Washington Post's Bob Woodward: Saudi Arabia will boost oil output to help Bush win election

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 20, 2004

      My prediction that Saudi inspired Muslim groups will support George Bush in
      the next elections is often dismissed as alarmist speculation. However, as
      the November date approaches, I am even more convinced that these groups
      will do exactly what they have historically done; support the very people
      who screw them.

      Three things will be presented as justification to support Bush.

      1. Bush is against same-sex marriages
      2. Bush is religious man. He is dishing out money to Muslim groups and
      intellectuals under his 'faith based initiative'
      3. John Kerry is a Jew. This nonsense is already making the rounds on
      Internet and e-mail lists.

      If there was any doubt how the Muslim Mosque leadership will urge its
      followers to vote, read what their masters, the Saudis, are up to. Bob
      Woodward, one of the most respected journalists in the world, claims that
      the Saudi ruling gang will enhance oil production to lower gas prices at
      American pumps just in time for the election, to help Dubya.

      Shame on them.

      April 19, 2004: 7:09 AM EDT

      Saudis said to boost oil output
      No. 1 oil exporter will reportedly increase production before election in
      effort to help Bush.

      CNN Special Report
      http://money.cnn.com/2004/04/19/news/international/election_saudi/index.htm?
      cnn=yes

      NEW YORK (CNN) - A top Saudi official has assured President Bush that his
      country will increase oil production to lower gas prices before November to
      help the president's re-election prospects, according to a broadcast report
      Sunday.

      Washington Post journalist Bob Woodward, discussing his new book on the
      run-up to the Iraq war on CBS' '60 Minutes,' said Prince Bandar bin Sultan,
      the Saudi ambassador to the United States and a long-time friend of the Bush
      family, has given the pledge that "certainly over the summer, or as we get
      closer to the election, they could increase production several million
      barrels a day and the price would drop significantly."

      Earlier this month, the Saudi ambassador publicly said his country wants to
      stabilize world oil prices because of the effect a price spike might have on
      economies around the world, including Saudi Arabia. He did not link the
      effort to the U.S. election.

      Record-high gas prices have become an issue in the presidential race between
      Bush and the presumptive Democratic nominee, Sen. John Kerry.

      Kerry has criticized Bush for not doing more to bring high prices under
      control, while the Bush campaign has run ads noting that Kerry once
      supported a 50-cent per gallon increase in the federal gasoline tax, which
      would have meant even higher prices.

      Amid concerns that plans by OPEC to cut oil production could raise prices
      even further, Prince Bandar went to the White House April 1 to meet with
      National Security Adviser Condoleezza Rice and to deliver a message to Bush
      from Crown Prince Abdullah, the de facto Saudi ruler.

      Afterward, he told reporters that Saudi Arabia is committed to heading off
      any shortages in the world energy market.

      "We will not allow shortages in the market because that will hurt the world
      economy," he said. "Saudi Arabia does not live on the moon. When the world
      economy gets hurt, we get hurt also."

      He also said that the president and the crown prince "have been in touch on
      this subject for a while now."

      "Both leaders feel strongly that higher energy prices have a negative impact
      on the world economy and on the recovery of the world economy," Prince
      Bandar said. "We will not allow shortage of the markets of oil in the market
      to increase the prices."

      The ambassador said Saudi Arabia would like to see the price of oil, which
      now tops $33 a barrel, to be between $22 and $28 a barrel.

      OPEC has said it plans to cut production by as much as 1 million barrels per
      day in April, which would further increase prices. However, Saudi Arabia, as
      OPEC's most influential member and largest producer, could thwart those
      plans.