13-year old Iranian schoolgirl facing death by stoning; flogged 55 times

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2004
      Sat. 30 Oct 2004

      13 year old schoolgirl facing death by stoning; flogged 55 times

      Iran Focus
      http://www.iranfocus.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid=633

      Tehran, Oct. 30 - Zhila Izadyar, the 13-year-old schoolgirl from the Iranian
      town of Marivan (north-western Iran) who is sentenced to be stoned to death
      is reported to be in poor health after she was lashed 55 times in prison.

      Azad Zamani of the Society for the Protection of Children’s Rights has said
      that Zhila’s health has been rapidly deteriorating.

      Zamani has managed to visit Zhila although under close supervision of the
      Iranian regime’s agents. Zamani stated that Zhila said, “I am scared; I want
      to go home; I want to be able to go back to school like other kids”.

      Zhila was convicted of having an incestuous relationship with her
      15-year-old brother and giving birth to an illegitimate child.

      Zhila is reported to have been in a very bad state while she has had to
      spend time in solitary confinement under close guard. Zamani had reported
      that Zhila now has a very bad eating pattern and she constantly vomits.

      Another source, who wished not to be named, said that Zhila has been beaten
      by guards while she in jail and has not been allowed to see her newborn
      child.

      Reports have also come out that Zhila’s brother Bakhtiar has also been
      flogged in prison. Zhila faces death by stoning while Bakhtiar faces 150
      lashes as well as prison time, according to the clerical judge who issued
      their verdict.