Re: [Muzzleloaders] God, guns and guts.

  • Dennis
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 30 9:44 AM
      Any idea where this is?   Must be near some farming area or else why build a mill?   Iron wheel, late 1800's bearings, sand stone or shale rock (so not a gold mining area), nice rebuilding work (40 years ago?).   I wonder what the sign once said?

      Dennis

      Message 2 of 11 , May 2, 2012
        I recently bought a nice used New Englander in .50 caliber for $180 shipped. It is no where near new-in-the-box but still a clean rifle. I would think that you could get $250 considering the condition it's in. But doing a search for T-C New Englander on Bing comes up with used ones in good shape going for between $150 and $200, with the majority being around $175. Now if you had the shotgun barrel to go with it, you would be able to get a whole lot more for it!

        -Kees-
      • Josh Wilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
          "Any idea where this is?"

          Dennis, its in Babcock State Park, WVa.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
            Thanks.  Did you notice the date that I had sent the question?   April 30.   I wondered where this got lost to.    I hope this reply does not go via smoke signal.

            Dennis

            From: Dennis <oldphardt@...>

            To: Muzzleloaders@yahoogroups.com

            Date: Monday, April 30, 2012, 12:44 PM

            From: The Backwards Turtle <backwardsturtle2@...>

            To: "Muzzleloaders" <Muzzleloaders@yahoogroups.com>

            Date: Monday, April 30, 2012, 4:27 PM

            This picture probably goes under the "guts" list. Building a mill, out in the middle of nowhere. No 911 to call for accidents or police. No fire insurance. No flood insurance. Probably no local store to buy a can of beans.

            http://i1204.photobucket.com/albums/bb420/TenPennyNails444/100_0643.jpg

          • The Backwards Turtle
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2012
              I was surprised to learn that it's a composite, but better that than none at all. My SO and some of her family visit that area a couple of times a year. Her grandson shot a bartender, and he's doing a bit of time out there. An unfortunate bit of WV history.

              If there were 500 documented mills in the late 1800s, then it should be possible to backtrack to the earliest. I'll see what an inquiry to the WV Dept. of Culture and History brings.

              http://www.wvculture.org/

              Several years ago, when there were bunches of farms for sale, and listed in the WV Dept. of Agriculture bulletin, we inquired about a farm that was part of the Lord Fairfax grant from the King of England, and surveyed by George Washington himself, when he was ranging over what was to become the State of WV in the far future. Well, young Washington surveyed the parcel of land as 100 acres. The present owners told us that the farm seemed rather large for 100 acres, so they had it surveyed from the air. Apparently it was kind of rugged. It was actually 180 acres. We should have bought it when we had the chance. Some coal company probably owns it now, and the rate they're leveling the mountains, some day my grandkids will be able to stand in Virginia and see over to Ohio.