patch thickness?

  • gv2shooter
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2003
      I went out on tues. to do a little target shooting. I wanted to try
      some shots with some pillow ticking that I got at a fabric store.
      Now my CVA Bobcat manual states that .015 in. is the recommended
      patch thickness. Using Remington .490 in. round ball and a .015
      precut patch is a medium snug fit. But when I loaded the same .490
      round ball and cut the patch of pillow ticking at the muzzle, it was
      a much tighter fit. The reason I'm trying the pillow ticking is
      because I want that ball/patch to be centered everytime and you
      can't get that with a precut patch.
      So what's the rule of thumb here? Is tighter better, or should I go
      back to the .015 precut patch? I haven't done an accuracy test on
      the round with the pillow ticking, but what concerns me is that it's
      tougher to load, I don't want to end up with a stuck round, or break
      a loading rod.
      Has anyone had this problem, and do you have any advice about it? By
      the way, what is the approx. thickness of pillow ticking?

      In need of suggestions,

      gv2shooter
    • greg marts
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2003
        Hi gv2,
                   Try spraying soapy water on your pillow ticking before loading, damp but not dripping wet. This will slide down the bore better as sometimes too much lube makes a patch fit too tight. Rule of thumb: a snug patch will be more accurate. If you switch to a steel ramrod you will never have to worry, as I have also broken a wooden ramrod and its no fun!

        Good shooting,
        Greg

        gv2shooter <gv2shooter@...> wrote:
[...]

        Muzzleloaders Group:

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • David
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2003
          --- In Muzzleloaders@yahoogroups.com, greg marts <gmarts_1999@y...>
          wrote:
          > Hi gv2,> gv2shooter <gv2shooter@h...> wrote:
          > I went out on tues. to do a little target shooting. I wanted to try
          > some shots with some pillow ticking that I got at a fabric store.
          > Now my CVA Bobcat manual states that .015 in. is the recommended
          > patch thickness. Using Remington .490 in. round ball and a .015
          > precut patch is a medium snug fit. But when I loaded the same .490
          > round ball and cut the patch of pillow ticking at the muzzle, it
          was
          > a much tighter fit. The reason I'm trying the pillow ticking is
          > because I want that ball/patch to be centered everytime and you
          > can't get that with a precut patch.
          > So what's the rule of thumb here? Is tighter better, or should I go
          > back to the .015 precut patch? I haven't done an accuracy test on
          > the round with the pillow ticking, but what concerns me is that
          it's
          > tougher to load, I don't want to end up with a stuck round, or
          break
          > a loading rod.
          Generally speaking the tighter the patch the better but the harder
          they are to load, annoying isn't it. I start with 15 thou then as
          fouling builds up swith to 10 thou.
          Dave
          > Has anyone had this problem, and do you have any advice about it?
          By
          > the way, what is the approx. thickness of pillow ticking?
          >
          > In need of suggestions,
          >
          > gv2shooter
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
          >

          > Muzzleloaders Group: