Twist & Bullet

  • John
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 2, 2003
      Hello everyone. I'm new to this type of firearm and I need to know
      what type of bullet to match up to a 1/48 twist barrel. I just
      bought a T/C Hawken and I plan to use it for deer and local matches.
      I will also be attending some Rendezvous so the bullet type will need
      to be one that was used prior to the Civil War.
      Thanks, Johnnny B. in Oshkosh, WI.
    • Rick DeWitt
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 2003
        A 1:48 barrel has an intermediate rate of twist and will fire conicals or a patched round ball.  For deer hunting, the conical is best, it carries more weight and has better terminal energy than the round ball.  For historically correct rendezvous matches and general target work, the patched round ball would be appropriate (and cheaper).

        YOU ARE THE ASSHOLE IN CHARGE OF YOUR OWN DESTINY!!!!!

        R. Lee Ermey

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • greg marts
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 2003
          Hi John,  A 1/48 twist barrel is for patched round balls. You could shoot a sabot or conical in the barrel, but the accuracy would be mediocre because the twist rate is not fast enough to stabilize the projectile. I have several Hawkens with a 1/24 twist Green Mountain barrels for sale that would be very accurate- in fact I just finished a .45 Hawken yesterday if you are interested.  www.restorationfirearms.com

          John <jboshk65@...> wrote:
          Hello everyone.  I'm new to this type of firearm and I need to know
          what type of bullet to match up to a 1/48 twist barrel.  I just
          bought a T/C Hawken and I plan to use it for deer and local matches.
          I will also be attending some Rendezvous so the bullet type will need
          to be one that was used prior to the Civil War.
          Thanks, Johnnny B. in Oshkosh, WI.

          Muzzleloaders Group:

          Do you Yahoo!?