ISNA's new friends want moratorium on US immigration; steadfast support for Israel

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 13, 2004
      Friends,

      When I say that I feel the traditional leadership of US Muslims will back
      George Bush in November, people scoff at me. Well here is some evidence of
      where the backers of Bush in 2000 are taking us in 2004.

      ISNA has struck up a working relationship with the right-wing Christian
      evangelist National Temperance and Prohibition Council (NTPC) who are
      holding their annual conference at ISNA's headquarters.

      NTPC's President spoke to MuslimWakeup.Com and shared his views on a number
      of issues. According to MuslimWakeup.Com, on immigration, he said he favours
      a "10-year moratorium on immigration." He added that "If we let the entire
      world move here, our cities will begin looking like New Delhi. We have too
      many Mexicans coming here."

      ISNA's guest went on to say to the on-line magazine that he wants to cut off
      all aid to foreign countries except Israel. "Israel is a special case that
      needs to continue. You need to understand the evangelical view of that--the
      scripture indicates that at one point Israel will come back. Israel will be
      supported by the old lion and the young lion, interpreted as America and
      England," he added.

      Way to ISNA. Who will you invite next? Does no one in the US Muslim
      community understand the intellectual bankruptcy of our leadership?

      Read and reflect.

      Tarek Fatah
      ------------------------
      March 13, 2004

      "We Have Too Many Mexicans": An Interview with ISNA's Anti-Alcohol Partner,
      Howard Lydick

      By Ahmed Nassef
      MuslimWakeup.Com
      http://www.muslimwakeup.com/mainarchive/000629.php

      Howard Lydick is president of the National Temperance and Prohibition
      Council (NTPC), whose annual conference is being held this week at the
      headquarters of the Islamic Society of North America (ISNA) in Plainfield,
      IN at the invitation of Secretary General Sayyid M. Syeed.

      Lydick, a tax adjuster from Richardson, Texas, is also the vice presidential
      candidate of the Prohibition Party, which is a member group of the NTPC.

      ISNA joined the NTPC last year when Omer Bin Abdullah, editor of ISNA's
      Islamic Horizons Magazine, and Daoud Nassimi, ISNA East Zone committee
      member and vice chairman of the Council of Muslim Organizations of the
      Metropolitan Area of Washington, DC attended the Council's 2003 conference.

      MWU! launched a WakeUp! Call campaign on Thursday calling on ISNA to cancel
      the Conference.

      MWU!: Who are some of the members of the NTPC?

      Howard Lydick: There is the Prohibition Party, the Women's Christian
      Temperance Organization, the Good Templars, and ISNA. I represent the
      Independent Committee on Alcohol and Drugs for the United Methodist Church.

      MWU!: Is this committee officially sanctioned by the United Methodist
      Church?

      Howard Lydick: No, it is not. We formed it in 1994 after we tried to get the
      approval of the general board of the Church, but the national Church turned
      us down.

      MWU!: How did the involvement with ISNA begin?

      Howard Lydick: That began last year. I extended an invitation to [ISNA
      Secretary General Dr. Sayyid] Syeed and he graciously accepted. He sent
      [ISNA East Zone committee member] Daoud Nassimi to represent the
      organization at our convention last year in Silver Springs, Maryland. Mr.
      Nassimi became a member of the special committee formed last year to make a
      video on the 18th Amendment. We have gotten some very good ideas about it,
      and it seemed like it was going to happen. But the committee decided to
      delay the video because they thought it was better to have someone who
      abstains from alcohol do it.

      MWU!: Why are you having the annual meeting at the ISNA headquarters this
      year?

      Howard Lydick: They invited us. Daoud came back and said he talked to Dr.
      Syeed who extended an invitation to us to meet at the headquarters.

      MWU!: Are you worried about being involved with a Muslim group?

      Howard Lydick: The bulk of the people in America drink, so they are already
      angry with us. Unfortunately, you are not the only ones who have a few nuts.

      MWU!: As the vice-presidential candidate of the Prohibition Party, how would
      you deal with immigration?

      Howard Lydick: I'd put an immediate 10-year moratorium on immigration. If we
      let the entire world move here, our cities will begin looking like New
      Delhi. We have too many Mexicans coming here. They don't want to be good
      Americans. They still celebrate Cinco de Mayo instead of the Fourth of July.

      MWU!: How do you feel about going to the ISNA headquarters and seeing all
      the immigrants there?

      Howard Lydick: After I had my heart transplant in October of '95, the nurse
      had a red dot on her forehead. But no one could have taken better care of me
      than that person.

      MWU!: You also call for ending all US foreign aid. Does that include aid to
      Israel?

      Howard Lydick: Israel is a special case that needs to continue. You need to
      understand the evangelical view of that--the scripture indicates that at one
      point Israel will come back. Israel will be supported by the old lion and
      the young lion, interpreted as America and England. We will stand by and
      protect her. That rascal Arafat is the reason why there is no Palestinian
      State. He can't ever tell the truth. He is still trying to drive Israel into
      the sea.

      MWU!: Do you think ISNA will endorse you and your running mate in the 2004
      presidential elections?

      Howard Lydick: We would be happy to have it, since we have common views. We
      are certainly open to talk to anybody.

      MWU!: But why not vote for the Republicans?

      Howard Lydick: The Republican Party claims that they are broadminded, but
      they are nothing but political whores. We stand for what Republicans used to
      stand for: a husband supporting his wife, a man in good health should
      support himself.

      MWU!: What's your advice to Muslim Americans?

      Howard Lydick: There is a sect in Saudi Arabia that has very different views
      from the majority. They are running mosques in the US where they preach what
      Al-Qaeda is preaching. Something has to be done about that.