nowadays. But if you choose an optic, that'll cost you more.

          In-lines in the $300 range will be the CVA's, some of the Traditions
          models, and maybe a Thompson, if you get 'em on sale.

          If you like the traditional sidelocks, then you can go with the
          Hawken type rifles. To go with a good Pennsylvania or Kentucky
          rifle, you're getting into the $400-$500+ range. So that'd be a bit
          out of your budget. Sometimes you can find one on sale somewhere if
          you look hard enough.

          For a gun in a tight budget, you might might to go with the CVA's or
          even the Lymans if you find one on sale. I got mine for under $400.
          And it's a fine made rifle. The problem is, you can find the type of
          rifle you like, but they may only offer it in a barrel that shoots
          only round ball. Like a 1-66" or 1-60" twist. To shoot a conical or
          a sabot round you're going to need at least a 1-32" or something
          like that.

          My rifle sports a 1-60" twist, and I can only punch a round ball
          through it. I'm currently shooting a .495 round ball. But, the good
          thing about Lyman, you can get another barrel for about $150.

          For convenience, you can go with a percussion gun. Don't have to
          worry about moisture in your powder. Flintlocks are cool and fun to
          shoot, but require some additional accouterments as well as priming
          powder. You can get by priming with FFFg powder in a pinch, but
          mostly it's recommended to prime with FFFFg. With a percussion gun,
          you don't have to worry about that.

          Some of the new inlines can fire with either the #11 cap, a musket
          cap ( which I like best ) and the 209 shotgun primer. Your choice.

          Some folks like Pyrodex. It's ok. But I'm into "Black Powder", so I
          shoot the real thing. A little messier to clean up, and it corrodes
          your metal parts if you don't clean it up quick. And it fouls more
          than Pyrodex. But doggone, you can't beat all that fine smoke! Goex
          has come out with an equivilent called "Clear Shot". I haven't tried
          it yet, but would like to. Any of you boys know a dealer in NC?

          Good luck on your hunt for a rifle. I hope I helped ya a little
          bit. You'll turn up something good and then you'll be makin' meat!
          Hope to hear some good hunting stories from ya!

          CJ

          --- In Muzzleloaders@yahoogroups.com, "mscan1881" <mnscan@a...>
          wrote:
          > Please help me. I would like to start Muzzleloading this year for
          > whitetail deer in Michigan. I'm thinking inline with scope and
          > shooting sabots. A friend told me thats what he has and is happy.
          > Please help me with what kind of gun is best for me. Budget around
          > 300.00 dollars to get set-up and hunting. Any help would be
          greatly
          > appreciated. Thank You, Mickey Scanlon
        • Mickey
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 2, 2003

            Thank you for the info. Mickey

            wrote:
            > Please help me. I would like to start Muzzleloading this year for
            > whitetail deer in Michigan. I'm thinking inline with scope and
            > shooting sabots. A friend told me thats what he has and is happy.
            > Please help me with what kind of gun is best for me. Budget around
            > 300.00 dollars to get set-up and hunting. Any help would be
            greatly
            > appreciated. Thank You, Mickey Scanlon

            Muzzleloaders Group: